BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

1 minute ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

If you could quote where I've said that it would be terrific. Anyway, have a look at the finance table just posted. Then ignore it again, put your fingers in your ears and go la la la.

It's about your level. 

You keep saying that we cannot compete in the Championship. So I assumed you thought we would be be able to compete better in League 1. Please tell me as you don't think we can compete in the Championship, which division could we compete in?

I've looked at the table and all I can say is that it is a good job that Sheffield United (with a lower average wage than us) and Brentford (with a smaller revenue that us) don't take your negative attitude about being unable to compete.

1 minute ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Then ignore it again, put your fingers in your ears and go la la la.

It's about your level. 

Being rude and infantile.

It's about your level.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

So please answer my question. Given you don't think we can compete in the Championship, which division could we compete in? You say I was wrong to assume League 1, So League 2 perhaps? National League?

Infantile. 

We have the one of the lowest incomes. Your friend JH Rover said we could compete with anyone in the division. We can't. The end. 

25 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Interesting interpretation of what I've been saying.

Still, I'd rather have high expectations and views on my club than convince myself that we can't even compete in the 2nd division.

We have been trying to compete tho.

The manager bought badly but has certainly been backed, Brereton and Gallagher two expensive signings, Holtby, Johnson,and Downing would be on very good money and certainly in the case of Holtby would have took a nice signing on fee to get him here.

The manager has been backed,we have tried to compete in terms of spending.

Bauer didn't come here not because of money but he would not have been first choice.Mowbray said many times last year he was looking for a particular type of player to play alongside Lenihen and found that in Tosin a totally different type of player and who according to numerous reports didn't come cheap either.

I'm not saying I agree with that but I'm not the manager and since he has walked through the door he has been backed.

I agree with some of the things you say about the state the club finds itself in and the disregard shown by the owners but they are putting cash in,well have been since Mowbray came to the club.

And imo you take it to another level with some of your criticism, like going on about the fact we didn't go on a pre season getaway and piss up, and how you seem to think we should be like Chelsea and Man city with 3 or 4 players of similar ability for each position, suggesting Smallwood ,Mulgrew and Samuel are losses to the squad and we should replace them with cash signings instead of looking to our youth .

Money is obviously tight, most of our funds should be used on our first eleven

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

We have the one of the lowest incomes. Your friend JH Rover said we could compete with anyone in the division. We can't. The end. 

On the chart that you were so keen to point out to me, Brentford had a lower income than us but they seemed to compete pretty well this year. 

I'll try one more time as you might have had your fingers in your ears going la la la. Which division do you think we could compete in?

Edited by Ewood Ace

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

On the chart that you were so keen to point out to me, Brentford had a lower income than us but they seemed to compete pretty well this year. 

I'll try one more time as you might have had your fingers in your ears going la la la. Which division do you think we could compete in?

Infantile. 

See my previous answer. If you don't understand it get someone to explain it to you. 

Edited by Hoochie Bloochie Mama

Just now, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Infantile

You can't answer can you because you have dug yourself a hole by saying we can't compete in the Championship. But you know very well that we can which is why you are ducking the question of, if not the Championship then which League could we compete in? ?

We get transfer pots of 7 then 5 million, we've been paying million pound loan fees. Signing short term older players on 20k pwk and have about a dozen on 10 to 15k pwk which is on or above the average champ wage if that graph is to be believed.

Please don't tell me we can't compete with 2 thirds of this league on the park at least.  We bloody well should be able to this seems to be replacing FFP as the go to excuse now.

Yes we aren't going to outpay a Prem sde but not many are. Plenty other good players in the world.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, tomphil said:

We get transfer pots of 7 then 5 million, we've been paying million pound loan fees. Signing short term older players on 20k pwk and have about a dozen on 10 to 15k pwk which is on or above the average champ wage if that graph is to be believed.

Please don't tell me we can't compete with 2 thirds of this league on the park at least.  We bloody well should be able to this seems to be replacing FFP as the go to excuse now.

Yes we aren't going to outpay a Prem sde but not many are. Plenty other good players in the world.

We pay £6k below the av Champ wage. Only average £10k a week. 

But of course we can compete ON the pitch. That's a different argument though and comes down mainly to the quality of the manager. Sheff Utd paid less wages than us when they went up but had a far better manager. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

But of course we can compete ON the pitch. That's a different argument though 

It's not really different though is it because being able to compete on the pitch is at the end of the day the only thing that matters.

Edited by Ewood Ace

2 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

But of course we can compete ON the pitch. That's a different argument though and comes down mainly to the quality of the manager. Sheff Utd paid less wages than us when they went up but had a far better manager. 

But we don't pay everyone 10 grand per week do we that's the point. Maybe there's been a strict change in policy now but we've been paying decent players way above that it only averages out at that because we now have a lot of youngsters on way less. Plus some plodders of course and it isn't a massive squad.

