BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

1 minute ago, OnePhilT said:

@jim mk2 I certainly do not have extensive knowledge at all! You're getting a little silly/defensive... All I have done is a little memory and fact-checking. 3 of those 7 that you listed had nothing to do with being signed by Mowbray, and your argument that he's just building up an old Middlesbrough team seems a bit weak, particularly when literally none of those are currently an important part of our side (in a couple of cases, signed only as backup or as a potential).

To be honest, I don't care where they come from. If Ayala is the next thing you are going to look upon with cynicism, then I'm all for it, because he would be well-received by most!

I never said "he's just building up an old Middlesbrough team" (your twist)... only that (to repeat) he seems to have a limited contacts book because he seems to back to his favourite club alot to sign players. It was an observation more than anything and he's probably not unusual in doing so, but there you go. If It sounded cynical then it probably is, because his management is taking the club nowhere at the moment. 

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

Downing wasn’t good enough and hardly played?

He was our fourth most played player. He played 3,401 minutes, more than everyone besides the keeper, Travis and Armstrong.

He averaged 86 minutes per start, which for a 35 year old is massively impressive.

Many fans had him down as their player of the season too. Yet you say he never played and he wasn’t good enough. That’s got to be a wind up!

Must have missed all that, I just thiught he was a donkey

51 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I dont get the clamour to play a back 5, in essence partially to accommodate Wharton, as if he needs to be shoehorning into the starting 11.

Nyambe is never a wing back in a million years either. That back 5 would hardly instill any confidence.

The Phillips link seems very much a weak one but if he did sign, he would have to be capable of playing in a defensive 2.

It would also make absolutely no sense to play 4-3-3 throughout pre season (and the end of last season) if he was going to totally change it.

You are talking about Mowbray.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

Downing wasn’t good enough and hardly played?

He was our fourth most played player. He played 3,401 minutes, more than everyone besides the keeper, Travis and Armstrong.

He averaged 86 minutes per start, which for a 35 year old is massively impressive.

Many fans had him down as their player of the season too. Yet you say he never played and he wasn’t good enough. That’s got to be a wind up!

Im on about Paul, I'm comparing Phillips to Downing Paul, son of Mowbrays mate

What idiot would talk about Stu Downing like that.?

Edited by Sparks Rover
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

I thought it was pretty impressive without doing any research. Thanks for the corrections but 4 players (and possibly 5 in the offing) from one club out of 92 and that club just happens to be the home town and former club of the manager is worthy of note. From your extensive knowledge it would be interesting to know if he has signed more players from another one club. I somehow doubt it.  

I think we can take the conspiracy theory a bit further. Remember Bowyer, Lambert, Coyle and Mowbray are all with the same agency - HSH.

Guess where their registered office is?

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

I think we can take the conspiracy theory a bit further. Remember Bowyer, Lambert, Coyle and Mowbray are all with the same agency - HSH.

Guess where their registered office is?

Mmmmmm.....Bonny Boro no less. And Smallwood is a client too. Job for Tony there methinks one day. . 

5 minutes ago, unleaded said:

Philips Doesn’t strike me as the MAN defender TM said he wanted unless they just stabbing in the dark now ... Does get dark these days at 8 pm at Brockhall ..... 

Does worry me if they going to C or D list...

I'm guessing Mowbray thought he had Kipre in the bag and it seems he's off to West Brom now so yer, we must be onto the backups now

4 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

Tosin was only 21 when he joined us last season, but I think it's fair to label him as a defender who was ready and able. I don't know anything about Phillips, but he did play 19 times for a Bundesliga 2 outfit last season. Looks quite tall.

I think when we signed Tosin, there wasn't exactly a euphoric feeling. It'd probably be similar if we signed this guy on loan.

6ft 2”
Played RCB in a 5
Passing range is decent but not Tosin levels

18 minutes ago, unleaded said:

Philips Doesn’t strike me as the MAN defender TM said he wanted unless they just stabbing in the dark now ... Does get dark these days at 8 pm at Brockhall ..... 

To be fair some of us will be pleasantly surprised with the C or D list. I'm still expecting Big Brian  from the Dog and Partridge to slot in at left back come the end of the window. 

3 minutes ago, JoeH said:

6ft 2”
Played RCB in a 5
Passing range is decent but not Tosin levels

I don't think passing has to be the main criteria for a centre-back. I'd rather have a defender with position awareness, who can defend. The main miss from Tosin might actually be his pace. He was able to get back on occasions when strikers were through, which is a bit rare in centre backs.

Anyway they should force whoever they get to watch the this video from defensive maestro Maldini:

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, islander200 said:

The young celtic chap isn't who JB was posting about .He said last night it was someone else

Stay tuned for an Update later .JB doing an 11 o'clocker

Wll its was obvious that JB's possible signing was the ex Celtic forward

24 minutes ago, unleaded said:

Its appears that we had Kipre in the bag until WBA came in. 

Philips could be just 1 of 2 defenders coming in.