BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

1 hour ago, The Hypnotic said:

If is a big word tbf.

I still think we’ve got no cause to sack TM so far but IF we don’t continue to improve (ie a higher league position and sustained playoff push) then I’d be asking questions at the end of the season.

It is imperative that we get some defenders in, and IF we fail to strengthen defensively then I think we’ll struggle and look back on this season as a real wasted opportunity. 

Thank you Rudyard Kipling.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Miker said:

Most of the clubs buying players have either:

a.) Sold players for big money last season or in the current window, or

b.) Have been promoted to the Championship and need to make signings to compete, or

c.) Have been relegated to the Championship and still have Sky money to spend

exactly. 

Plus it highlights that some clubs are struggling to bring players in at the minute to current club demands, players wages demands or agents demand. the Market will drop in terms of prices now for a few weeks before going back up like normal transfer windows. 

Norwich asking price for Lewis have drop by 4 or 5 million from the start of window according to media reports allowing Newcastle able to buy him. 

27 minutes ago, Boroblue said:

I agree can’t see us anywhere near promotion. The real point of interest for us is the possibility of a change in personnel. Williams and mulgrew will leave and I think there appears to be some evidence of less game time for Bennett. There is the emergence of a group of talented young players from the academy who I believe either through choice or necessity Mowbray will use. So for me the excitement of this season is not in a promotion challenge but starting to see the benefits from the a academy.

This is what we have to focus on now but i just hope he gives them a style of football designed to get the best out of their bold youthfulness.

37 minutes ago, Boroblue said:

I agree can’t see us anywhere near promotion. The real point of interest for us is the possibility of a change in personnel. Williams and mulgrew will leave and I think there appears to be some evidence of less game time for Bennett. There is the emergence of a group of talented young players from the academy who I believe either through choice or necessity Mowbray will use. So for me the excitement of this season is not in a promotion challenge but starting to see the benefits from the a academy.

That would be great if we weren't in the third year of our FFP cycle. Which will mean a bunch of them being sold off, with clubs knowing we need to sell.

Personally I feel confident we will be playoff contenders if we can sort the defence out this summer. How likely we are to do that is the big question.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JacknOry said:

We have never been in the playoffs even with Dack. We concede far too many goals.

Maybe i should reiterate what i meant, had Dack NOT have been injured along with Evans i feel sure we would have made the play offs. He was out what half the season.

2 minutes ago, EgyptianPete said:

Maybe i should reiterate what i meant, had Dack NOT have been injured along with Evans i feel sure we would have made the play offs. He was out what half the season.

To be honest the most impactful loss we had imo was Cunningham. Armstrong made up for Dack, and our midfield did okay without Evans. But our defence was shocking.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, EgyptianPete said:

I don't agree with that. Whatever Dack offers in midfield could never make up for our defensive failings. As for Evans he seldom has a run of good games but he is injured a lot.

I’m sure it’s been mentioned but Callum Wilson joining Newcastle for £20m. With that being said you’d expect Josh King to go for a similar amount, might give us a bit of cash to play with for the back end of the window. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Stuart said:

We do have a good young crop coming through. Just got to keep them together for the next three years and get two experienced loanees each season.

You and I both know that won't happen. The further down the food chain you fall the sooner the big clubs sign up your promising young players. The days of bringing the likes of Duff and Dunn through and holding on to them for a few seasons are long gone. Any of our kids impress this season in the first team and they'll be gone next Summer.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Tugay-is-God said:

So they "pretend both game are equal" by consistently covering one more than the other... 

Their coverage of the female game is certainly disproportionate to its actual popularity and status, yup. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Amo said:

Their coverage of the female game is certainly disproportionate to its actual popularity and status, yup. 

I watched the womens community shield.  The football was garbage.  They need smaller pitches and goals. 

England women suffer from the same problem the men suffered from for years.  A captain who is past it and is a liability to the team.  

