BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

7 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

He started the League Cup game and looked our best defender.

He looked like a lower league defender to me. And if he looked the best and we conceded 2 to a Doncaster team missing their best player then god help us ey.

1 minute ago, unleaded said:

Interesting that Kipre is quoted as saying he knew of WBA wanting him a month ago .. 

we were all ways going to be a second choice back up plan ... really can’t blame the guy ....

Is Mowbray playing a game of trying to buy the unattainable here because that is how it's starting to feel? Then he can shrug his shoulders and say at least he tried?

• Like 8

Kipre - made a terrible move. When a club says we will have you but only if we can't find anyone else, you should probably realise that it's not the best move for you and they don't have much faith in you. 

Shame.for us too as he would have been a good addition for us. 

Whilst the situation isn't irredeemable - and it's daft to write off the season at this stage - the fact that we still are two first 11 defenders short - and probably a couple of squad defenders too - is not a good situation to be in. Defences benefit from continuity and working together yet we still are floundering about trying to get players in with less than 2 weeks to go. 

At present even without the hinderance of Walton we have a long way to go before we have the same squad strength and ability as last season. We've lost the excellent Tosin and Downing - two of our best players from last season - without replacement. We are missing the attacking options of Graham and Samuel who if I am honest I think the only things Gally and Bereton have over the two respectively is age and the potential to get better. As is Bereton isn't better than Samuel and Gally isn't better than Graham on last season's showing. Of course not being placed on the wing will improve Gally but it's an uncertainty in terms of the level of improvement and him not being played on the wing. Johnson and Mulgrew are a year older and weaker (realise this would have applied to Graham too so perhaps not too bad he was let go IF replaced) and Cunningham albeit a brief stint isn't here either. We also, and I can't believe I am saying this, miss Leuts as a second keeper. 

Don't get me wrong I am not totally gutted to see any of the players leave IF replaced properly. However at present the team bar keeping position is significantly weaker than last season and needs a fair number of players even to stand still, much less improve on the squad quality. Sure there's time to fix it but to deny we are in a weakened position right now and recognise a fix isn't guarenteed is naive imo. We seem to be doing one better (worse?) than the phrase to stand still is going backwards and actually seem to be heading backwards at full steam at present. 

If Kaminski is even just a tolerable goalkeeper I think a defence of Kaminski, Nyambe, Lenihan, Wharton, Bell keeps out more goals than a defence of Walton, Nyambe, Lenihan, Tosin, Bell.

But it's a big if.

I do wonder with Kipre how realistic or serious our interest was. Dont get me wrong, its obvious there was something there and we were involved in some sort of discussion, but was it always unlikely and at best a fall back option for him if a move elsewhere didn't materialise and he dropped his demands and ambitions?

I suppose what I'm getting at is if we had signed him it would have been so out of keeping with our business these last 5 years.

He would have been ideal for us in most departments, and we just don't sign players like that here.

The right age, scope to increase in value and ability.

A bargain at less than a million.

Decent experience at this level and highly rated by most who have watched him.

A permanent deal.

We do not sign defenders who tick all those boxes.

That is why it was so strange that the Telegraph plastered our imminent signing of him on their back page.

I really do wonder sometimes if other games are being played out behind the scenes.

WBA were interested a month ago. So why on earth just over a week ago were we supposedly in for him? Or was it just rubbish fed to the fans knowing that it would buy another few weeks?

I honestly wouldn't put anything past them

I suppose It doesn't really matter because in the end we are no further along with the season upon us. No points for being interested or trying.

• Like 2

Strange nobody’s gone for Morsy at Wigan ..  worth 2 million .. Wigan would prob take 750 if Kipre went for that .... 

Only 2 decent players they have / had ... 

He's a nasty so and so. Definitely not Mowbray's type, but probably just the type we could do with.

• Like 4

Strange nobody’s gone for Morsy at Wigan ..  worth 2 million .. Wigan would prob take 750 if Kipre went for that .... 

Only 2 decent players they have / had ... 

Get the feeling Morsy won't leave. He's captain and has been very involved in the off the field stuff. Fundraising, spreading awareness. I think he's one they'll do everything to keep a hold of.

• Backroom

With £900,000 not spent on Kipre, I'd focus our energies (if we're even looking at these) on Ayala (free) and Cunningham.

That would immediately make our defence much more solid.

That's just based on names I know of, no idea whom the club is targeting.

Edited by Mike E
  • Like 3

• Backroom
2 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

I think Evans has been very good since our return to the Championship, but he's injured far too often (I know most of it isn't something he can do much about). Morsy would be a much more-reliable option, but I suspect it's not considered a priority position. Even at £750K, we probably couldn't afford to do that AND deal with CB and LB positions.

Also slight concerns over how well bringing Morsy into the fold would go down with Dack and the rest...

If we were to sell Evans to Stoke as part of a deal to get Lindsay, and spent some money getting Morsy in, I'd be rather happy with that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mike E said:

With £900,000 not spent on Kipre, I'd focus our energies (if we're even looking at these) on Ayala (free) and Cunningham.

Ayala would be a great addition.

4 minutes ago, unleaded said:

Zimba snapped up by Cardif .... good young player ...

Chanka Zimba? Didn't seem to make sense that we let him go. We have since spent (presumably) to bring in McBride for that youth striker spot, so I hope we rate him higher than Zimba.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mike E said:

If we were to sell Evans to Stoke as part of a deal to get Lindsay, and spent some money getting Morsy in, I'd be rather happy with that.

I had a feeling that Evans might have gone to Stoke last year, if not for his injury. Worryingly, he has been picked for NI again, so will probably be injured for the rest of the transfer window...

• Like 2