BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

My thoughts on Rovers transfers, for what it's worth. 

Kaminski - undeniably an upgrade on Walton, but then a corpse would likewise have that distinction. Pedegree seems solid Europa League and some decent teams in smaller leagues but there is an element of risk that this isn't English experience and the Championship is an unforgiving league. The main question is, is he better or the same as Raya? Not sure but he has the potential to be, so let's see. 

There's also something about kicking cocks. Not sure what that's about??? Wonder if TM can manage such a character although we need a bit of attitude. It's also a handy skill to have against some of our opposition. 

Williams leaving. On the face of it a huge fan of him going. He ranged from.crap to barely adequate at best, so is no big loss as long as replaced. If we get a better couple of centre backs in its an astute move, but numbers wise if he leaves we really need at least 2 in. And as the Mulgrew fiasco last year showed no matter how poor a player is somebody is better than nobody. I await with baited breath to see if we turn this plus into a negative. 

As for the rest. Defenders needed isn't rocket science as the cupboard is well and truly bare. And that's before you factor in Lenihen's injury record. I think its fair to say that objectively speaking (ie based on what we need not what we think the club will do) a few other positions need strengthening. We lost 2 strikers and two of the strikers we have look lost, so there's definitely room for another body or two up front. We probably need a wide midfielder/attacker too as even if all our strikers  were Messi-esque they can't cover 2 positions simultaneously. Hopefully Davenport pushes on and claims a spot as otherwise Travis is struggling for a midfield partner. Evans is often injured (and imo often invisible when playing too..) Johnson blows hot and cold, mainly cold, with no stamina and Downing is no longer here so it looks a bit scarce there too. 

So plenty of work to do although all other wishes for the squad have to wait until we can at least field a defence! 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Doesn't matter. He got top flight experience and Europa Experience. Which is higher level then Championship surely?

Sent form off this afternoon 

No way is the Belgian league a higher standard than the Championship.

2 minutes ago, Stuart said:

No way is the Belgian league a higher standard than the Championship.

It's not a million miles away, but Kaminski was playing for one of the only three sides of real Europa League quality in that division, so it's impossible to predict how well he will do.

Just now, JoeH said:

It's not a million miles away, but Kaminski was playing for one of the only three sides of real Europa League quality in that division, so it's impossible to predict how well he will do.

Don’t disagree.

Mowbray has signed Leutwiler and Walton and let Raya go so he could really do for this one to be a good acquisition.

Hopefully he does well. I suspect that as he is number one, our number two will be Fisher.

I’d actually be much happier if we scouted a new gk coach.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Williams and Mulgrew out, Kipre in. That would be okay. The finances add up but it won't happen.

Seems like the Swansea interest has gone as quickly as it came. Plus if Mulgrew goes it will have to be heavily subsidised. Seems that Kipre is unattainable.

11 minutes ago, JoeH said:

That last sentence is very true. We wont be dominant like Gent were. I also think the standard of the Championship is overrated due to the entertainment it often provides. The goalkeping standard is very low too.

@Amo made a fair assumption that with all of these errors, he doesnt seem to be the type of keeper who is a steady eddie which a shame as I felt that would have been perfect. That being said, you can have goalkeepers who win you games with saves and also lose you games with regular mistakes. Raya could do both. Walton could only do the latter. Lets hope that Kaminski is capable of winning us points.

5 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Nobody is paying seven figures for Del.

Give us a couple hundred grand and take his wages off us. That’s fine, if we got a million pounds for Derrick Williams I would take back everything I’ve ever said about Mowbray ?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Blue blood said:

My thoughts on Rovers transfers, for what it's worth. 

Kaminski - undeniably an upgrade on Walton, but then a corpse would likewise have that distinction. Pedegree seems solid Europa League and some decent teams in smaller leagues but there is an element of risk that this isn't English experience and the Championship is an unforgiving league. The main question is, is he better or the same as Raya? Not sure but he has the potential to be, so let's see. 

There's also something about kicking cocks. Not sure what that's about??? Wonder if TM can manage such a character although we need a bit of attitude. It's also a handy skill to have against some of our opposition. 

Williams leaving. On the face of it a huge fan of him going. He ranged from.crap to barely adequate at best, so is no big loss as long as replaced. If we get a better couple of centre backs in its an astute move, but numbers wise if he leaves we really need at least 2 in. And as the Mulgrew fiasco last year showed no matter how poor a player is somebody is better than nobody. I await with baited breath to see if we turn this plus into a negative. 

As for the rest. Defenders needed isn't rocket science as the cupboard is well and truly bare. And that's before you factor in Lenihen's injury record. I think its fair to say that objectively speaking (ie based on what we need not what we think the club will do) a few other positions need strengthening. We lost 2 strikers and two of the strikers we have look lost, so there's definitely room for another body or two up front. We probably need a wide midfielder/attacker too as even if all our strikers  were Messi-esque they can't cover 2 positions simultaneously. Hopefully Davenport pushes on and claims a spot as otherwise Travis is struggling for a midfield partner. Evans is often injured (and imo often invisible when playing too..) Johnson blows hot and cold, mainly cold, with no stamina and Downing is no longer here so it looks a bit scarce there too. 

So plenty of work to do although all other wishes for the squad have to wait until we can at least field a defence! 

If I was in charge, and on an extremely tight budget, I'd be looking at getting a quality starting LB in as a bare minimum.

I'd love a new CB and a new CM, but the black hole at LB is the cause of a lot of our defensive problems. I think you'll also find that if we improve our LB and the middle of our midfield (i.e. stop teams just walking through us), you can lower your standards at CB. At the moment our back 4 are badly exposed.

Up front I wouldn't do anything - inexperienced, maybe, but I'd throw down the gauntlet to JRC, Dolan, Chapman and Brennan and say there's a place in the starting XI and a place on the bench for two of you. Sort it out among yourselves. That allows you to rotate Dack / Armstrong / Gallagher / Brereton (and sadly Rothwell, even though I think he's a CM) in the other two positions upfront (assuming we're playing a 4-3-3).

Edited by Exiled_Rover
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Wales Online article says we want a 7-figure fee for Williams! If Swansea are signing Lowe and can no longer afford him, we need to drop that valuation pronto...

It depends who they've got lined up to replace him.

Yes, a competent manager could almost certainly find a better player on a free right now - but we've got Mowbray at the helm. Sometimes it's better the devil you know. 

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

Wales Online article says we want a 7-figure fee for Williams! If Swansea are signing Lowe and can no longer afford him, we need to drop that valuation pronto...

Sounds like they don't want him to go if there's any truth in that.

We’ve done some good deadwood clearing so far and offloading Williams for a fee would be a great bit of business. I can’t see Mulgrew giving up his hefty wage, so I think we will be lumbered with him.

We have good youth options all over the pitch, but obviously we need another first choice centre back and we are after (at least) one. I’m hoping against hope that Venky’s break the habit of their reign of terror and actually spend a bit of money on one, I don’t think we’d be in bad shape at all if we just got one really decent centre half and no other signings. If we are baulking at 1.5 mil for Kipre though it doesn’t bode well.

• Like 2