BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

Plenty of comments like this from Gent fans which is a little worrying.

I am pleasantly surprised to see that his English is so good. That is key.

Also, hope Swansea take Williams as soon as possible. Strange from them, if we can get a fee and his wages off the books we can hopefully bring in 2 CBs there and improve.

Screenshot_20200826-132605_Twitter.jpg

Del is a decent backup/squad player at this level and thats about it I would be extremely surprised if they have him earmarked for the starting eleven.

As for Dolan, on the PNE boards the general consensus is that he had the raw ability but usually no end product, is too lightweight and is a head down kind of player.   

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Dolan might be able to but we need to reign in the expectations somewhat. If he breaks through and starts regularly impact Championship games this season then brilliant but if we expect him to play an important role we are putting all our eggs into a basket and it is risky.

In terms of central positions, I would say that Armstrong, Gallagher, Brereton and Dack would all prefer to play centrally ideally. I think we need a first team player in a wide role that we can expect to have more of an impact. If Dolan, Vale etc make themselves part of the first team this season impacting games week in week out, bonus.

Downing is a loss. He was our best passer centrally and knew how and when to take the sting out of the game. He also created chances far more than anyone else and took set pieces. Losing him weakens us compared to last season, no doubt about it, he was up there for player of the season. Whether he would have been able to replicate that this season, thats a different question. But we will miss him.

You want to reign in expectations of him. I haven't said I expect him to play an important role tho I said he is performing and confidence then play him. 

I don't see the point in blocking the pathway into the first team of our talent youngsters at this stage. People moan we don't get youngsters a go and now we have a perfect opportunity with Rankin Costello, Chapman, Dolan, Vale then people want to bring in another squad player who will block their path way. I would say give them their go now. Its the right time to do so

You will only now if he weaken and is miss by the season end position in May not now. We are playing differently without him. He had his chance to be part of this season squad and so far rejected coming back. Yes he was good player last season for us. Thats the past now. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

Sounds like Del Boy is not far off from a move to Swansea. Strange signing for them. 

Be an odd move all round that. We really can't let him go right now as that would leave us with just Lenihan as a first team CB (discounting Mulgrew who is out of favour)

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Also, hope Swansea take Williams as soon as possible. Strange from them, if we can get a fee and his wages off the books we can hopefully bring in 2 CBs there and improve.

Sometimes a change in enviroment/new club could change that. He could not have been that bad if he played almost 60 games for Gent.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Plenty? I saw 2.

Plenty.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Be an odd move all round that. We really can't let him go right now as that would leave us with just Lenihan as a first team CB (discounting Mulgrew who is out of favour)

Didn't bother us last year when we let Raya go.

Let's hope we have learned our lesson and that we have someone lined up for if he goes.

1 hour ago, sandstorm said:

Well done without a budget! ?

There's always been a budget are you suggesting Rovers didn't have one ?   Think the club would be selling everything that wasn't nailed down if there wasn't one.

Question was how much room if any there was for signings and so far it's now officially about 500k. Similar to that has been shaved off last seasons with released players.  Not sure why there should be any crowing done at the min.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, tomphil said:

There's always been a budget are you suggesting Rovers didn't have one ?   Think the club would be selling everything that wasn't nailed down if there wasn't one.

Question was how much room if any there was for signings and so far it's now officially about 500k. Similar to that has been shaved off last seasons with released players.  Not sure why there should be any crowing done at the min.

Well to be fair we have had a poster trying to suggest that is what we will be doing ,selling everthing.Altho he does say the same thing every year 

Be more than 500k spent so far if we are bringing wages into it.

12 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

You want to reign in expectations of him. I haven't said I expect him to play an important role tho I said he is performing and confidence then play him. 

I don't see the point in blocking the pathway into the first team of our talent youngsters at this stage. People moan we don't get youngsters a go and now we have a perfect opportunity with Rankin Costello, Chapman, Dolan, Vale then people want to bring in another squad player who will block their path way. I would say give them their go now. Its the right time to do so

You will only now if he weaken and is miss by the season end position in May not now. We are playing differently without him. He had his chance to be part of this season squad and so far rejected coming back. Yes he was good player last season for us. Thats the past now. 

Who moans about that? The thing with the 4 players that you mention, is that the first has played about 10 League games for the club, predominantly at full back. Chapman has massive question marks and has made one League start for us 3 years ago, the other 2 have 20 minutes of senior football between them.

