BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

9 minutes ago, Mercer said:

If I was Mulgrew, I'd be sorely tempted to keep myself fit at Brockhall and take the dosh - just like Smallwood.

Bugger outposts like Portsmouth. 

Don't blame the player but, IMO, the incompetent Mowbray and Waggott who bollocksed the contract. 

Let him earn his corn.  Get him coaching how to take set pieces properly. 

Edited by Wing Wizard Windy Miller

Jozo Simunovic, centre half still a free agent since leaving Celtic. Also Victor Alvarez, Calvin Verdonck and Stephen Kingsley available as left backs. No one has snapped up Kevin Stewart former Hill city player. Daniel Ayala is another very good centre half available. Seems to be some good freebies out there. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, neophox said:

Jozo Simunovic, centre half still a free agent since leaving Celtic. Also Victor Alvarez, Calvin Verdonck and Stephen Kingsley available as left backs. No one has snapped up Kevin Stewart former Hill city player. Daniel Ayala is another very good centre half available. Seems to be some good freebies out there. 

mowbrays to busy watching countdown and tipping point mate

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

If I was Mulgrew, I'd be sorely tempted to keep myself fit at Brockhall and take the dosh - just like Smallwood.

Bugger outposts like Portsmouth. 

Don't blame the player but, IMO, the incompetent Mowbray and Waggott who bollocksed the contract. 

He's probably been told by this lot he can do that if he wants, remember Mowbrays tough ruthless words last summer ?  That's why the likes of Smallwood  weren't concerned about leaving the bleeding manager gave them his blessing to hang around despite being told they'd never be used.

Edited by tomphil

1 hour ago, Jlee1984 said:

This club is going to produce some real talent in 1-2 years time, some will move on but we will be better off financially for sure, excited to see how some of our talent perform this season, Good future ahead

We do have a good young crop coming through. Just got to keep them together for the next three years and get two experienced loanees each season.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Stuart said:

We do have a good young crop coming through. Just got to keep them together for the next three years and get two experienced loanees each season.

Need 3 more players this window and there’s plenty of time to go, Yes the league starts next week, Today was only a friendly but team showed they could compete with a good Leicester side, The team does need more strength but we can afford to wait until the right players come along, Long way to go many things can happen

2 hours ago, Blue blood said:

Chaddy you post some really good updates on goings on in the world of football, which I super appreciate. However I do find how uncertainty is used as a positive for TM and Rovers but a negative for other teams. As in uncertainty - we may sign players so we can't be negative about the squad, but Bournemouth might lose players so we can't be worried by them. It seems a little fast and loose to always have uncertainty in the favour of Rovers and an unreasonable bias. It's even more problematic when history has shown it often doesn't work in our favour - eg defenders coming, struggling to get in recruits etc. 

well firstly thankyou. 

I'm not negative about our squad at all. We have squad of talent players and some exciting young players who I want to see more of in the 1st team going forward. Yes we need 4 signings but people going on Bournemouth team like their world beaters, they aren't. They have just signed keeper Archer and he played today but the reality is that their best player Wilson is leaving, King wants a move. Plus we have no idea how they will do under Tindall or his tactics going forward. I don't fear their team at all. 

• Like 1

I think most people have raised doubts not about our opponents strength but about our weaknesses. @Ewood Ace was bang on about his analysis about our defence and if you asked people at the end of last season if they would be happy starting the season without any new defenders, no one would have said yes so the worries and criticism are fair.

Bournemouth are a good side and obviously will be expected to finish higher than us but ultimately we cant do anything about their squad.

It will be interesting to see if any of King, Wilson or Brooks play, hopefully not but they have quite a few players outside of that of very good quality at this level. Archer is not a Championship standard goalkeeper and I presume they will play Travers who is currently with the Irish squad.

Pointing out examples of other teams who have struggled to strengthen too doesnt justify our inability to do so. We need to improve quite a bit on last season to finish in the top 6 and seriously threaten promotion. Thats the aim. Even if Kaminski is an upgrade on Walton, which wont be hard but we dont know for sure until he plays, the losses of Adarabioyo, Downing and to a lesser extent Graham and 7 games worth of Greg Cunningham make us much weaker than a team who finished quite a bit away from the play offs having conceded 63 games. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Richard Oakley said:

I'd rather suffer through tour players mistakes and wait for the bell to go off in Mowbray's head about playing players out of position and in formations they can't play than bring in loans.

I think most of us are waiting for Bell to go off aren't we?!

• Like 1

Is it me or is there hardly any (incoming) transfer activity in the Championship full stop?

I suspect many clubs are looking at dire finances, with normality still some way off - Rovers included.

Therefore perhaps we might not see (m)any further additions?

If that is the case I am relaxed. We are all in the same boat, though we have our (great) young players in the mix, plus I’d rather we didn’t risk doing a Bolton / Wigan.

Just a hunch?

