BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

21 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

I'll dress the situation up a different way chaddy.

You go out Saturday afternoon and neck a good 18 pints of Stella. There's a naughty little blonde offering it on a plate later on so you take her home and do the deed. What a do, she's got all the moves.

Later the next week you feel a bit tender downstairs and something ain't right, you go to the clap clinic and she's given you a nasty dose of chlamydia the slapper!

A month later you're back on the Stella, even a few sambuca this time. Ey up she's knocking about again and looking incredible. Things start following the same route as last time. Do you stop and think maybe you should bag up this time or just not bother at all? Going into the season with Bell as left back and no new centre halves is going in balls deep, 3 times, and not washing for a month after.

?? Think  that explanation deserves a clap.

• Like 9

23 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

You go out Saturday afternoon and neck a good 18 pints of Stella. There's a naughty little blonde offering it on a plate later on so you take her home and do the deed. What a do, she's got all the moves.

Later the next week you feel a bit tender downstairs and something ain't right, you go to the clap clinic and she's given you a nasty dose of chlamydia the slapper!

A month later you're back on the Stella, even a few sambuca this time. Ey up she's knocking about again and looking incredible. Things start following the same route as last time. Do you stop and think maybe you should bag up this time or just not bother at all? Going into the season with Bell as left back and no new centre halves is going in balls deep, 3 times, and not washing for a month after.

18 pints? Even if I could move or see, I dont think I would even get it up.

Edited by JacknOry
  • Like 4

28 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Are you Ian Holloway?????

• Like 6

53 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

That's the best bit of fiction in 385 pages and its had some decent competition. :goal: 

I'm with Chaddy on this one. Despite the throwaway remarks of others since last night, he's clearly not saying we shouldn't aim for a good start and it's unfair to suggest he is, but he is correct in the sense that it's a marathon not a sprint. A good start doesn't guarantee success, nor vice versa.

On paper, our opening game is one of, if not the, toughest all season. We won't go up, stay in the Champ or go down depending on whether we win, lose or draw that match. If anything, the Wycombe game is more important in view of past experience, as that's the type of game we historically struggle with.

In any event I'm 100% certain the aim is to go into the Bournemouth game with a new LB & CB. The club is clearly not just sitting their twiddling it's thumbs in that respect. Whether it happens or not remains to be seen, but good late arrivals did happen last season (Tosin, Cunningham) which supports Chaddy's premise that clubs on a budget can do their best business later in the window once realism dawns on a few players, agents and their parent clubs that their wage / transfer fee expectations need reining in.

Oh and Chaddy, you forgot to mention that it was the much-vaunted Warnock who was in charge at Cardiff during their slow start last season. Just sayin'! ?

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Ossydave said:

Well if I've already caught it....

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

I'm with Chaddy on this one. Despite the throwaway remarks of others since last night, he's clearly not saying we shouldn't aim for a good start and it's unfair to suggest he is, but he is correct in the sense that it's a marathon not a sprint. A good start doesn't guarantee success, nor vice versa.

On paper, our opening game is one of, if not the, toughest all season. We won't go up, stay in the Champ or go down depending on whether we win, lose or draw that match. If anything, the Wycombe game is more important in view of past experience, as that's the type of game we historically struggle with.

In any event I'm 100% certain the aim is to go into the Bournemouth game with a new LB & CB. The club is clearly not just sitting their twiddling it's thumbs in that respect. Whether it happens or not remains to be seen, but good late arrivals did happen last season (Tosin, Cunningham) which supports Chaddy's premise that clubs on a budget can do their best business later in the window once realism dawns on a few players, agents and their parent clubs that their wage / transfer fee expectations need reining in.

Oh and Chaddy, you forgot to mention that it was the much-vaunted Warnock who was in charge at Cardiff during their slow start last season. Just sayin'! ?

I think we all know that the club wants to sign players and Mowbray and Waggott will be very busy and certainly not twiddling their thumbs. 

The problem is that Mowbray should be busy with training and team matters. Waggott has the whole commercial side of the club look after.

As a club we do not have the infrastructure to concentrate on recruitment. We have Mark Venus but other clubs, as Mowbray pointed our during a previous window, have layers of management, recruitment teams, agent liaison officers, communications staff. We have none of that. It's not surprising we are behind the curve when chasing players that other clubs are also interested in.

