BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

• Moderation Lead
19 minutes ago, matt83 said:

Lucky you! We struggled like buggery to have a sup last night. Been out fair few times since the lockdown ended but never encountered anything as difficult as last night. Suppose with it being the last bank holiday Sunday should have booked tables but live and learn.

Bowland effectively turfed everyone about 8:30. Castle/station/emporium shut at 9. So bar, Rose and crown, swan, white lion, dog, key street either fully booked or massive queues. Brown cow/new inn/buck/social not open. At one point seemed 100s of folk wandering the streets trying to get in anywhere. 

After some serious convincing eventually let us have a few inside piccalinos.

We’d booked tables at Bowland and Esc CC, so we were good tbh! Though as you say, it was heaving everywhere! I think a lot cleared off elsewhere in taxis by the looks of things. 
Managed to squeeze into The White Lion (wish I hadn’t) and then got into The Parlour too! 

We potentially (but now seemingly wont) would have spent less than a million on a very competent, domestic centre back. Plus less than half a million on a goalkeeper who granted is from Europe but whom we havent seen play, and surely only if he is a success and followed by further successes is this vaunted European scouting network considered a success?! And 1.4m would have been sensible and measured spending in the circumstances but hardly throwing the money around.

Antagonistic posts aside. I did fear somewhat when I saw the side we put out for the first competitive game of the season on Saturday, you would not have wanted to take that squad down to a League game. Obviously, we can deduct Fisher (who couldnt look any further away) and throw in Kaminski, and also Nyambe has to be a shoe in at right back, as Rankin Costello is not a full back. Even then, we look so threadbare at the moment.

First things first, if Bell never plays again, it'll be too soon. Why he was given a new deal, I have no idea, even as back up he isnt up to it, and I am amazed that many seem to think that he improved last year. He had that one decent game amidst a good (much changed) team performance at Bristol City, but otherwise, it is the same old things, he cannot defend one on one, he is technically lacking hence clearances as we saw on Saturday, and he may be fast but it is totally worthless, he usually dithers rather than running forward and even on the rare occasions that he does run forward, you tend to get crosses as per the one that ended high in the Blackburn end. We have to sign a competent left back. I would be happy to let Williams go, but if he doesnt, he should be back up over Bell.

Then obviously at centre back, we badly and obviously need to sort that with a couple of new faces. Wharton was actually better than Lenihan on Saturday but we know that the latter is usually the best we have. Wharton might be ok as 4th choice but whilst he looks decent on the ball, we need someone a bit stronger.

The bench really was indicative of how weak we are in attacking areas. Also factor in that Chapman, a player even in League 1 and prior to his injuries that Mowbray didnt trust, has suddenly gone from 'cant get a start in dead rubbers' to starting the first competitive game of the season and you really start to ask questions. Gallagher will be back fit but we know how he is out wide. The only attacking player on the bench was Dolan but the fact that a player with no senior League experience may be top of the pile in terms of taking that third attacking spot shows how we need more quality and options. And the fact that we are now so dependant on Brereton, now that is a worry. I would personally probably go for a front 3 of Rankin Costello, Armstrong and Brereton at the moment but that is not really going to inflict too much fear. 

We really need a centre back, a left back and a player across that front 3 in as soon as possible, this week really, because at the moment we would struggle to have any chance down at Bournemouth. I am unsure whether playing them early is a blessing or a curse, there is a good chance that they may have key players that they will eventually sell.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

Just a word of warning lads, promise I’m not just being easily annoyed as I had far too many to drink in the various bars of Clitheroe last night....

But- we aren’t having posts suggesting people on here hate the club, are club plants or generally winding each other up with some really pathetic point scoring. It stops now and if it doesn’t, you can expect to enjoy some time away from the forum. 
We all support Rovers and care about the club deeply, hence why we visit this site so much. If you’re triggered by this post, then you might want to check yourself.

Simple as that really. Happy Monday.

Normally I wouldn't rise to the ridiculous 'hate' comment but I think I know who some are that he has fired his comment at and he couldn't be further from the truth. I know roughly what they spend on Rovers each season, the time they spend on Rovers and the extremes of emotions they go through. Criticism doesn't equal hate, it sometimes shows the opposite by wanting better for our club.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Mercer said:

Are you Mowbray's PR man?

“don’t have a pot to piss in” - let's see if any of our 'big players' have left when the window closes or what our net trading spend is!.

"European network" - I think it's fair to to say Genk wanted rid and more than likely, the lad's agent has done his job in sounding out clubs known to be looking for a goalie or two!  You would question the remit of our "European network" if they are actively scouting first team players in the better leagues who are playing European club football - rather like me telling the missus to 'scout' the local Porsche dealer for her next car (nice to have but out of our reach and therefore wasting her time!).

Suggest you wait for the fat lady to sing before you extol your perceived virtues of club and manager.

She’s warming up cocker!!! ?

