BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

My concern is slightly different. I know money and contracts are major issues but.....either you or your agent arrives at Brockhall....or it’s virtual ......you listen to Waggott or Mowbray or both......they give their “ vision “ ...they “ excite” you with where you will be playing ..they trot out their examples of previous successful signings...Brereton, Gallagher, Harper, Palmer , Payne , Chapman .....

” Sign here son “ .......I don’t think so . 
Whilst these two characters remain at the helm was a are in a tough place . 

Edited by Dolly blue
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Miller11 said:

You are expecting a level of autonomy that only Alex Ferguson, Brian Clough, Dario Gradi and avid players of football manager games have had. “Who needs Zidane when we have Sherwood” springs to mind.

Owners, chairmen, directors, recruitment teams, heads of recruitment, global advisors, trusted partners, agents and high profile disgruntled supporters have all had a say in transfers in recent years. Managers aren’t simply given a budget to spend as they wish.

There's pretty much only Waggot and Mowbray with any sort of power at Ewood. That's the structure we're operating with.

3 minutes ago, Dolly blue said:

My concern is slightly different. I know money and contracts are major issues but.....either you or your agent arrives at Brockall....or it’s virtual ......you listen to Waggott or Mowbray or both......they give their “ vision “ ...they “ excite” you with where you will be playing ..they trot out their examples of previous successful signings...Brereton, Gallagher, Harper, Palmer , Payne , Chapman .....

Unfair. Ignores the clear development seen in the likes of Armstrong & Dack, and the tangible advancement of numerous academy graduates past & present during TM's reign. Plus the potential for improvement in several other signings.  There's plenty for Mowbray to crow about when trying to sell the club, despite having uninterested owners.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

They've spent a lot yeah. This myth that they never spend is silly. Mbeumo cost them £6m. £5.5m on Pontus Jansson. £4m on David Raya. £5m Ivan Toney. £3.4m Mathias Jensen. £3m Ethan Pinnock.

And they finance that by selling their top players and using the money to reinvest. They make a net profit on transfers every summer. This is where Mowbray is incredibly fortunate he get's funds to strengthen every summer and doesn't not have to sell key players to get those funds. Every summer Mowbray has been here we have a plus net spend on transfers, there aren't many other managers in the Championship who could say that. And of course another problem is that very few of Mowbray's signing would make a profit.

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

There's pretty much only Waggot and Mowbray with any sort of power at Ewood. That's the structure we're operating with.

I’d suggest their power is pretty minimal. Remember Venky’s have installed Suhail at Ewood as their representative. 

Nothing happens without Venky’s green lighting it.

• Like 1

Edwards isnt very good. Stoke fans would be glad to see the back of him and have questioned his professionalism in the past. Also, right back isnt the priority at the moment.

It seems that we are focusing on Stokes reserves at the moment which surely is a haven of defensive quality, right?

The days tick by towards that first game and as per last year, closing in on the new season, the defence remains untouched. I have settled for the fact that Bell and Wharton will start on the opening day.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Atko's Engine said:

Unfair. Ignores the clear development seen in the likes of Armstrong & Dack, and the tangible advancement of numerous academy graduates past & present during TM's reign. Plus the potential for improvement in several other signings.  There's plenty for Mowbray to crow about when trying to sell the club, despite having uninterested owners.

I acknowledge development in Dack and Armstrong...could there have been further development in Armstrong had he been played correctly at the start of his time at Ewood...? ...who knows? 
The academy graduates are doing well...but they are often singled out for Mowbray criticism...eg, Nyambe , Raya , Travis . Hopefully JRC , Dolan, Vale , Buckley will be given appropriate game time in their positions...and not hung out today like others mentioned. Senior pros seem to avoid this !
As you can see....my beef is with a very uninspiring man,  Mr Mowbray  ( touchline body language, half time team talks ) and the CEO ... ( club shop ? condition of the pitch ?season tickets sale ?) 