The best business may well be done late in the window but we are always at a disadvantage because we are not set up to do swift business.

If we had owners who realised this then things may be different. Perhaps Mowbray and Waggott are at fault for not pointing this out to them.

It was that kind of mentality that cost us after lockdown despite winning the first game.

Get on it as soon as you can and stay on it as long as you can. Winning mentality needed at all times not this well we'll have a look and see, if we lose we'll shrug our shoulders because it's ok there's always the next one.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, tomphil said:

It was that kind of mentality that cost us after lockdown despite winning the first game.

Get on it as soon as you can and stay on it as long as you can. Winning mentality needed at all times not this well we'll have a look and see, if we lose we'll shrug our shoulders because it's ok there's always the next one.

Set out to win every game. Every loss is a dagger in your side.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Crimpshrine said:

but other clubs, as Mowbray pointed our during a previous window, have layers of management, recruitment teams, agent liaison officers, communications staff

I may be on my own here but I'd rather have Mark Venus heading up a one man team than layers upon layers of bureaucrats, soaking up much needed funds out of the club, taking cuts and looking after their own interests. DoF models and training only managers and all that stuff (Head coaches) is way too much for me, and mainly what's wrong with modern football.

The last thing we need is agents and suits running our club again. I take Mark Venus sat in a Costa Coffee getting things done in the final days of the window any day of the week over that.

Edited by JoeH

5 minutes ago, JoeH said:

I may be on my own here but I'd rather have Mark Venus heading up a one man team than layers upon layers of beaurocrats, soaking up much needed funds out of the club, taking cuts and looking after their own interests. DoF models and training only managers and all that stuff (Head coaches) is way too much for me, and mainly what's wrong with modern football.

The last thing we need is agents and suits running our club again. I take Mark Venus sat in a Costa Coffee getting things done in the final days of the window any day of the week over that.

Mowbray obviously disagrees. He was complaining about how difficult he was finding things and was talking enviously of the set up at other clubs. It was in LT interview last year sometime. We are just not at the races when it comes to set up behind the scenes.

1 minute ago, Crimpshrine said:

Mowbray obviously disagrees. He was complaining about how difficult he was finding things and was talking enviously of the set up at other clubs. It was in LT interview last year sometime. We are just not at the races when it comes to set up behind the scenes.

I don't really care for Mowbray's opinion on off the field matters like this, I don't find it to be his domain.

We should be avoiding any unnecessary suits and bureaucrats at all costs

You can just see it now can’t you. That first game against Bournemouth, Kaminski “needs time to adapt” and “we’re finding it really difficult” as we field a back 5 of Fisher, Bennett, Mulgrew, Lenihan and Bell. Fuck me. It really is inexcusable how that back 5 is even a remote possibility after 3 years at the club.

Edited by Mellor Rover

Just now, Mellor Rover said:

You can just see it now can’t you. That first game against Bournemouth, Kaminski “needs time to adapt” and “we’re finding it really difficult” as we field a back 4 of Fisher, Bennett, Mulgrew, Lenihan and Bell. Fuck me. It really is inexcusable how that back 4 is even a remote possibility after 3 years at the club.

Don’t be too disheartened. It’ll be Del for Mulgrew.

Fecking hell we need 2 x defenders, like yesterday. 

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Don’t be too disheartened. It’ll be Del for Mulgrew.

Fecking hell we need 2 x defenders, like yesterday. 

Not when we’re protecting him for a move to MLS/Swansea. Gallagher on the wing too... Christ.

2 hours ago, Ossydave said:

Surely you don't wrap up lol

13 minutes ago, JoeH said:

I don't really care for Mowbray's opinion on off the field matters like this, I don't find it to be his domain.

We should be avoiding any unnecessary suits and bureaucrats at all costs

That's exactly the point - it shouldn't be his domain but it is because there is no one else.

You say avoid extra recruitment staff at all costs - well fair enough - you must be resigned to missing out on players and therefore having a poorer team. That's the cost.

22 minutes ago, Crimpshrine said:

well fair enough - you must be resigned to missing out on players and therefore having a poorer team. That's the cost.

Where to start. Probably best not too. What a ridiculous conclusion to draw from the opinion that we shouldn't allow suits and bureaucrats back into the football club.