They are lucky to be given such a platform after 20 years that the mens game took 150 years to attain.  Equality gone mad

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The Hypnotic said:

I normally hate it when people do this but... corrected it for you ?.

How can you sack a coach who has taken the basket case that we were post-Coyle and improved every single season? Yes our defence is bad now but is it even bad compared to teams at our current level? Brereton and Gallagher have a lot to do this season to justify the outlay on them, but if Brereton continues with his excellent post-lockdown and pre-season form then we might just have a very good player on our books. 

Young players are coming through and Dack, Armstrong and Nyambe are playing at a very high level under TM. If we can get a good LB in and some quality for CB then we’ll have a successful season I think. I’ll be judging TM if we don’t improve on last season and make a good attempt to place in the top 6. i think the future is looking good ?

"if Brereton continues with his excellent post-lockdown and pre-season form then we might just have a very good player on our books."

Surely this is as hyperbolic a statement as anyone could possibly make?! Or a demonstration how low the benchmark is, to describe his recent form as excellent. Or to suggest that if he continues and not massively improves, then we have a very good player on our books.

There is undoubtedly more energy, more enthusiasm and more involvement, and a tidy goal in the dead rubber v Reading. Otherwise, there was him trying to round the keeper v Bristol City and falling over his own feet when gifted a chance. Then he didnt threaten v Wigan. Then he got petulantly sent off at Barnsley. Then pre season, not that it is the best indicator as he scored 2 last pre season, but he scored 2 nice goals v Blackpools second string, either side of which he missed a penalty in one friendly that he spent all half offside, and in the competitive match, he missed an open net.

Until he starts scoring a couple of goals in meaningful fixtures and making a proper contribution, it is impossible IMO to start getting overly excited. We need him to contribute regularly for a team chasing promotion.

Mowbray has done a good job overall but there is constantly this if statement, if he fixes the defence, we can do this and that. And it never happens and is never prioritised. I dont feel like, although id love to be wrong, that we are anything close to a promotion chasing squad, which has become the expectation. We cant afford to underestimate the priority of a good start too, we already struggle to keep the pace with the top 6 without chasing a deficit as we always have to.

He made the same mistake in previous jobs. Including his last one where he had to walk away for not fixing the defence. I fear that whilst I appreciate the job he has done so far, there will constantly be the same ifs and buts and it will become stagnant. If we dont go up this season, I suspect that due to contractual reasons, a few of our key players may push to move on.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

You and I both know that won't happen. The further down the food chain you fall the sooner the big clubs sign up your promising young players. The days of bringing the likes of Duff and Dunn through and holding on to them for a few seasons are long gone. Any of our kids impress this season in the first team and they'll be gone next Summer.

Sadly very true.

And even worse they tend to go at the end of their contracts and we only get a tribunal fee because of a lack of foresight and ambition.

Luckily we have a vociferous enough element of the fanbase who always blame the departing player - usually greedy or having a “bad attitude“ - thereby giving the management license to repeat the same mistakes with impunity.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Thats is less than 4 per team on average 

Bournemouth and Preston have made no signings so far

Barnsley, Blackburn Rovers, Middlesbrough have made just 1 signing

Brentford, Bristol City, Cardiff, Huddersfield, Reading, Watford have made 2 signings

Stoke have made 3 signings 

Derby, Luton, Millwall has made 4 signings

QPR, Sheffield Wednesday, Swansea have made 5 signings

Birmingham, Forest, Rotherham, Wycombe has make 6 signings

Coventry has made 8 signings

Norwich has made 11 signings

All info from here. https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/championship/transfers/wettbewerb/GB2

Yes, and we are very much behind the average, and we had plenty of gaps that needed filling. We saw both of our senior goalkeepers go, we had none. We saw one of only 2 competent centre backs we had leave the club. We had constant issues at left back last season after Cunningham got injured and had to put a right footed winger there for quite a few games. We saw possibly our best midfielder from last season leave the club. We saw a striker who was always involved in our squads leave, as well as one who was very average. Yet, signings seem to be a want, rather than a need.

