BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

1 minute ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

Don’t think money is the biggest factor. It’s a prem club. Simple.

No player would turn down the opportunity of playing in the PL to play in the championship. He’d get a decent shot at regular game time as well. It’s not like he’s signing up to be a 3rd choice keeper.

With the prem comes money though.

I bet they would. I don't know whether Kipre has been offered regular first team football, but the rumour mill would have us believe Baggies have him on the hook and are waiting for alternatives. That would make you think they believe there's better out there, and if he does sign it is simply a case of them not finding anyone else. It all screams of being unwanted.

I can only speak from what little we hear on the outside though

• Like 1

I am 100% in the boat of ‘we need to move on to other targets’ however I can’t help but think we won’t get better than Kipre in the market we are currently looking at.

Having seen him play on a number of occasions, he is a high quality championship centre back who is strong in the air, quick and importantly for us, good on the ball. I actually rate him higher than Lenihan. His age is also a massive plus, in a year or two he could easily be worth between 5-10 million. For me, at 900k he is an absolute bargain and would be a huge coup. For me that is the frustration, especially as it seems it’s a deal we have come close to (and might still do), but has just seemed to get away from us. 

I think all of us can understand why he may of have had his head turned by prem interest/wages so I don’t hold anything against him in that regard. It does feel like we still have a chance, even more so now that the West Brom deal has stalled. But as I’ve said, we shouldn’t wait on him, especially as the season fast approaches. Think it would actually be easier for the club if he just signed for them as then we would be in a position where we actually know where we stand. If he does end up joining I’ll genuinely be over the moon because it would be a great deal for the club, but think it’s time to move on. Interested to see what our alternatives are.

• Like 3

Just now, OnePhilT said:

I wouldn't. I think he'd be a very good signing for us, if we could get him. Would it be the first central defender we've signed permanently under Mowbray with a view to him being a first-team regular?

If he was talking about Connor McBride, however, then that would be disappointing. Hopefully things will unfold this week. It'd be nice to get a couple through the door this week so that they can at least have a week of training with the rest of the first-team squad before our trip to Bournemouth.

There is also the issue about the price. Stoke paid over 2m only a year ago so I doubt theyd accept a 6 figure fee so presumably it would be a loan.

Kipre had a really impressive season at Wigan and would come highly recommended. I remember last year when we were linked, the common consensus from the Barnsley fans was that it was Pinnock that would go on and excel in the Championship out of the 2 and so it has proven. Lindsay made quite a few errors and slipped down to 5th or 6th in the pecking order at Stoke and is slow so that may hinder any prospect of us pressing high in the same way that Mulgrew did. I cant say that I have seen enough of him to write him off and for under a million in England we are going to struggle to get someone of real quality so maybe Lindsay in a new environment at a more settled club would flourish.

If we had a deal lined up for Kipre and now he has gone elsewhere or is going elsewhere, of course thats a blow. But we shouldnt just be working on that deal. We supposedly want 2 CBs and a left back, yet there is no sign that we are actively working on other deals unless the club has been pulling a blinder in terms of hiding it from the press!

Its typical though. We signed Cunningham on the last day of the transfer window and of course the Adarabioyo deal took ages to conclude last season. We started the season with Mulgrew, Bell and Bennett in defence and already its about playing catch up. 

21 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Where is this from?

Not to become a target for abuse, but I was told by someone who I trust quite well that Lindsay is the second option, that Mowbray is upset with Kipre (Kipre's Agent anyway) over stalling and there's a high chance he moves onto his second best option soon.

8 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

Think we might have crossed wires here, as I'm not sure who you're referring to at Stoke... Lindsay? You were talking about being disappointed if it was only Kipre that we signed based on Mowbray's post-match comments on Saturday.

I was unsure which of the 2 you meant but my point was just in general about Lindsay to be fair. Would be very much inferior to Kipre but that always would have been an excellent bit of business at the price quoted.

If I were Kipre I wouldn't be wanting to join West Brom. Sure the money will be much better and that is a factor, but the fact they haven't snapped him up, even as a squad player speaks volumes. It should tell him that he really isn't that wanted there and even if they don't get other targets then the lack of enthusiasm indicates they probably want someone else and will keep looking so his playing chances at West Brom don't look good at all. 

Of course modern players take the wages then get loaned out when they can't get games so it probably won't worry him too much. But this way round does stunt your career and have periods of inactivity and a lot less stability. It would be much better for his career to have a solid year or two with Rovers and then move on to bigger things. 

• Like 1

I know they don't grow on trees but didn't Mowbray want a ball-playing centre half to complement Lenihan?

From the sounds of it, Lindsay is more of a blood-and-thunder type like Lenihan. Not afraid to get stuck in but prone to lapses in concentration. 

6 minutes ago, Amo said:

I know they don't grow on trees but didn't Mowbray want a ball-playing centre half to complement Lenihan?

From the sounds of it, Lindsay is more of a blood-and-thunder type like Lenihan. Not afraid to get stuck in but prone to lapses in concentration. 

Sarr would make sense with this in mind. From the Charlton manager a couple of weeks ago:

“I’m sad to see Naby go,” said Bowyer. “He is a lovely fella and very good in possession – he got us playing.”

“I’d have liked to have kept him but under this embargo we’ve go no chance. He’s had to move on.”

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Cedric Kipre is obviously after the move to a Prem club. Why he is letting them mess him about like that is beyond me. Money talks I guess. I'm going to bet that Baggies have doubled the wages he'd be on here.

