BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

51 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

This is just so disturbing. Why why why why why? We have Travis, Evans, Johnson, Davenport and recently Holtby all playing that holding role and to be honest quite a few of them can do it quite well. 

Utterly bizarre to be going in for another one.

...unless someone is going.....

Chanka Zimba was one of the 18's lot who wasn't offered a new contract, usually says a lot. Cat One academy here at Rovers and it's tough to make the cut.

Sam Burns nearly didn't make the cut either as one person posted in the Academy thread, but his game against Arsenal swung it in his favour with TM in attendance.

23 minutes ago, blue_n_white99 said:

So would Cunningham, massive upgrade on Bell

Wish people would strop rewriting history on Cunningham, he was bang average in his few games with us - just being an upgrade on Bell doesn’t mean he’s good enough. That’s not even mentioning that he’s had an injury that most would struggle to come back from, avoid.

• Like 6

Just now, RV Blue said:

Wish people would strop rewriting history on Cunningham, he was bang average in his few games with us - just being an upgrade on Bell doesn’t mean he’s good enough. That’s not even mentioning that he’s had an injury that most would struggle to come back from, avoid.

I don't think he's quite as good as everyone made him out to be. He would be an improvement on Bell, but so would my gran and she turned 98 yesterday.

• Like 1

Just now, RV Blue said:

Bang average in your opinion, I thought he was decent and was excellent at Preston.

Take your point about his injury though that should be taken into consideration

• Like 1

Just now, RV Blue said:

Fair enough on the injury, but bang average isn't at all fair. You could argue that he didn't play enough to show his weaknesses, but when he played he was good. 

• Like 2

I really hope Tosin is available for loan again. That would be ideal, never getting a game at city. 

See the two young Centre midfielders at Man Utd are being looked at by Championship clubs Garner and Levitt. Levitt looks a bit more of the dogged type we are looking for.

I think sticking Nyambe in with Lenihan and putting JRC at Right back might be the best option for the Bournemouth game. With Williams or Bell at Left back.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

He looked like a lower league defender to me. And if he looked the best and we conceded 2 to a Doncaster team missing their best player then god help us ey.

We were playing a L2 player at LB and an attacking midfielder at RB. Not to mention our GK was playing his first professional game.

We're fucked if we don't recruit more defenders, but Wharton isn't the problem.

• Backroom

If Cunningham is better than Bell (which he undoubtedly is), then that's the end of the argument.

If we know better left backs available for not much, then that's great too. I was just using Cunningham as a player I know of, whom I think is better than Bell.

1 minute ago, Mike E said:

If Cunningham is better than Bell (which he undoubtedly is), then that's the end of the argument.

If we know better left backs available for not much, then that's great too. I was just using Cunningham as a player I know of, whom I think is better than Bell.

why bother with some old injury prone player? Haven't we got enough of them. 

2 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Cunningham won't be cheap though. 

There's a difference between an upgrade over Bell (which should be easy to find) and a cost effective upgrade over Bell.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

Nobody is 'rewriting' history here. The general consensus at the time was he was pretty good and a serious improvement on Bell. Rewriting history would be if the consensus was he was meh. This, however, is just people having a different view of a player to you.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Chanka Zimba? Didn't seem to make sense that we let him go. We have since spent (presumably) to bring in McBride for that youth striker spot, so I hope we rate him higher than Zimba.

Happy for Chanka, he's a good lad.

He got rather screwed by the fact the 18's simply didn't have a proper #9 last year and Chanka was played there as he had a bigger build than Burns, Brennan, Lonsdale, Gilsenan etc.

Brentford had him for a trial and Sunderland were keen (pre-covid) so Cardiff is a good landing spot. He should revert back to an attacking midfielder/winger now.

Does anyone know why Enzo Boyomo hasn't signed?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Happy for Chanka, he's a good lad.

He got rather screwed by the fact the 18's simply didn't have a proper #9 last year and Chanka was played there as he had a bigger build than Burns, Brennan, Lonsdale, Gilsenan etc.

Brentford had him for a trial and Sunderland were keen (pre-covid) so Cardiff is a good landing spot. He should revert back to an attacking midfielder/winger now.

Does anyone know why Enzo Boyomo hasn't signed?

Not sure why he didn't stay but he's moved to Spain, can't remember who with now

55 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

I had a feeling that Evans might have gone to Stoke last year, if not for his injury. Worryingly, he has been picked for NI again, so will probably be injured for the rest of the transfer window...

Evans fit just in time for an International, great timing as usual...?

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Cunningham won't be cheap though. 

There's a difference between an upgrade over Bell (which should be easy to find) and a cost effective upgrade over Bell.

This is why it should be pretty straightforwards the bar isn't very high there Bell is a league 1 wide attacking midfielder  ability wise trying to play as a Championship wing back.

Tommy Spurr was a standard mid level left back and despite a chronic lack of pace was much better than Bell so surely there's similar out there.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LDRover said:

Is Mowbray playing a game of trying to buy the unattainable here because that is how it's starting to feel? Then he can shrug his shoulders and say at least he tried?

It's a conspiracy then? Mowbray is an enemy agent (sent out from Burnley, perhaps) out to ruin Rovers by playing advanced head games with the fans?  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Commondore said:

It's a conspiracy then? Mowbray is an enemy agent (sent out from Burnley, perhaps) out to ruin Rovers by playing advanced head games with the fans?  

No idea mate. But it makes as much sense as taking 8 transfer windows to end up with half a defence.

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, tomphil said:

This is why it should be pretty straightforwards the bar isn't very high there Bell is a league 1 wide attacking midfielder  ability wise trying to play as a Championship wing back.

Tommy Spurr was a standard mid level left back and despite a chronic lack of pace was much better than Bell so surely there's similar out there.

Calvin Verdonk (released by Feyenoord), Brad Smith (released by Liverpool) and Stephen Kingsley (released by Hull City) would all be good options for Rovers.

Personally would love to see us take a look at Calvin Verdonk.268320.jpg.193a7c33f3e99a8f0a1f8a22774827d7.jpg

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Commondore said:

I dont know about an enemy agent sent to ruin Rovers.

But how about this for a conspiracy:

Mowbray has been promising to sign proper defenders for over a year and has failed. Who knows why that might be but our current situation represents a recruitment failure without a doubt.

It is cheap and easy to drip feed stuff to the media to keep the fans quiet and buy some time. The alternative is panic stations. It is in his and the club's interests for people to believe things are happening and that good players who would improve us are being chased.

The Kipre one has bought him another fortnight. Now it turns out WBA were in the pursuit weeks ago so we were highly unlikely to get him unless that deal collapsed and nobody else came in

We've form for this sort of thing. Remember Assombalonga whose pursuit took us through the entire January window in 2019 only to sign nobody other than Chapman. Remember last summers goalkeeper pursuits of Darlow and Hart. Again those links in the Telegraph came from somewhere close to home and convinced the masses that we were armed with cash to get a proven keeper whilst we ended up with Walton on loan. 

Maybe these attempts are genuine and not window dressing but either way we don't get them done and here we are. 

• Like 5