Im not asking for the earth...I’m looking for some communication, some inspiration and some hope ....none of those things cost money! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RovingRover said:

Bowyer found more bargains because he was playing at a lower level.

Once promoted the vast majority of the players, even the better ones, have been found insufficient for Championship level. In fact the academy players have fared better in most instances.

The good players we signed under Bowyer were sold off bar one or two players. Carney and Gestede were his successes. Whilst current squad wise Corry Evans is about his only legacy.

Well that's 3 then! But what about Josh King and Shane Duffy?

Players sold while Bowyer was manager went for £16M (including £nil for King) and we paid out a total of £2M to bring players in!

In his 2 full seasons as manager we finished 8th and 9th. Needless to say Mowbray has never achieved this.

Some of our current players have been found insufficient for Championship level too haven't they despite costing the millions Bowyer never had?

• Like 7

30 minutes ago, Dolly blue said:

My concern is slightly different. I know money and contracts are major issues but.....either you or your agent arrives at Brockhall....or it’s virtual ......you listen to Waggott or Mowbray or both......they give their “ vision “ ...they “ excite” you with where you will be playing ..they trot out their examples of previous successful signings...Brereton, Gallagher, Harper, Palmer , Payne , Chapman .....

If the pitch is we see you as back up to x.y.z until you get your chance then yes, very concerning.

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

They've spent a lot yeah. This myth that they never spend is silly. Mbeumo cost them £6m. £5.5m on Pontus Jansson. £4m on David Raya. £5m Ivan Toney. £3.4m Mathias Jensen. £3m Ethan Pinnock.

I've never heard £4M on Raya but they've spent better than we did eh? £15M on 3 strikers and nix on defence!

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

I didn't claim they had lost any money... I just said the claim that they are where they are without spending any money isn't true. Nobody here would be happy with Armstrong and Travis leaving to fund the arrival of Ben Whiteman and Greg Cunningham.

Terribly loaded comparison, as we've come to expect!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 47er said:

I've never heard £4M on Raya but they've spent better than we did eh? £15M on 3 strikers and nix on defence!

Of course they've spent better. Never denied that. I simply said the idea that they've spent a pittance is untrue.

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

Absolutely they do, but people get dragged into this idea that Brentford always sign players for a pittance. They've spent well over £25m in the last two seasons. Yes they're turning a profit, but that's not really the point. We can't afford to spend £25m because we can't afford the risk of letting £25m of players leave.

We can't afford to spend £25M because Mowbray would turn it into £5M.

• Like 3

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

No one has said that they spent a pittance. You seem to be arguing with yourself and missing the points that are being made.

Quite right. The thread was about clubs who have got promotion, or in Btrentford's case just missed out, while spending less than we have.

Which, I contend, means they are better managed and reflects badly on Mowbray that he's never even got near top 6.

2 hours ago, Swanson said:

I would be happy with Tom Edwards coming here. Good full back. 

only 1 year left on his contract there. Not playing there. Stoke need to cut numbers and their squad. 

Played 40 games at Stoke and won Stanley Matthews Footballer of the Year Award in 2019

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/tom-edwards-stoke-city-award-2951004

2 hours ago, unleaded said:

Looks like Rovers have missed out On another target ..  Left back 

Was Due in but did a Kipre at the last minute as the other buying club paid 800 K .with better wages .. Rovers bid was 600k 

Good Player ... Shame .. international who was in the last 4 months of his contract 

At least the World Wide Network is up and running ....

Any names who this player? and which club did he move to?

Player from Norway or Denmark?

50 minutes ago, RovingRover said:

I wouldn't.

We need Travis in our centre midfield for the long term. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

No one has said that they spent a pittance. You seem to be arguing with yourself and missing the points that are being made.

Actually, yes they did. 

4 minutes ago, 47er said:

Which, I contend, means they are better managed and reflects badly on Mowbray that he's never even got near top 6.

I agree... I simply stated that they haven't spent a pittance, I don't know what makes you think there's anything more or less to that.