49 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Normally I wouldn't rise to the ridiculous 'hate' comment but I think I know who some are that he has fired his comment at and he couldn't be further from the truth. I know roughly what they spend on Rovers each season, the time they spend on Rovers and the extremes of emotions they go through. Criticism doesn't equal hate, it sometimes shows the opposite by wanting better for our club.

It’s the blind positivity I find more damaging from some ... but then it’s made even worse when it becomes clear they are only interested in themselves and the money in the pocket 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Inglorious basturk said:

It’s the blind positivity I find more damaging from some ... but then it’s made even worse when it becomes clear they are only interested in themselves and the money in the pocket 

Of course,  I wasn’t the person who mentioned “hate” that’s too strong a word for me but how can ‘blind optimism’ from a supporter EVER be damaging? Optimism and positivity can never be damaging so long as you are not in charge and even if you are, the very best leaders are more often than not more ‘blindly optimistic’ than anyone else! 

It’s negativity and pessimism which has the potential to damage anything. Regardless of context.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Of course,  I wasn’t the person who mentioned “hate” that’s too strong a word for me but how can ‘blind optimism’ from a supporter EVER be damaging? Optimism and positivity can never be damaging so long as you are not in charge and even if you are, the very best leaders are more often than not more ‘blindly optimistic’ than anyone else! 

It’s negativity and pessimism which has the potential to damage anything. Regardless of context.

Yeah I can't understand how people are being slated for showing positivity. Imagine if everyone was as negative as some are on here, would be an even more depressing place than it often is.

I don't class myself as being overly optimistic or positive, more realistic, but to see people slating and trying to make others less positive makes pretty grim reading. Misery loves company I suppose. Go out and enjoy the sun instead

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

You say negativity and pessimism.

Maybe it's just 'realism'?‍♂️ 

Glass half full/empty. 

Such is life.

Edited by Wing Wizard Windy Miller

Just now, Theaxe15 said:

Yeah I can't understand how people are being slated for showing positivity. Imagine if everyone was as negative as some are on here, would be an even more depressing place than it often is.

I don't class myself as being overly optimistic or positive, more realistic, but to see people slating and trying to make others less positive makes pretty grim reading. Misery loves company I suppose. Go out and enjoy the sun instead

Why on earth do you come on then?

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Theaxe15 said:

To see if there's any news... The thread is called "Summer Transfer Window" after all.

Ah so you are prepared to visit a depressing message board for transfer news that you could get from other social media that might not be as depressing for you.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Lucimo said:

Think people need to give up hoping on Kipre. That ain't happening. So much for this signing that was close 2 days ago. We really need defenders in for the final preseason game. 

It was the same last summer ,Tosin turned up near the end and didn't play for a month ...

I have very little faith in Mowbray and I am not even  sure , he thinks there is a problem in defence ....

2 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Ah so you are prepared to visit a depressing message board for transfer news that you could get from other social media that might not be as depressing for you.

Just another source ain't it. Never know what pops up here that isn't elsewhere. I'm not a big delver so pretty easy to find info on here. 

The news can be a depressing outlet but I still watch it as it is good to keep up on current events.

I didn't imply that I was depressed reading this, I tend to skip past most of the bickering in all honesty, but you inferred that I'm depressed by it and now you're trying to flog it half to death. Trying to cause more arguments no doubt. Just chill out a bit, have a beer.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, geedog13 said:

He was staying in Hanley house at the time and I did some work there, told me himself his lady was fed up wanted to be back down south next to her family so was going to stay at clubs down there FACT nothing to do with TM 

I am sure the FACT that Mowbray played him wide right and played Smallwood in his preferred central position , had nothing to do with it all ...

1 minute ago, yellowsubmarine said:

If we can't get any permanent defenders, by the time we start the league, we might as well try to get Tosin back on loan. At least, he doesnt need time to settle down.

Would be nice if only City would allow it. 

1 minute ago, Theaxe15 said:

Just another source ain't it. Never know what pops up here that isn't elsewhere. I'm not a big delver so pretty easy to find info on here. 

The news can be a depressing outlet but I still watch it as it is good to keep up on current events.

I didn't imply that I was depressed reading this, I tend to skip past most of the bickering in all honesty, but you inferred that I'm depressed by it and now you're trying to flog it half to death. Trying to cause more arguments no doubt. Just chill out a bit, have a beer.

I do don't need to chill out but thanks anyway. If you find something depressing then it's fair to say it depresses you. You used the word depressing which I found odd when it's used in the context of a message board and people's opinions.

Not trying to cause arguments but stating what you said.

If only we'd signed Bauer when we should've done !

Some kids prefer other clubs show pony's costing a fortune for a season though i suppose. All for a midtable meander, still whatever floats your boat.

To compensate it would be very nice to have Tosin back now but that ship has sailed i suspect along with the alleged million pound loan package.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 3