BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

we need two. My understanding was that it was Kipre and someone else, not someone else as a backup if Kipre didn't happen 

Ah thats different then. The other one would have likely been a backup behind Lenihan and Kipre you would have thought. 

So, we still need a first choice centre back then.

50 minutes ago, Swanson said:

I am not too disappointed if we loose out on Kipre in particular, it's more the thing that we seemed to have gone far the line with this deal. Since the market seems a bit difficult these days. also it is a promising player with a fair price tag. Shame to lose out when it seems that we are close. And it is domestic transfer, so need to worry about quarantine because of Covid-19. Buuut I guess there are other fish in the sea..

It is good we are evidently genuinely in for these kind of players so they can't be accused of the usual window dressing. These are the kind of players we need to replace the ones moving or trying to be moved out.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Finances are tight across the Championship however, and Mowbray admitted: “It’s really difficult. I’m not sure I’ve ever been anywhere where money is no object and you just go and get the best players and you have the best team in the league."

The most depressing point about this comment is that, in the Championship, successful teams don’t necessarily have the best players but the best manager.

A poor manager churns through players and makes good ones worse. At Rovers, ‘nice men’ get to have several attempts.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Stuart said:

The most depressing point about this comment is that, in the Championship, successful teams don’t necessarily have the best players but the best manager.

A poor manager churns through players and makes good ones worse. At Rovers, ‘nice men’ get to have several attempts.

The point is valid as Peter Ridsdale once said 'Show me a club's annual wage bill and I will show you their final position in the league table.'

Of course you are right that there will upset to the balance, and especially relegated teams seems to struggle to adapt event with parachute money. Bielsa proved that a world-class manager can turn dust into gold. The large turnover of managers in Championship shows that most clubs are not able to find their Bielsa.

Wage wise I think we are mid-table which is quite good, considering the large decifit the club is running each year. We are going to punch above our weight it's either by being very good at player trading like Brentford or getting a top top manager like Bielsa. 

Basically resigned to Kipre going elsewhere, if West Brom are serious then no sane minded person in his position would decline Premier league football and a higher wage.

Would be a big blow because for under a million, you arent going to get close to signing a top 6 quality Championship centre back from a club in England unless there are mitigating circumstances.

Ultimately, the only reason that Kipre could be got at for under a million

Thinking outside of that, I suppose attention soon starts to turn to whoever else we are talking to. Someone like Lindsay who has had a dismal season at Stoke and is unwanted may be financially out of our reach despite being right down the pecking order. Another name I mentioned was Tom Lockyer, available on a free, 10 caps for Wales, but hardly a brute and his record somewhat tarnished by relegation.

Another totally random name to chuck into the mix, a total guess, Jordy De Wijs may be available. I certainly am not advocating signing a player whose team nearly conceded 90 goals last season and this is not my suggestion, just a total stab in the dark at that other name, but I presume he will be available with Richie Smallwood replacing him as captain, a year on his contract, left footed, 25 years old and potentially affordable.

Fuck that - i'm blocking Nicko (after a short shrift message).

Down to the lad. he either wants to play at a slightly better wage in the Championship (and not really have to relocate) or sit on the bench (at best) on much better wages in the PL.

37 minutes ago, briansol said:

The point is valid as Peter Ridsdale once said 'Show me a club's annual wage bill and I will show you their final position in the league table.'

Of course you are right that there will upset to the balance, and especially relegated teams seems to struggle to adapt event with parachute money. Bielsa proved that a world-class manager can turn dust into gold. The large turnover of managers in Championship shows that most clubs are not able to find their Bielsa.

Wage wise I think we are mid-table which is quite good, considering the large decifit the club is running each year. We are going to punch above our weight it's either by being very good at player trading like Brentford or getting a top top manager like Bielsa. 

Williams used to say similar about us in the Prem to justify us paying big wages and he was more or less proven right. However every season in every division with possibly the exception of the top 6 Prem there is a few teams who disprove it.  It's called punching above your weight and being ambitious and that's the clutch of clubs we have to strive to be in. No point just turning out every season and just accepting where you are then using these facts as reason to justify not having a go.

Often the manager and his staff really are the difference, that's another fact.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Would be a big blow because for under a million, you arent going to get close to signing a top 6 quality Championship centre back from a club in England unless there are mitigating circumstances.

I don’t think there’s enough evidence to say he’s a Top 6 quality centre back. The data certainly doesn’t suggest it. Yet West Brom want him. So I guess it’s just a game of opinions yet again ?

I know I made the joke earlier...

But why don't we make a loan bid for Ryan Sessegnon at Spurs.

Heard the other day Celtic fancied a loan and if you were Mourinho you'd surely rather loan out to top 10* of the Championship, where he is playing and tested every week unlike the SPL cakewalk (bar 4 games a season).

8 minutes ago, islander200 said:

I notice the guy who first broke the Kipre news at the weekend on twitter is saying we will still sign him as he wants to stay in the north west 

Seems to have some good sources? He was very confindent that it was us that had made a bid before anyone else knew it.

5 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Williams used to say similar about us in the Prem to justify us paying big wages and he was more or less proven right. However every season in every division with possibly the exception of the top 6 Prem there is a few teams who disprove it.  It's called punching above your weight and being ambitious and that's the clutch of clubs we have to strive to be in. No point just turning out every season and just accepting where you are then using these facts as reason to justify not having a go.

Often the manager and his staff really are the difference, that's another fact.

I always thought it was unsustainable for us because we were also a selling club: we only partly reinvested monies from Duff, Bentley, RSC etc essentially to subsidise the ever-increasing wages of the Emertons, MGPs etc who no-one thought good enough to buy.

17 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

I know I made the joke earlier...

But why don't we make a loan bid for Ryan Sessegnon at Spurs.

Heard the other day Celtic fancied a loan and if you were Mourinho you'd surely rather loan out to top 10* of the Championship, where he is playing and tested every week unlike the SPL cakewalk (bar 4 games a season).

He has already shown what he can do in the championship.

If he does go out on loan it will be to a club in Europe or Premier league.Wouldnt be suprised if he goes on a season loan  to a club in  Germany or France 

• Like 1