It is a shame because he'd be a guaranteed starter here, probably the main man in defence, and the move to a Prem club would probably happen if he continued the form he shown at Wigan.

This is modern football though, and he is prepared to be messed about whilst they look for a 'better' alternative on the chance he can double his wage and if he has to sit on the bench to do that then fine.

I don't really think this is "modern football" - its perfectly reasonable and logical that he would want to play at the highest level possible. If you were in his shoes (putting loyalty to Rovers to one side) I am sure you would feel the same way.

• Like 2

The thing is, unless we sign a Kipre, an Ayala or a Van Der Hoorn, all of which seem unlikely, I fear that we are very unlikely to get someone as good as Adarabioyo, who himself was part of a defence that conceded 63 goals. So I think it will take far more than a centre back replacement to fix our defensive problems.

We need 2 centre backs really, at least one of whom has to be dominant in the air. I know Mowbray wants players who can play it out from back but that may be a luxury we cannot afford. When Lenihan misses games, we lose games because none of our other centre backs could head and lead, so we need to avoid that being a risk, especially considering Lenihans injury record. Naby Sarr seems to have been mentioned but he seems to be one who brings the ball out but often has concentration problems, if we signed him in addition to another more conservative defender, then that could be better. 

We need Kaminski to be a success, he cant afford to make loads of mistakes like Walton. We could do with an experienced number 2 who can step in should Kaminski be struggling, which will be difficult to find.

We need to prioritise signing a left back, Bell has shown time and time again that he is miles away from the standard we need and any improvement is a myth. We need to sign a left back of quality ASAP. The importance of competent full backs shouldnt be underestimated, our points per game with and without Nyambe and with and without Cunningham last season shows that. Downing also had a decent spell at LB too. Bennett and Bell at full back will lead to us conceding goals and losing games and Rankin Costello is not a full back either. The important thing is full backs that are good defensively, again, ones flying forward setting up goals too are a bonus.

As an aside, Naby Sarr seems to have progressed at Charlton but even at the end Bowyer seemed to trust an ageing journeyman in Jason Pearce more to start games. 

Edited by roversfan99
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

With the prem comes money though.

I bet they would. I don't know whether Kipre has been offered regular first team football, but the rumour mill would have us believe Baggies have him on the hook and are waiting for alternatives. That would make you think they believe there's better out there, and if he does sign it is simply a case of them not finding anyone else. It all screams of being unwanted.

I can only speak from what little we hear on the outside though

I’ve no doubt that he’ll be offered more money but I’m confident that’s secondary to the opportunity to play in the PL. Would you choose regular game time in a mid table Champ team or the opportunity at playing in the PL? It’s hardly a guarantee that he’ll be offered the chance to play at that the highest level again. Can’t blame him for holding out and I really don’t think money is the issue.

He might just have said i want a chance at a Prem club and that's WBA but if not and no other big club jumps in Blackburn Rovers is my first choice.  Or at least that's what his agent will be telling everyone and the player himself probably.

So other than sit tight and hope it comes off there's not a lot else they can do apart from drop it altogether and run the risk of missing it if your scenario does eventually play out.

Plan B is almost certainly a loan punt on another young PL center half they probably have a list and will just grab whoever they can at the death if it comes to that.

Like the keeper thing we shouldn't really be in this situation in the first place there's been plenty time and good players knocking around for it to be addressed. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I don't really think this is "modern football" - its perfectly reasonable and logical that he would want to play at the highest level possible. If you were in his shoes (putting loyalty to Rovers to one side) I am sure you would feel the same way.

8 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

I’ve no doubt that he’ll be offered more money but I’m confident that’s secondary to the opportunity to play in the PL. Would you choose regular game time in a mid table Champ team or the opportunity at playing in the PL? It’s hardly a guarantee that he’ll be offered the chance to play at that the highest level again. Can’t blame him for holding out and I really don’t think money is the issue.

I will always say that I'll never criticise a player for wanting to play at a higher level. I'm only making the point that, going by reports, Kipre isn't really wanted there and is a second resort. As a player I wouldn't want that, unless of course there's another benefit to it. Which there is - money.

I'm not painting him out to be a bad guy but the fact remains that Baggies beat us at both situations - they can offer more money, and they can offer a higher division. With all that in mind it's no doubt he's going to them, although I would argue that he'd play more football here and likely get a move up as a regular starter, to a team that wants him, rather than playing second fiddle and a second option like currently.

• Like 2

With a loan, I think it would only even potentially be acceptable if it was with a permanent signing aswell, and also if it was a player at a bigger side who ultimately would be better than what else we could afford.

For example, Lindsay is 5th or 6th choice at Stoke, we dont want to be loaning players like that. Conversely, if Adarabioyo became available, or someone similar, then as 1 of 2, sure.

4 hours ago, Tugayisgod said:

Seems pretty obvious West Brom are stringing Kipre along. If I was him I'd tell them to do one.

Really, TiG? Don't you really mean, "As a Rovers' fan, I really hope he'll tell West Brom to do one."??

Put yourself in his boots and you're a young-ish footballer, currently on the books of a League One club which is in administration, and a  Premier League club and one from the Championship are competing for you to join one or other of them. And, as far as we know, each is promising more money than your present club is likely to be able to pay you.

Surely in those circumstances as that young footballer, you'd sit back and let your agent negotiate the best financial package for you, even if it meant being a squad member at the Premier League club. I'm fairly sure I would, if I were his age.

• Like 2