BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

Quite alarming to me that bringing in essential defenders appears to be contingent upon getting shut of one of the three experienced players we have left who can play at CB.

I sure hope Mowbray knows what he is doing here because it could easily go very badly wrong.

Also quite disturbing that having slashed almost £100,000 a week off the wage bill since July and added only the keeper who won't be on more than £10,000 at most there isnt the scope in the budget to bring in reasonable signings without further outgoings.

A quick calculation for August - if we've saved £400,000 on wages by offloading Walton, Tosin, Smallwood, Downing, Graham and Samuel then we can see where the money has appeared to get the goalkeeper.

55 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Left-back Miiko Albornoz, now a free agent after leaving Hannover 96, great crosser of the ball. I'd be all over him. Did a bit of tactical research on him.

Is this you mate??

Only joking, appreciate all the work you do getting the info on players! ?

Statto has gone from cult hero on Fantasy Football League to watching  Manchester United in the best seat at Old Trafford | Daily Mail Online

2 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Quite alarming to me that bringing in essential defenders appears to be contingent upon getting shut of one of the three experienced players we have left who can play at CB.

I sure hope Mowbray knows what he is doing here because it could easily go very badly wrong.

Also quite disturbing that having slashed almost £100,000 a week off the wage bill since July and added only the keeper who won't be on more than £10,000 at most there isnt the scope in the budget to bring in reasonable signings without further outgoings.

A quick calculation for August - if we've saved £400,000 on wages by offloading Walton, Tosin, Smallwood, Downing, Graham and Samuel then we can see where the money has appeared to get the goalkeeper.

Mowbray said a defensive signing isn't dependant on selling Williams?

Also can't see where he said we have to sell to bring others in??

Edited by islander200

2 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Mowbray said a defensive signing isn't dependant on selling Williams?

Also can't see where he said we have to sell to bring others in??

Mowbray says a lot of things that aren't true. The fact is that it seems very likely Williams will be out the door before the new signings are in. Call it coincidence if you like. To me it shows that yet more funds need to be freed up to have a chance to get others in.

Our wage bill is already a lot less than last season so the explanation seems to be either they are reducing costs or need the lump sum transfer fee to pay for someone.

As above wage savings for August alone by releasing a mass of players ought to have raised the cash needed for the keeper.

• Like 2

Just now, blue_n_white99 said:

Mowbray says a lot of things, most of which is flannel, "Defenders are coming....." my arse

That's fair enough but he said a defensive signing isn't dependant on selling Williams so don't understand JhRovers post when Mowbray didn't say we have to sell Williams to bring someone in.

His sale might mean we can afford a better target 

7 minutes ago, JHRover said:

We have lost a lot of income from covid, and foolishly haven't sold any season tickets yet. We also lost a sponsor.

Just now, bluebruce said:

We have lost a lot of income from covid, and foolishly haven't sold any season tickets yet. We also lost a sponsor.

Our choice not to sell tickets. Nobody has forced us not to. Bamber Bridge can sell them so why can't we?

The sponsor news whilst unfortunate in this climate was always a possibility with their termination clause and will have happened months ago. So a lot of time to secure something else.

Yes we have lost income. So has every other club in the world.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JHRover said:

Mowbray says a lot of things that aren't true. The fact is that it seems very likely Williams will be out the door before the new signings are in. Call it coincidence if you like. To me it shows that yet more funds need to be freed up to have a chance to get others in.

Our wage bill is already a lot less than last season so the explanation seems to be either they are reducing costs or need the lump sum transfer fee to pay for someone.

As above wage savings for August alone by releasing a mass of players ought to have raised the cash needed for the keeper.

You are entitled to your opinion but reading your posts you moan about everything the club does, you must get no enjoyment out of following Rovers these days at all?

It was obvious money was going to be tight this year, even if we disregard covid he spent 12 million on two players that have done nothing for us thus far, can see why the owners would be hesitant handing over more money but at the same time if they don't have confidence in Mowbray spending the money wisely they should sack him.

We signed a goalkeeper for cash, which you said we wouldn't, and now we have you have come out with that the players off the wage bill have paid for that signing.

Selling Williams would give us a bit more money and maybe the extra few quid which will get his preffered target over the line.He did not say in his interview that we have to sell to buy, in fact he said straight up that a defensive signing wasnt dependant on the sale of Williams.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, islander200 said:

That's fair enough but he said a defensive signing isn't dependant on selling Williams so don't understand JhRovers post when Mowbray didn't say we have to sell Williams to bring someone in.

His sale might mean we can afford a better target 

He may well be speaking the truth, but there is something not right with Williams situation at Ewood and it only seems a matter of time before he departs. Also odd is the real need for defensive reinforcements and as yet no obvious offers for targets despite costs being trimmed extensively, also with the prospect of Mulgrew and Williams soon for pastures new, JH may not be far wide of the mark.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, blue_n_white99 said:

He may well be speaking the truth, but there is something not right with Williams situation at Ewood and it only seems a matter of time before he departs. Also odd is the real need for defensive reinforcements and as yet no obvious offers for targets despite costs being trimmed extensively, also with the prospect of Mulgrew and Williams soon for pastures new, JH may not be far wide of the mark.

What doesn't feel right about Williams possibly leaving?

Last season he went to the manager and asked to be considered as a centre half? When he was fit he found himself on the bench behind a superior player in Tosin.

The manager has stated he wants to bring in new defenders.At the age he is Williams will undoubtedly want to be playing first team football.I don't think there is anything odd about a player wanting to move on in such a situation,nor do I think it odd the manager being open to selling an out of favour defender to increase his transfer budget

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, blue_n_white99 said:

We do have offers in according to the manager.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Our choice not to sell tickets. Nobody has forced us not to. Bamber Bridge can sell them so why can't we?

The sponsor news whilst unfortunate in this climate was always a possibility with their termination clause and will have happened months ago. So a lot of time to secure something else.

Yes we have lost income. So has every other club in the world.

As I said in the post, foolishly. However in real terms it means a hole in the finances. Self-inflicted, absolutely, but it's there. Can't just point at the savings and not look at the losses when comparing to last year's budget.

We are also in the third year of the cycle as we all know, which may in itself mean the budget was reduced before we started. I know you're going to say we don't have to be beholden to it, as you've said before, but we do. We can't take the risk of a 12 point deduction and clearly don't have the ingenuity/desire to work around it.

As others have said, your point that we have to sell to buy a CB isn't backed up by TM's comments. Yes those might not be true but that's the information we have to go off. His comments that it will give us more freedom for moves could apply to the lower priority target areas later in the window. Or a higher standard of CB if they come in quickly.

Doesn't matter that every club has lost money due to covid when all we are talking about is the amount of money we have available.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, islander200 said:

We do have offers in according to the manager.

Bit like the boy who cried wolf, I don't 100% believe what Mobray spouts. He's had 3 years to sort the back line and it's worse now than when he started. As an ex defender himself you would expect that he should embrace the defensive arts and have an eye for what is needed, so far he hasn't cut the mustard in this regard.

Just now, blue_n_white99 said:

Bit like the boy who cried wolf, I don't 100% believe what Mobray spouts. He's had 3 years to sort the back line and it's worse now than when he started. As an ex defender himself you would expect that he should embrace the defensive arts and have an eye for what is needed, so far he hasn't cut the mustard in this regard.

That is all fair enough but my initial post was in response to JHRover making out that Mowbray said we have to sell Williams to bring in a defender.

He didn't say that, he said a defensive signing isn't dependant on Williams going .