BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

8 minutes ago, alex l said:

You state this as if it is fact, yet it is widely known that we were on the verge of loaning a Chelsea youngster in Jan but he signed for Brighton permanently instead. That would indicate we do have contact for a Chelsea loan.

We had Palmer here the year before from Chelsea and Tosin from another big club 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

I have been convinced that we needed Ben Whiteman, however having seen how well Holtby and Travis played today along with the returning Messiah Bradley Dack, the ever improving Davenport and Buckley and then Evans and Johnson I don't think he's needed. 

Spend every penny we have on a centre half, a quality left back and a back up keeper and right back. 

Why do we need a right back?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I don't know whether we have adequate contacts at Chelsea or not but your argument we have based on the fact  we didn't sign one of their youngsters in Jan seems a bit thin.

Personally I wouldn't imagine they'd be in any rush to loan us players in future given the way Mowbray treated Palmer.

To be fair they were loaning us that Lamptey last January only for Brighton to buy him,that was after Palmer was here, and Chelsea soon sold Palmer who has gone on to do the square root of F all at Bristol City

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

His performances wasn't good enough for us. 

Done much since leaving us? He is similar to Izzy Brown who is 23 and still being loaned out from Chelsea

I thought he looked pretty decent on the rare occasions he got any minutes on the pitch.

Didn't the Chelsea loan manager travel up here to query why he wasn't getting more game time?

4 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I thought he looked pretty decent on the rare occasions he got any minutes on the pitch.

Didn't the Chelsea loan manager travel up here to query why he wasn't getting more game time?

It was a silly signing by Mowbray in the first place that one.

Palmer wanted to be playing the 10 the role we had our best player in 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

For me JRC is the most important one on that list. If he continues to progress he'll be worth upward of £20m in a couple of years. 

Thats one hell of an unfounded suggestion :lol: glad we have him, did some good things today and hasnt let anyone down during his dozen or so senior appearances, mainly out of position. And I would start him next weekend. But we arent sure that he can establish himself as a regular in our side yet. Talk about 20m plus price tags in the future is at this stage speculative and baseless in the extreme.

Another point of irony that i find is that we are all calling for a back up keeper, yet when a player goes elsewhere, even when there is no suggestion/guarantee for example in Kipre's case that he is going "to be back up" that he is a greedy money grabber and everything that is wrong with the game.

2 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

played 17 games and total of 928 mins. 

Since moving to Bristol City he played 44 games and total of 1,709 mins. 

So he got more game time at Rovers then his current club. 

Far too much of Show pony

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Another point of irony that i find is that we are all calling for a back up keeper, yet when a player goes elsewhere, even when there is no suggestion/guarantee for example in Kipre's case that he is going "to be back up" that he is a greedy money grabber and everything that is wrong with the game.

would you want Fisher to be number 2 keeper and no game time or actually loan him him and get properly game time whilst bringing in experience keeper on low wages? 

14 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Why do we need a right back?

Because we’re one injury away from Elliott Bennett being first choice. Leaving our wing backs as Bell and Bennett. For a full season. 

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

But we arent sure that he can establish himself as a regular in our side yet

no you aren't sure he can establish himself as a regular in our side. 

Whilst some of us are sure he can establish him as a regular in our side after seeing his development over the years similar to Lewis Travis

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

would you want Fisher to be number 2 keeper and no game time or actually loan him him and get properly game time whilst bringing in experience keeper on low wages? 

I agree that we need another keeper, Fisher is miles away, but that wasnt the point I was making.

There is irony in slagging off Kipre for going to West Brom for money (based on a fictitious theory that he has gone to warm the bench) and slag off Mulgrew for sitting on a decent contract yet endorse us signing a keeper who knows that he has not come to play. Plenty of which has been seen, not specifically you, at Rovers fans in general.

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

no you aren't sure he can establish himself as a regular in our side. 

Whilst some of us are sure he can establish him as a regular in our side after seeing his development over the years similar to Lewis Travis

We dont know that, we can only guess until he does what we might think he can do based on kids football and the very limited experience he has in the first team. Until he does, we can never be sure. Cautiously optimistic and hopeful.

My issue is that although I would like to see him play plenty of football, no one knows if he is good enough to be a regular starter in a side chasing the top 6, and like in other areas, I dont feel that the balance is correct between proven quality/effectiveness (Armstrong and a currently injured Dack who may prompt a change in formation again) and very raw, untested but of course promising players but ones who we do not know if they can regularly contribute for a team chasing the top 6, getting us goals, ie everyone else, Rankin Costello, Brereton, Chapman, Dolan, Vale, Butterworth, and to a lesser extent, Gallagher and Rothwell. In an ideal world, we would have maybe 4 or even 5 more proven options, and then that raw potential bubbling underneath, contributing as much as possible but without too much pressure should they not be ready at that time.