We have Dack (who may struggle playing in a front 3, and a player you keep saying might not be the same player) and Armstrong who we know can score goals. Gallagher and Brereton too who are senior options but despite the giddiness over the latter getting a couple of (nicely taken) goals against Blackpools second string, have previously not shown that they are up to it. But even if we count all 4 of them as senior options who we are happy with, one of whom starts the season injured, beyond that its all question marks or totally untested kids.

For some reason, you dont seem to realise that we could add a player to potentially play in the wide areas, maybe even a loan, someone who has shown competence at senior level, without totally blocking the pathway to the kids, but equally without being reliant on them coming through otherwise if they arent ready then we are looking incredibly light. We are supposedly going for promotion. If the front 3 v Bournemouth is Armstrong, Gallagher and Brereton and we need a goal later on, who is beyond that who we can bank on?

As it is, if we did sign an attacking player, you would be right behind the signing regardless so little point in continuing.

11 minutes ago, Swanson said:

Sometimes a change in enviroment/new club could change that. He could not have been that bad if he played almost 60 games for Gent.

Of course. Its not a pure indicator, plus for a start, Gent regularly dominate so might be more scope to lose concentration.

I will judge on his displays in a Rovers shirt like anyone else, always have done, but just trying to add a bit of meat to the bones regarding a totally unknown player.

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

He placed far too fact and emphasis on other fans opinions on players. Why I don't know

Scroll past and dont comment chaddy if you have no interest.

• Like 1

I dont think Williams to Swansea is that odd at all. 

He's a good age, experienced at this level, played for Ireland and I suspect Mowbray would drive him to Swansea if it meant getting his wages off the books. He's not great by any stretch but reasonable cover for defence and won't cost much.

It seems clear to me that him and Mulgrew are the make weights to enable a couple of defenders to come in.

Its also obvious that something has been amiss with him since January with his mysterious injury.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Plenty? I saw 2.

Plenty.

Quite a few comments. Posted a couple of more positive ones too.

Just to clarify in case me sharing these comments underneath is twisted into me being negative, wanting him to fail etc. I am desperate for him to be a success, I know that there are various reasons why players have different experiences at different clubs and I will judge him as a Rovers player.

Screenshot_20200826-142155_WhatsApp.jpg

Screenshot_20200826-142135_WhatsApp.jpg

Screenshot_20200826-142105_Twitter.jpg

Screenshot_20200826-142042_WhatsApp.jpg

Screenshot_20200826-141851_Twitter.jpg

Screenshot_20200826-141843_Twitter.jpg

Screenshot_20200826-141834_Twitter.jpg

4 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Well to be fair we have had a poster trying to suggest that is what we will be doing ,selling everthing.Altho he does say the same thing every year 

Be more than 500k spent so far if we are bringing wages into it.

I still don't get why someone would bother signing up just to post sarcastic shit when we've no senior keepers and just spent a few hundred grand on one. It's a very welcome signing but at the same time it's an absolute necessity so the situation isn't to be laughed on.

Yes wages always come into it but are obviously spread over the contract and unlikely we are paying 500k in one go. I would think it's been pretty straightforwards to absorb this kind of signing so the next one will tell us far more about the finances.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JHRover said:

I dont think Williams to Swansea is that odd at all. 

He's a good age, experienced at this level, played for Ireland and I suspect Mowbray would drive him to Swansea if it meant getting his wages off the books. He's not great by any stretch but reasonable cover for defence and won't cost much.

It seems clear to me that him and Mulgrew are the make weights to enable a couple of defenders to come in.

Its also obvious that something has been amiss with him since January with his mysterious injury.

Don't think anything amiss personally.

He wants first team football which he isn't getting here.

Last season he informed the manager he wanted to be considered centre half only, and when fit found himself on the bench behind a superior player in Tosin.

Taking all the above into account quite possible he has asked to move on,he is ok cover but if him moving on allows a bit extra being spent on an individual then I'm all for it, could be the difference between Mowbray buying from his b list rather than c list 

4 minutes ago, tomphil said:

I still don't get why someone would bother signing up just to post sarcastic shit when we've no senior keepers and just spent a few hundred grand on one. It's a very welcome signing but at the same time it's an absolute necessity so the situation isn't to be laughed on.

Yes wages always come into it but are obviously spread over the contract and unlikely we are paying 500k in one go. I would think it's been pretty straightforwards to absorb this kind of signing so the next one will tell us far more about the finances.

Yes but the wages of the players who departed won't just be added up and given to Mowbray so he can spend on this goalkeeper either, they would have been paid over the season.

Agree with the point you are making about people signing up just to make digs.