BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

29 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Taking my allegiances to Rovers out of the equation, if West Brom do put in a bid in for him then for Premier League football and a bigger wage, its a no brainer.

There is no reason that he cant nail down a place at West Brom either. I am not convinced that any of Bartley, Ajayi and Hegazi are better than him necessarily

The game now is getting the balance right between holding in, because Kipre would be a very good signing for the fee we would be paying, and I dont think we could find anyone else as good, but not waiting too long so that alternatives become unobtainable too.

If we were a well run club, our offer to Kipre would be guaranteed first team football in the North West (which he appears to enjoy) on more money than he's currently getting paid (although he might currently being paid £0). 

We wouldn't sit on the offer though - we don't have the luxury. Make the offer, let him know that he's our #1 target, but only until Friday. After that, the deal may still be on the table, but we're also looking elsewhere. We're desperate for a CB. 

It's then his decision to hurry Leeds / WBA along if he's desperate for a move to the Prem, or accept our offer. Although I'm sure he's not short of suitors. 

14 minutes ago, Traviscon said:

There's (rightly) a lot of stick towards the senior leadership as to our usual speed in the transfer market. 

I'm actually rather impressed at how we've moved very swiftly onto the next target, once we got an experienced keeper through the door. 

Long may this trend continue. 

We have bid on at least 3 players in the last week. We know who 2 are. I don't know the 3rd. We are acting on our targets.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, RovingRover said:

We have bid on at least 3 players in the last week. We know who 2 are. I don't know the 3rd. We are acting on our targets.

Are we bidding high enough though? We have recent history of making offers that fall short and then saying 'We tried'

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, BRFC4EVA said:

Yes that was my thought too. From a wba point of view seems a strange signing. You've £100m in the bank from getting promoted and you just limped over the line with one one of the lowest auto promoted points tally in the last 30 years, one would think you'd need to strengthen significantly. And then turn around and buy a mid table champ centre back for £800k or whatever the 6 figure is.

You need at least 4 centre backs who can play at a good level, maybe even 5. If you can get a good bench warmer for peanuts what's not to like from West Brom or Leeds point of view.  I hope we get the lad, I've only seen him play once but of that one viewing he looked to be a proper defender.

58 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Taking my allegiances to Rovers out of the equation, if West Brom do put in a bid in for him then for Premier League football and a bigger wage, its a no brainer.

There is no reason that he cant nail down a place at West Brom either. I am not convinced that any of Bartley, Ajayi and Hegazi are better than him necessarily

The game now is getting the balance right between holding in, because Kipre would be a very good signing for the fee we would be paying, and I dont think we could find anyone else as good, but not waiting too long so that alternatives become unobtainable too.

Depends on his own situation which none of us know

You were the one who claimed him to be top 6 team defender than back track didn't you, so which is it since you know so much of the player? 

Its seems WBA wanted other centre defenders after being to 2 today so its seems that Kipre isn't first choice. 

9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Depends on his own situation which none of us know

You were the one who claimed him to be top 6 team defender than back track didn't you, so which is it since you know so much of the player? 

Its seems WBA wanted other centre defenders after being to 2 today so its seems that Kipre isn't first choice. 

I dont think that he is a top 6 centre back but I think that working with less than a million in the domestic, he would be far better than anyone else I think we could get due to mitigating circumstances. 

It would make sense for him to join a Premier League club, even before you consider the financial benefit. He also would have a good go at getting regular game time amidst a Championship standard set of central defenders.

Lets hope that West Brom get Duffy and we can have Kipre.

Edited by roversfan99

3 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Not saying it's impossible but I can't think of a championship player ever turning down a premier club. Can anyone think of someone?

Matt Jansen to Palace instead of United? I think Palace were in the championship but not sure.

There’s a bit to go on the Kipre deal I’d say but it sounds like we’re in the driving seat in terms of having had a bid accepted. I may be wrong but I can’t see either West Ham OR West Brom having him at the top of their list. Maybe a back up and registered an interest but it seems odd that they wouldn’t have any better options than him with their finances.

Weirdly, I feel quite confident that they will get this one over the line. The comments from Mowbray seem almost bullish. Like they’re confident on Kipre and the other (I reckon Lindsay on loan to perm).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

I always thought it was unsustainable for us because we were also a selling club: we only partly reinvested monies from Duff, Bentley, RSC etc essentially to subsidise the ever-increasing wages of the Emertons, MGPs etc who no-one thought good enough to buy.

That's partly why it probably ended up for sale as it was sustainable whilst run correctly and having a player to sell every 3 years. It was getting to the point though it needed some proper reinvestment and Williams and co were at fault themselves not buying in a few decent young ones with potential now and again.

I think he became a bit complacent with wagers although the likes of Emerton & MGP were usually good value for them. However giving Keef Andrews a deal that ended with him on parity of 33k pwk was ridiculous. 

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I dont think that he is a top 6 centre back but I think that working with less than a million in the domestic, he would be far better than anyone else I think we could get due to mitigating circumstances. 

It would make sense for him to join a Premier League club, even before you consider the financial benefit. He also would have a good go at getting regular game time amidst a Championship standard set of central defenders.

Lets hope that West Brom get Duffy and we can have Kipre.

Stop going on mitigating circumstances as most championship clubs are facing similar situations. Rovers are spending money even its not millions after millions. But there is players out there who will improve our squad. 

I can't see him being 1st choice at West Brom. Ajayi and Bartley will start the season. Does he want to be on the bench at his age or playing proper game time. 

Egan and O'Connell both drop down to league 1 level to playing regular 1st football instead of not. Now both PL players

Edited by chaddyrovers

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

I can't see him being 1st choice at West Brom. Ajayi and Bartley will start the season. Does he want to be on the bench at his age or playing proper game time. 

Thats you though.

If i were him and there was only them two as my opposition to being a premier league starter, I'd be there in a shot. Bartley isnt the best and Ajayi is inexperienced 

2 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Not saying it's impossible but I can't think of a championship player ever turning down a premier club. Can anyone think of someone?

Not relevant to our situation, but Paul Merson went to the Championship when he was offered a new contract at Arsenal. Admittedly, that was because Boro were paying him more than Dennis Bergkamp was getting at Highbury, which I don't think is the case with us and Kipre! 

On Kipre, if his fee is 900k, then surely any prem club that wants him just goes ahead and gets him. I think one way or another, he'll be holding up a Rovers shirt or a WBA shirt by Saturday evening, all depending on whether they actually fancy him or not.

6 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

That’s it though. If WBA’s primary cb partnership is Ajayi and Bartley then surely they’re going after some Premier League experience? Is Kipre going to be better than Ajayi? I doubt it at this moment....

As I said, I may be wrong but the West Brom and West Ham links seem odd.

• Like 4