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I think most people have raised doubts not about our opponents strength but about our weaknesses. @Ewood Ace was bang on about his analysis about our defence and if you asked people at the end of last season if they would be happy starting the season without any new defenders, no one would have said yes so the worries and criticism are fair.

Bournemouth are a good side and obviously will be expected to finish higher than us but ultimately we cant do anything about their squad.

It will be interesting to see if any of King, Wilson or Brooks play, hopefully not but they have quite a few players outside of that of very good quality at this level. Archer is not a Championship standard goalkeeper and I presume they will play Travers who is currently with the Irish squad.

Pointing out examples of other teams who have struggled to strengthen too doesnt justify our inability to do so. We need to improve quite a bit on last season to finish in the top 6 and seriously threaten promotion. Thats the aim. Even if Kaminski is an upgrade on Walton, which wont be hard but we dont know for sure until he plays, the losses of Adarabioyo, Downing and to a lesser extent Graham and 7 games worth of Greg Cunningham make us much weaker than a team who finished quite a bit away from the play offs having conceded 63 games. 

I'd argue we've stood still, which is why it's so frustrating. 

Walton was horrendous last year, Kamiski HAS to be an upgrade. Adarabioyo is a fantastic footballer, but he's not a fantastic defender. His loss won't be felt as keenly as many think.

IF Holtby can keep fit and Mowbray allows him to play in that deeper role, he'll be more effective than Downing. Brereton looking somewhat like a footballer post lockdown is a major boost too.

6 minutes ago, JPTSwindon said:

Is it me or is there hardly any (incoming) transfer activity in the Championship full stop?

I suspect many clubs are looking at dire finances, with normality still some way off - Rovers included.

If that is the case I am relaxed. We are all in the same boat, though we have our (great) young players in the mix, plus I’d rather we didn’t risk doing a Bolton / Wigan.

Just a hunch?

There have been 89 transfers so far, so quite a few transfers. It was true a month ago when people were demanding calm as the market hadnt really got going but now many teams have been busy before the season begins.

Birmingham have signed 6, including a couple from Spain and a couple of players Karanka has worked with before, Brentford have signed Toney and Goode, Bristol City have signed Chris Martin and Joe Williams, (and are close to Mawson on loan) Cardiff have a couple including Kieffer Moore, Coventry have got 8 using their very technical scouting network, Derby have signed Groningens captain and re-loaned Clarke, and got Marshall in net, Norwich have signed some interesting signings, Forest have brought in some real experience in Lyle Taylor, Luke Freeman, Jack Colback and Tyler Blackett, as have Stoke with Steven Fletcher, Morgan Fox, Jon Obi Mikel and James Chester, QPR and Sheffield Wednesday have been busy, Swansea have done some good business, and Wycombe have bought in a few including Tafazoli and Horgan, very much scraping the barrel.

No one is suggesting risking our financial structure but we certainly need to fix certain positions. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, JPTSwindon said:

Just a hunch?

I've resigned myself to the fact we won't be bringing many players in this offseason, but we desperately, DESPERATELY need a LB at minimum.

• Like 1

Just now, Exiled_Rover said:

I'd argue we've stood still, which is why it's so frustrating. 

Walton was horrendous last year, Kamiski HAS to be an upgrade. Adarabioyo is a fantastic footballer, but he's not a fantastic defender. His loss won't be felt as keenly as many think.

IF Holtby can keep fit and Mowbray allows him to play in that deeper role, he'll be more effective than Downing. Brereton looking somewhat like a footballer post lockdown is a major boost too.

I would agree that it is Adarabioyo's on ball ability that sets him apart but he is still a very competent defender at this level, and a better one than Williams and co. We will do well to get someone even solely based on his defensive ability on a limited budget.

That is a big but regarding Holtby's fitness. Downing is a big loss based on last season although we have possibly dithered too long to get him back because he will be well off fitness wise. I also wonder how we fit Dack back in.

With Brereton, it is all promise compared against terribly low standards, although I agree that there was a slight improvement. I am not convinced that he offers a goal threat. Neat finish in the Reading dead rubber, but he missed an open net last weekend, he slipped on his arse after getting the ball stuck under his feet when given a one on one v Bristol City, I know he got a couple of nice finishes v a second string Blackpool in a friendly, and I know that his running with the ball has shown a bit of promise, but we need a player who is contributing towards a side chasing the top 6 and until there is an end product he will always be judged unfavourably. We also lack that option of bringing Graham into the mix.

I think our squad is weaker at the moment but we will I am sure sign some new players. But I am unconvinced in Mowbrays ability to fix the defence, and also I just wish we could appreciate the worth of a good start, alas it shall never be the case it seems under Venkys.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, LDRover said:

Euro scouting network in place, cash available, footballing CH needed to fit in with the 'philosophy'....and we're scratching around for an old boy clogger on loan from Norwich a week before the season starts.

It's laughable.

We really are incompetent in the transfer market.  How long have we needed a CH? how many windows have come and gone? and we have managed one in on loan.

• Like 7