BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

1 hour ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Wasn't Garcia at the front of the 'look, Man City's Academy is producing players for the first team' line?

Didn't realise he'd been released.

Saw a bit of Aleix Garcia when he first burst onto the scene at Villarreal. Looked a neat, tidy player. Natural passing ability. 

Felt he went to City way too soon and his development appears to have stalled ever since.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Think you’re thinking about Eric Garcia mate? He’s the jewel in the crown there by all accounts.

Nah I'm thinking of the midfielder who's turned out for them occasionally.

Was listed with Folden as an example of their Academy doing it's job.

Edited by Exiled_Rover

Good news and a relief to get this deal done. Should be getting another 2-3 first XI players in quickly now to address the defence.

Not sure how him going down to Brockhall having his photos taken fits with 2 weeks of isolation and quarantine.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

It amazes me that anyone is remotely concerned about these rules anymore.

In this climate they cannot be enforced. Even those clubs who have broken the rules previously haven't been punished.

Birmingham got a meaningless points deduction, Derby got off Scott free and Wednesday are being punished for fiddling on their accounts, not overspending.

The attitude seems to be that it is fine for Derby to break the rules and spend more than everyone else using every trick in the book but yet we are meant to be well behaved and worry about overspending whilst we've a fraction of Derby's overheads. 

All suits Venkys though.

Think Shef We’d fans are concerned whatever the charge was, not sure I’d like to start a season 12 points adrift.

• Like 2

• Moderation Lead
26 minutes ago, sandstorm said:

Well done without a budget! ?

There were conflicting reports re the budget on here- we had two seasoned posters saying we didn’t have a pot to whizz in, then we had another saying there were no issues. 
As ever, one of them would be wrong, but one of the posters says the same every year, so I took their warning with a pinch of salt.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

I think Davenport is and will be a very assured operator in our midfield. He’s composed on the ball and will recycle possession for us.

Of the forward line, I would generally agree with all your points. Which is why, imo that come October, if the likes of BB, AA, Dack, SG, Chapman, Dolan!? aren’t pulling up any trees I fancy him to venture into the market for a last minute, Venkys style forward....

He may be, point being that at this moment in time, we cant be sure (but it would be a huge ask) that he can come in and fully replicate the very impressive standards that Downing set. We cannot expect that from him having never even started a game for us. I like the look of certain aspects of his game but indeed the main 2 stand out contributions were missing a sitter v West Brom and conceding a rash penalty. Downing gave us technical ability, know how, set piece ability, experience, he could be a big loss.

That being said, factoring in the obvious need for defenders which the manager has touched on (not that he actually did it last time but thats another matter!) as a given, I would say that the attacking areas, regardless of 433/4231 formation are far more in need of reinforcements than central midfield, which should be back of the line. Say for arguments sake that we do play 3, I would suspect that the first 3 are Travis, Evans and Holtby, then we have beyond that Johnson, Davenport, Buckley, Rothwell and if we were to revert to a 4-2-3-1, Dack.

As you show with your list of players and agree with me on. In terms of getting goals, we look light in terms of bodies across that front line. 2 of your list we can rely on in Armstrong and assuming there are no fitness worries, Dack. Gallagher and Brereton have huge question marks but even so, we are assuming that at least one of them will be in the team. Chapman, the massive question mark, and Dolan, a total rookie. Say we go with Armstrong, Brereton and Gallagher on the opening day, who comes on if we need something off the bench?!

There cant be any expectation or reliance on Dolan to have an impact in the first team this season. I personally have that same opinion about Vale and the still injured Butterworth. I dont mean we should never give them chances if and when we can (although I suspect maybe at least one of the latter 2 could benefit from a loan spell) but if we expect them to take to Championship football like a duck to water based on nothing but under 23 games, and they dont score or assist when given game time, we are looking round thinking who else can we turn to. I think with the kids, their emergence should be seen as a bonus.

As an aside, if we dont sign any attacking players, I think I would personally have Rankin Costello on the left hand side v Bournemouth on the opening day. As a full back, probably doesnt fit the agenda of keeping the goals out, plus we have Nyambe on his side. He is seemingly a more attacking player so I would like to see him played there.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

2-year deal with a club sided option of a further year.

Will wear number one shirt

Club confirmed two week isolation period.

Think we can forget about any experienced keeper joining now.

Still, he seems (from his YouTube videos) like he has something about him but I guess Walton could produce a similar video.

Welcome to the club.

42 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Good news and a relief to get this deal done. Should be getting another 2-3 first XI players in quickly now to address the defence.

Not sure how him going down to Brockhall having his photos taken fits with 2 weeks of isolation and quarantine.

Have you read Mowbray's comments after last night game about we are closing in on more? 

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

He may be, point being that at this moment in time, we cant be sure (but it would be a huge ask) that he can come in and fully replicate the very impressive standards that Downing set. We cannot expect that from him having never even started a game for us. I like the look of certain aspects of his game but indeed the main 2 stand out contributions were missing a sitter v West Brom and conceding a rash penalty. Downing gave us technical ability, know how, set piece ability, experience, he could be a big loss.

