BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

39 minutes ago, bigbrandjohn said:

One thing you can be guaranteed. If we wait until the last minute, we will pay through the nose for the privilege. 

We aren't paying for anything by the looks of things.

This week all the top 4 youths will decide where they go on loan, Tony's tombola will undoubtedly come up with some Toisin type for another short term....sticking plasters with old night nurse mowbray.

1 hour ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I'd argue we've stood still, which is why it's so frustrating. 

Walton was horrendous last year, Kamiski HAS to be an upgrade. Adarabioyo is a fantastic footballer, but he's not a fantastic defender. His loss won't be felt as keenly as many think.

IF Holtby can keep fit and Mowbray allows him to play in that deeper role, he'll be more effective than Downing. Brereton looking somewhat like a footballer post lockdown is a major boost too.

Disagree with you though well argued. And agree about Kaminski having to be an upgrade. (So would a corpse but still...) 

I think we have a long way to go to stand still and agree with @roversfan99 that Tosin is an upgrade defensively on Williams and co. Also his improved ball retention for the team also massively helped the team as it also contributed to our improved defensive performance. (The opposition can't score without the ball.) Also 7 games with Cunningham is better than none. 

Downing I feel is a huge miss. When he played wide left he gave us a width we never had any other time, he still managed to be our second best left back of the season and was good in cm as well. So a big miss from all three positions before we even get to relying on the fitness of Holtby. 

Graham is a miss as he still was our best target man even with age creeping up on him. And Samuel also added a few goals that may be missed too. Add in we really need a second keeper - we somehow are in a worse position than Leuts as second keeper - and you see we have a long way to go to stand still. And that's for me the frustration, we're not even standing still and treading water, we are getting weaker. 

In fairness one step forward we have got from last season is JRC who I think will have a breakout season. I think he is a quality player and versatile too which is much needed in our squad. He's definitely a step forward and a positive but it feels like 2 steps forward (him and Kaminski) but 4 steps backwards. 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Atko's Engine said:

You can't honestly believe that to be the case surely??

Of course it was tounge in cheek, but the more I think about it I'm not sure.

As long as we're plodding along 5 or 6 points off the play offs it seems like most of the match going fans will be happy, if we won the first 6 or 7 games or so before drifting off into Mowbray land of strange form there might be a bit more discontent when fans are allowed back in.

It's been a weird set up here for the past 10 years, and hasn't really changed under Mowbray apart from him still having the goodwill of a third division promotion.

Edited by MarkBRFC

9 hours ago, JPTSwindon said:

Is it me or is there hardly any (incoming) transfer activity in the Championship full stop?

I suspect many clubs are looking at dire finances, with normality still some way off - Rovers included.

Therefore perhaps we might not see (m)any further additions?

If that is the case I am relaxed. We are all in the same boat, though we have our (great) young players in the mix, plus I’d rather we didn’t risk doing a Bolton / Wigan.

Just a hunch?

Lack of gate money and match day commercial will be hurting the majority of clubs far harder than Rovers.

Clubs in wealthier areas with smaller gates will earn more match day income than Rovers so Covid is levelling the playing field far more in our favour (contradiction in terms) than FFP ever would.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Wish they would separate the women’s teams news from the men’s team news, keep signing on to see rovers complete deal of villa captain only to see it’s the women’s team- who seem to be doing a lot of business. Rubbing salt into the wounds haha

This catches me out on the BBC all the time.

BREAKING NEWS: Chelsea sign De-Bruyne in club record deal.

*opens article*

Chelsea have signed Mary De-Bruyne from Doncaster Belles...

FFS.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

This catches me out on the BBC all the time.

BREAKING NEWS: Chelsea sign De-Bruyne in club record deal.

*opens article*

Chelsea have signed Mary De-Bruyne from Doncaster Belles...

FFS.

That's because it would be "sexist" not to have the men and women's games on level pegging. 

the more time that passes the more I believe that Kipre was never realistic and we leaked his name to the Telegraph when we knew WBA were in to get some free positive PR.

Predictably nothing else has happened and the season is upon us but at least we 'tried' to get Kipre. Wasn't our fault WBA came in.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, JHRover said:

I agree. So why is my season ticket so much more expensive than one for the ladies? Isn't that sexist?

No. If women paid less than men for a first team ticket that would be sexist. You are paying the market rate for the level of football you are watching. (Debatable with Rovers mind).

