BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

4 minutes ago, JoeH said:

They've spent a lot yeah. This myth that they never spend is silly. Mbeumo cost them £6m. £5.5m on Pontus Jansson. £4m on David Raya. 

Yes but they sold Maupay for £20m after buying him for £1.6m.

Also sold John Egan for £4m, Chris Mepham for £12m, Nico Yennaris for £4.9m, Jota for £6m, Scott Hogan for £9m, Andre Gray for £9m - so they have a negative net spend over the years.

Edited by LeftWinger
  • Like 7

4 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Also sold John Egan for £4m, Chris Mepham for £12m, Nico Yennaris for £4.9m, Jota for £6m, Scott Hogan for £9m, Andre Gray for £9m - so they have a negative net spend over the years.

I didn't claim they had lost any money... I just said the claim that they are where they are without spending any money isn't true. Nobody here would be happy with Armstrong and Travis leaving to fund the arrival of Ben Whiteman and Greg Cunningham.

Just now, LeftWinger said:

Our net spending must be right up there considering we've spent about £15m - £20m since being back in the Championship and only sold Raya for decent money. 

• Like 1

Right and if we sold Armstrong and Travis, everyone would be happier? Come on.

If we sold Travis and Armstrong and signed Raya, Jansson, Pinnock, Norgaard, Jensen and Mbuemo I would be happy, yes. More than happy.

Just now, JoeH said:

I didn't claim they had lost any money... I just said the claim that they are where they are without spending any money isn't true. Nobody here would be happy with Armstrong and Travis leaving to fund the arrival of Ben Whiteman and Greg Cunningham.

Of course they wouldn't, but Brentford are replacing like-with-like i.e. Maupay with Watkins ... they aren't replacing Maupay with a left-back. 

Edited by Hoochie Bloochie Mama
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, LeftWinger said:

No doubt Brentford is best in class in finding potential gems, and operative with net negativ spend. They do however have a pretty high turnover of players. For every gem there is also at least 2-3 duffs. Last year they bought 11 players, where Mbuemo is the best.  The most impressive thing seems they manage to keep at coherent, exciting team even when having to replace key players each season.

Benharama and Watkins is expected to leave, so it they need to find good replacements to have a similar seasons. They just bought Ivan Toney for 5-10 mill which is probably a replacement for Watkins. Benharama will take some genious work to replace though.

Just now, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Of course they wouldn't, but Brentford are replacing lie-with-like i.e. Maupay with Watkins ... they aren't replacing Maupay with a left-back. 

Exactly. They signed Raya, Pinnock, Jensen, Norgaard, Mbuemo and Jansson for Maupay. It’s a ridiculous argument from Joe on this one unfortunately.

Just now, briansol said:

No doubt Brentford is best in class in finding potential gems, and operative with net negativ spend. They do however have a pretty high turnover of players. For every gem there is also at least 2-3 duffs. Last year they bought 11 players, where Mbuemo is the best.  The most impressive thing seems they manage to keep at coherent, exciting team even when having to replace key players each season.

Benharama and Watkins is expected to leave, so it they need to find good replacements to have a similar seasons. They just bought Ivan Toney for 5-10 mill which is probably a replacement for Watkins. Benharama will take some genious work to replace though.

Only one player that can replace Benharama, and that's Dolan!!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JoeH said:

I'd lose Travis for Cunningham and Whiteman

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mellor Rover said:

Exactly. They signed Raya, Pinnock, Jensen, Norgaard, Mbuemo and Jansson for Maupay. It’s a ridiculous argument from Joe on this one unfortunately.

What are you purporting that my argument is? I simply said "Brentford do spend money"... I'm baffled as to what you're suggesting I'm arguing. Whether or not they turn a profit or break even isn't whats in question, I'm simply responding to this idea that Brentford always sign players for £0 and somehow get into the Top 6. They actually spend a huge chunk of what they bring in.