So just going off these averages doesn't really tell the whole story some still feel we haven''t made the best use of the resources we have. Rather than looking at the overal averages we should perhaps look a bit closer at the better paid players and what we've been getting out of them.

I'd say we've been a very competitive club wages wise for our size of course and outside of the huge crowd clubs.

• Like 1

Bell isn't great by all means, but we have gone on good runs with him in the team. For me priority has to be CB. Wharton and Carter have about 4 Championship starts between them. Carter didn't look ready and wasn't Wharton at fault for Blackpool's goal? Not saying that should be used to determine he isn't ready but personally I'd feel far more comfortable with someone next to Lenihan with similar experience.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

To be quite honest, the LB position worries me more, because it feels as though Mowbray wants to play Bell there as first choice. That frightens me far more than having to play Wharton/Carter in the middle. Personally, I'd be playing JRC in place of Bell - at least for the time being. JRC is superb at venturing forward and causing problems for the opposition. Bell is supposedly good at that, I hear, but I haven't seen much of it in the 2.5 seasons he's been here. As for his defending, JRC is not great, but Bell is far worse by my reckoning. He's lethargic, doesn't close down crosses, never seems urgent enough in getting back if he's caught at the other end of the pitch... I'd go as far as saying that Bell is the worst left-back that I've seen playing for us. Vratislav Gresko could teach him a lesson or two.

IIRC Gresko was pretty good when on loan, but not as good once signed, but might have been him feeling his knee that pretty much finished him.  Bell just seems like he cant be arsed getting back when we loose possesion even when he looses it!

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18684570.agent-suggests-rovers-bid-slovenian-international/

Looks like the agent trying to drive interest. Sharpe saying no bid lodged for midfielder.

Also:-

While Rovers have funds to spend this season, the Lancashire Telegraph understands that won’t see them spend a seven-figure fee on any player this summer, as EFL clubs continue to battle with the financial climate created by the coronavirus pandemic.

It's worrying we have so many gaps to fill.

As a minimum, another goalie, two centre backs, a left back, a midfielder and a striker.

Let's be honest, two of Mowbray's mainstays (Lenihan and Evans) are likely to be missing through injury for at least 25 games per season (between them) if history is anything to go by. I'd be surprised if the stats over recent seasons don't show Evans missing one in two on average and Lenihan one in three or four on average.

In midfield, Johnson, IMO, is clearly not the answer, Davenport isn't, IMO, up to it and it therefore leaves Travis terribly exposed.

As for strikers, does anyone really think Brereton and Gallagher are going to become prolific overnight.  Armstrong can't do it all by himself and, IMO, Butterworth wont cut it whilst I think Vale is our best hope.

So much for Mowbray's evolution and solid slow build.  Sadly, IMO, he hasn't even got the foundations in place.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Theaxe15 said:

Bell isn't great by all means, but we have gone on good runs with him in the team. For me priority has to be CB. Wharton and Carter have about 4 Championship starts between them. Carter didn't look ready and wasn't Wharton at fault for Blackpool's goal? Not saying that should be used to determine he isn't ready but personally I'd feel far more comfortable with someone next to Lenihan with similar experience.

From what I have seen, we have gone on good runs despite Bell being in the team rather than because he was in the team!

Edited by rigger
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mercer said:

It's worrying we have so many gaps to fill.

As a minimum, another goalie, two centre backs, a left back, a midfielder and a striker.

Let's be honest, two of Mowbray's mainstays (Lenihan and Evans) are likely to be missing through injury for at least 25 games per season (between them) if history is anything to go by. I'd be surprised if the stats over recent seasons don't show Evans missing one in two on average and Lenihan one in three or four on average.

In midfield, Johnson, IMO, is clearly not the answer, Davenport isn't, IMO, up to it and it therefore leaves Travis terribly exposed.

As for strikers, does anyone really think Brereton and Gallagher are going to become prolific overnight.  Armstrong can't do it all by himself and, IMO, Butterworth wont cut it whilst I think Vale is our best hope.

So much for Mowbray's evolution and solid slow build.  Sadly, IMO, he hasn't even got the foundations in place.

As a minimum, I would say a left back is needed. I would like to strengthen other areas, but I would class them more as would be nice rather than a minimum.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mercer said:

We need another 4 players. Back up keeper, 2 centre back and left back. 

Dont need a striker or midfielder IMO at this time. Give the youngsters the game time players. Why not give Rankin Costello, Buckley, Vale, Chapman their chance

Plenty of clubs still have a lot of transfer business. Like Sheffield Wednesday need Strikers, QPR need attacking players, Bournemouth will lose Wilson, Brooks, King. Watford will lose their best players. Brentford could lose all 3 of their best attacking players this summer. 

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Like 1