Interestingly, as you mention sexism, I read recently that England’s international players now earn the same basic pay regardless of sex. Which suggests the men’s game must now be subsidising the women’s as the economics don’t work otherwise. (Happy to be proven wrong).

The whole gender gap in football is based on a false premise: they are all doing the same job. Conference League men don’t get paid the same as Premier League men though. ?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/09/03/england-women-paid-equal-match-fees-bonuses-male-counterparts/

Sorry.

Back to non-existent transfers...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, andyroversmad said:

Mowbray has had 3+ years to improve our league position and he has succeeded consistently.

He should of been shown the door for the shambles of a defence and the money wasted on Brereton and Gallagher. 

I normally hate it when people do this but... corrected it for you ?.

How can you sack a coach who has taken the basket case that we were post-Coyle and improved every single season? Yes our defence is bad now but is it even bad compared to teams at our current level? Brereton and Gallagher have a lot to do this season to justify the outlay on them, but if Brereton continues with his excellent post-lockdown and pre-season form then we might just have a very good player on our books. 

Young players are coming through and Dack, Armstrong and Nyambe are playing at a very high level under TM. If we can get a good LB in and some quality for CB then we’ll have a successful season I think. I’ll be judging TM if we don’t improve on last season and make a good attempt to place in the top 6. i think the future is looking good ?

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, The Hypnotic said:

Young players are coming through and Dack, Armstrong and Nyambe are playing at a very high level under TM. If we can get a good LB in and some quality for CB then we’ll have a successful season I think. I’ll be judging TM if we don’t improve on last season and make a good attempt to place in the top 6. i think the future is looking good ?

The key word in your sentence is "if"! We can always judge him after one more season but then that = Infinity eventually.

• Like 1

Just now, 47er said:

The key word in your sentence is "if"! We can always judge him after one more season but then that = Infinity eventually.

If is a big word tbf.

I still think we’ve got no cause to sack TM so far but IF we don’t continue to improve (ie a higher league position and sustained playoff push) then I’d be asking questions at the end of the season.

It is imperative that we get some defenders in, and IF we fail to strengthen defensively then I think we’ll struggle and look back on this season as a real wasted opportunity. 

11 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

There have been 89 transfers so far

Thats is less than 4 per team on average 

Bournemouth and Preston have made no signings so far

Barnsley, Blackburn Rovers, Middlesbrough have made just 1 signing

Brentford, Bristol City, Cardiff, Huddersfield, Reading, Watford have made 2 signings

Stoke have made 3 signings 

Derby, Luton, Millwall has made 4 signings

QPR, Sheffield Wednesday, Swansea have made 5 signings

Birmingham, Forest, Rotherham, Wycombe has make 6 signings

Coventry has made 8 signings

Norwich has made 11 signings

All info from here. https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/championship/transfers/wettbewerb/GB2

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Brentford, Bristol City, Cardiff, Huddersfield, Reading, Watford have made 2 signings

All info from here. https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/championship/transfers/wettbewerb/GB2

Most of the clubs buying players have either:

a.) Sold players for big money last season or in the current window, or

b.) Have been promoted to the Championship and need to make signings to compete, or

c.) Have been relegated to the Championship and still have Sky money to spend

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

It's interesting to see that a lot of the clubs who made 5 signings plus exited the League Cup in the first round. You can shake things up too much.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Forest should be a real threat if Lyle kicks on and does well, which I imagine he will. Hard to see past Norwich winning the league though.

Us at present? Mid/lower half. Mid if the keeper turns out OK, huge problem if not.

I agree can’t see us anywhere near promotion. The real point of interest for us is the possibility of a change in personnel. Williams and mulgrew will leave and I think there appears to be some evidence of less game time for Bennett. There is the emergence of a group of talented young players from the academy who I believe either through choice or necessity Mowbray will use. So for me the excitement of this season is not in a promotion challenge but starting to see the benefits from the a academy.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Forest should be a real threat if Lyle kicks on and does well, which I imagine he will. Hard to see past Norwich winning the league though.

Us at present? Mid/lower half. Mid if the keeper turns out OK, huge problem if not.

I think thats a very unfair assessment, barring any serious injuries to key players such as Dack last season i reckon we would have been in the playoffs, after yesterdays performance at leicester the future looks very promising, try to be optimistic people.

• Like 1