Talk about 20m price tags is absolutely crazy though, thats what I mainly took issue with.

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

There is irony in slagging off Kipre for going to West Brom for money (based on a fictitious theory that he has gone to warm the bench) and slag off Mulgrew for sitting on a decent contract yet endorse us signing a keeper who knows that he has not come to play. Plenty of which has been seen, not specifically you, at Rovers fans in general.

Surely no one's seriously slagging off Kipre? :lol:

Yeah, I get the bias but Kipre has no allegiance to us. If it was the other way around, we'd be wondering why Kipre chose midtable Championship mediocrity instead of breaking into a Premier League team for more money.

Edited by Amo

14 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Because we’re one injury away from Elliott Bennett being first choice. Leaving our wing backs as Bell and Bennett. For a full season. 

You can use that same argument all over the pitch though. We're an injury for Travis away from having to endure a Johnson/Evans central midfield or an injury to Armstrong away from hoping BB or Gallagher can come up with 15 - 20 goals. 

I'd rather any money was spent on a first choice CB and LB.

• Like 3

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

You can use that same argument all over the pitch though. We're an injury for Travis away from having to endure a Johnson/Evans central midfield or an injury to Armstrong away from hoping BB or Gallagher can come up with 15 - 20 goals. 

I'd rather any money was spent on a first choice CB and LB.

A Johnson/Evans partnership is far better than a Bell/Bennett one. It’s league 2 standard.

2 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

A Johnson/Evans partnership is far better than a Bell/Bennett one. It’s league 2 standard.

Barely, you're back to Evans /Smallwood type fare.

If we have enough money to bring in a back up RB without sacrificing any quality in the starting positions then fine. If not I'd sooner see any money spent improving the first choice starting eleven.

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Amo said:

Surely no one's seriously slagging off Kipre? :lol:

Yeah, I get the bias but Kipre has no allegiance to us. If it was the other way around, we'd be wondering why Kipre chose midtable Championship mediocrity instead of breaking into a Premier League team for more money.

There were quite a few people suggesting that Kipre was going for the money and to sit on the bench, the latter of which is an assumption not only that he wont play but that he has been told he wont play, when there is no reason to suspect either. As you say, any sane minded person in his situation would have chosen West Brom.

Obviously it is just looking at the situation through blue and white tinted glasses, but it is quite ironic because when a number 2 goalkeeper joins, there wont be people questioning his ambition and motivation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Fingers crossed, although i dont think anyone will sign before next weekend. Dont think Mowbray and Venkys appreciate any urgency and importance in making a strong start.

Mowbray won't want a strong start as there will be some sort of pressure/expectation of keeping it up.

If we start badly we can use the we're still looking for players etc excuse and then as we slowly drift up to mid table it will be widely lapped up as being 4,5,6,7 points off the play offs.

Edited by MarkBRFC
  • Like 5

32 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I agree that we need another keeper, Fisher is miles away, but that wasnt the point I was making.

Mulgrew has been told he can leave and he wont play for us again

I would any keeper coming in as wanting to become number 1 and fight Kamilski for the number 1 jersey

32 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

We dont know that, we can only guess until he does what we might think he can do based on kids football and the very limited experience he has in the first team. Until he does, we can never be sure. Cautiously optimistic and hopeful.

My issue is that although I would like to see him play plenty of football, no one knows if he is good enough to be a regular starter in a side chasing the top 6, and like in other areas, I dont feel that the balance is correct between proven quality/effectiveness (Armstrong and a currently injured Dack who may prompt a change in formation again) and very raw, untested but of course promising players but ones who we do not know if they can regularly contribute for a team chasing the top 6, getting us goals, ie everyone else, Rankin Costello, Brereton, Chapman, Dolan, Vale, Butterworth, and to a lesser extent, Gallagher and Rothwell. In an ideal world, we would have maybe 4 or even 5 more proven options, and then that raw potential bubbling underneath, contributing as much as possible but without too much pressure should they not be ready at that time.

Talk about 20m price tags is absolutely crazy though, thats what I mainly took issue with.

I have watched him developed and play over the last 4 years and the talent is there so now is play him regular and use him. Not block him by signing another winger. 

I feel that the front 3 of Brereton is right, Armstrong centre and Rankin Costello left is the way to go in the first game. 

on Dack, He might never be the same player or might take longer to get match fit then you think. He might be gone as soon as he is fit who knows. I think he is the player that we have a 10 million bid for. Artibro has told us we have a 10 million bid in for a player. but not named the player. 

• Like 1