That being said, factoring in the obvious need for defenders which the manager has touched on (not that he actually did it last time but thats another matter!) as a given, I would say that the attacking areas, regardless of 433/4231 formation are far more in need of reinforcements than central midfield, which should be back of the line. Say for arguments sake that we do play 3, I would suspect that the first 3 are Travis, Evans and Holtby, then we have beyond that Johnson, Davenport, Buckley, Rothwell and if we were to revert to a 4-2-3-1, Dack.

As you show with your list of players and agree with me on. In terms of getting goals, we look light in terms of bodies across that front line. 2 of your list we can rely on in Armstrong and assuming there are no fitness worries, Dack. Gallagher and Brereton have huge question marks but even so, we are assuming that at least one of them will be in the team. Chapman, the massive question mark, and Dolan, a total rookie. Say we go with Armstrong, Brereton and Gallagher on the opening day, who comes on if we need something off the bench?!

There cant be any expectation or reliance on Dolan to have an impact in the first team this season. I personally have that same opinion about Vale and the still injured Butterworth. I dont mean we should never give them chances if and when we can (although I suspect maybe at least one of the latter 2 could benefit from a loan spell) but if we expect them to take to Championship football like a duck to water based on nothing but under 23 games, and they dont score or assist when given game time, we are looking round thinking who else can we turn to. I think with the kids, their emergence should be seen as a bonus.

As an aside, if we dont sign any attacking players, I think I would personally have Rankin Costello on the left hand side v Bournemouth on the opening day. As a full back, probably doesnt fit the agenda of keeping the goals out, plus we have Nyambe on his side. He is seemingly a more attacking player so I would like to see him played there.

Holtby playing as 3 man centre midfield seems to work at the minute? 

Maybe not having Downing will help us to terms of quickest of play and not slow it so much in terms of tempo of play. 

Looking at for opening day fixture I would be start with Brereton on the right of front 3 and Armstrong centre with either Rothwell or Rankin Costello or Chapman or Dolan on the left. Thats left position is available, down to one to grab it. You mention who can bring off the bench well Gallagher would be option along as who missed out for left position. (I am basing it 7 subs per bench and 3 allow on pitch not the stupid 5 subs). Plus Jack Vale

Why can't you expect Dolan to break through this season? He is performing and full of confidence then play him. 

I don't see the point in wasting money on back up striker we have so much talent available who could fill that void. Give them their chances. 

Well Lewis Travis took to Championship football like a duck to water. Me and few others(Stuart and ParsonBlue) who watched him for under 23's knew he had enough about his game to have the ability to cope and perform at this level. 

14 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Think we can forget about any experienced keeper joining now.

Still, he seems (from his YouTube videos) like he has something about him but I guess Walton could produce a similar video.

Welcome to the club.

Please could you explain How is Thomas Kaminski not experience with over 300 league games and games in Belgium top division and last year Europa League?

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Herbie6590 said:

I’m curious as to how the photos taken at the STC square off with the 14 day quarantine requirement...? Does that mean he could train at Brockhall as long as nobody else is there ? 

I think that is where the medical took place, and therefore he could attend the place before having to quarantine.

• Like 3

• Backroom
1 minute ago, Craigman said:

I think that is where the medical took place, and therefore he could attend the place before having to quarantine.

I expect they could house him at Brockhall for a couple of weeks?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

Have you read Mowbray's comments after last night game about we are closing in on more? 

Holtby playing as 3 man centre midfield seems to work at the minute? 

Maybe not having Downing will help us to terms of quickest of play and not slow it so much in terms of tempo of play. 

Looking at for opening day fixture I would be start with Brereton on the right of front 3 and Armstrong centre with either Rothwell or Rankin Costello or Chapman or Dolan on the left. Thats left position is available, down to one to grab it. You mention who can bring off the bench well Gallagher would be option along as who missed out for left position. (I am basing it 7 subs per bench and 3 allow on pitch not the stupid 5 subs). Plus Jack Vale

Why can't you expect Dolan to break through this season? He is performing and full of confidence then play him. 

I don't see the point in wasting money on back up striker we have so much talent available who could fill that void. Give them their chances. 

Well Lewis Travis took to Championship football like a duck to water. Me and few others(Stuart and ParsonBlue) who watched him for under 23's knew he had enough about his game to have the ability to cope and perform at this level. 

Dolan might be able to but we need to reign in the expectations somewhat. If he breaks through and starts regularly impact Championship games this season then brilliant but if we expect him to play an important role we are putting all our eggs into a basket and it is risky.

In terms of central positions, I would say that Armstrong, Gallagher, Brereton and Dack would all prefer to play centrally ideally. I think we need a first team player in a wide role that we can expect to have more of an impact. If Dolan, Vale etc make themself part of the first team this season impacting games week in week out, bonus.

Downing is a loss. He was our best passer centrally and knew how and when to take the sting out of the game. He also created chances far more than anyone else and took set pieces. Losing him weakens us compared to last season, no doubt about it, he was up there for player of the season. Whether he would have been able to replicate that this season, thats a different question. But we will miss him.

• Like 1

• Backroom
1 minute ago, rovers11 said:

Sounds like Del Boy is not far off from a move to Swansea. Strange signing for them. 

Thinking aloud.

We both want Ayala.

Mowbray offers them Williams on a free (no signing on fee required) to back off.

We sign Ayala.

*wake up*