Edited by JoeH

1 minute ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Of course they wouldn't, but Brentford are replacing lie-with-like i.e. Maupay with Watkins ... they aren't replacing Maupay with a left-back. 

They did a brilliant move there. Watkins already had a season there as Forward right. They changed him to central striker and brought in Mbeumo in his position. Played out well for them.

Worth noting they brought in Watkins from league 2 for a good sum at that level (2.5 mill) I think, and he hit the ground running immediatly. They are very good at keeping track of the lower leagues.

1 minute ago, LDRover said:

Nobody cares as long as the team moves forward

And after the business we've done with Gallagher and Brereton do you really think we would? "The Brentford Model" only works if you have a top class recruitment department.

8 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Right and if we sold Armstrong and Travis, everyone would be happier? Come on.

We all know that if we sold those two that 75% of the cash would not be seen again. It would disappear from view in the name of FFP or balancing the books. 

The residual balance would be drip fed back into the squad to fund a couple of relatively expensive loans or misguided project signings.

BRFC would not see much if any benefit.

At Brentford they pre-empt big sales by identifying and lining up replacements, investing for the betterment of the club including on a brand new stadium. Therefore progress continues on the conveyor belt and the club grows and prospers.

I'm staunchly against sales of our assets because we've seen what happens when we do and how the club suffers.

• Like 2

Just now, JHRover said:

At Brentford they pre-empt big sales by identifying and lining up replacements, investing for the betterment of the club including on a brand new stadium. Therefore progress continues on the conveyor belt and the club grows and prospers.

Absolutely they do, but people get dragged into this idea that Brentford always sign players for a pittance. They've spent well over £25m in the last two seasons. Yes they're turning a profit, but that's not really the point. We can't afford to spend £25m because we can't afford the risk of letting £25m of players leave.

2 minutes ago, Butty said:

We spent £12 million on Brereton and Gallagher. People in glass houses....

This is what happens when you give Mowbray good money to spend.

Looking at Brentford's model, they seem to be able to raise a player's value in 2-3 years and then sell them and get back what they paid for and more. Doubt Brereton is anywhere near £5 million currently.

And after the business we've done with Gallagher and Brereton do you really think we would? "The Brentford Model" only works if you have a top class recruitment department.

No I don't. But that's not my argument. Your argument is that Brentford spend money, which they do...in fact every transfer costs money in some way. The argument against you is that they reinvest what profit they have made and have a negative net spend.

• Like 1

Just now, LDRover said:

Your argument is that Brentford spend money, which they do...The argument against you is that they reinvest what profit they have made and have a negative net spend.

I can't see how the two correlate. I'm aware they fund their business through sales, I'm not and have never denied that. The point made, Brentford don't spend a pittance, is still there and valid...

34 minutes ago, JoeH said:

If it worked out then the initial unhappiness would disappear quite quickly.

It's the lack of faith backed by proof in that happening here that causes the angst.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Absolutely they do, but people get dragged into this idea that Brentford always sign players for a pittance. They've spent well over £25m in the last two seasons. Yes they're turning a profit, but that's not really the point. We can't afford to spend £25m because we can't afford the risk of letting £25m of players leave.

They also have a smaller wage budget than ours as well. So doing a very good job of finding players at very good prices, who don't cost the earth on a weekly basis.

The amazing thing about them is that i think in total their owner has only invested £15m of his own cash into them since he took over. With the moneyball strategy he has implemented, he's rebuilt the club from top to bottom, with the backing of fans who understand they need to sell to then reinvest. 

It is something we could and should have implemented by now, but would require a complete rebuild of the club with a chairman who knows what he is doing.

As JoeH, season review and potential signings book revealed their are some really good players in the lower leagues available this season for not silly money, so i can see Brentford doing well. Maybe for left back we could look into the Crewe lad who was suggested? 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

I'd lose Travis for Cunningham and Whiteman

But you'd prefer to lose Evans and Williams instead for those 2 surely ?

I would, it shouldn't always have to be selling a good asset to reinvest in better.

• Like 2