Preston have little money and their fans are not happy either at the lack of recruitment. Warnock has been constantly moaning at the fact that Boro arent getting deals over the line. And Bournemouth are reliant on big money sales although they have plenty of Championship standard players (and higher) and indeed even assuming Wilson and King remain unavailable until sold, they have a striker they spent 20m on who they will use. Most teams that you would expect to be up aiming for the same part of the table than us have improved more than us.

Ultimately, I dont think we will ever be proactive under Venkys in terms of recruitment, we will ever appreciate the benefit of a good start, and will always be unnecessarily handicapping ourselves.

The crux of the matter is that not one person would have been happy going into this season with the same defence (bar Adarabioyo of course) that we finished last season with, and the one that let in 63 goals, yet there is now a lot of revisionism and a lot of excuses. Ultimately, we always seem to be behind the curve and susceptible to these reasons more than most.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

"if Brereton continues with his excellent post-lockdown and pre-season form then we might just have a very good player on our books."

Surely this is as hyperbolic a statement as anyone could possibly make?! Or a demonstration how low the benchmark is, to describe his recent form as excellent. Or to suggest that if he continues and not massively improves, then we have a very good player on our books.

There is undoubtedly more energy, more enthusiasm and more involvement, and a tidy goal in the dead rubber v Reading. Otherwise, there was him trying to round the keeper v Bristol City and falling over his own feet when gifted a chance. Then he didnt threaten v Wigan. Then he got petulantly sent off at Barnsley. Then pre season, not that it is the best indicator as he scored 2 last pre season, but he scored 2 nice goals v Blackpools second string, either side of which he missed a penalty in one friendly that he spent all half offside, and in the competitive match, he missed an open net.

Until he starts scoring a couple of goals in meaningful fixtures and making a proper contribution, it is impossible IMO to start getting overly excited. We need him to contribute regularly for a team chasing promotion.

Mowbray has done a good job overall but there is constantly this if statement, if he fixes the defence, we can do this and that. And it never happens and is never prioritised. I dont feel like, although id love to be wrong, that we are anything close to a promotion chasing squad, which has become the expectation. We cant afford to underestimate the priority of a good start too, we already struggle to keep the pace with the top 6 without chasing a deficit as we always have to.

He made the same mistake in previous jobs. Including his last one where he had to walk away for not fixing the defence. I fear that whilst I appreciate the job he has done so far, there will constantly be the same ifs and buts and it will become stagnant. If we dont go up this season, I suspect that due to contractual reasons, a few of our key players may push to move on.

I don’t understand where you’re getting hyperbole from the quoted section? BB scored a couple of good goals pre-season and looked very lively without scoring when I saw him in a couple of matches towards the end of last season, so I think it’s fair to say that there’s encouraging signs of a player beginning to show the form that would justify his transfer fee. Don’t forget he’s still very young, and I’d rather edge towards encouragement and optimism when it comes to our young players. I’m certainly not “overly excited” which I think is reflected in the tone of my post. 

I agree that we’re always looking for an extra 10-20% from TM, but isn’t that life as a supporter of a big town club? If we had Pep, Mourinho or even Bielsa (or had resources to match) I’d be looking for much more impact from our team. As it is we’ve got tinpot owners and a budget manager who does his best. We “wee with the willy we’ve got”. Every season we get better (granted our defence seems to stagnate) and at this stage that’s good enough for me. We weren’t too far away from the playoffs last season, and while I’d never suggest that we’re in the mix for automatic promotion, I feel that with some defensive additions we’ll be in the top 6 by May. 

I agree that we’ll be looking at transfer requests if we don’t go up this season (and possibly before) but in my opinion TM has earned the chance at another year to keep on with the excellent work he’s put in so far. 

Edited by The Hypnotic
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Thats is less than 4 per team on average 

Bournemouth and Preston have made no signings so far

Barnsley, Blackburn Rovers, Middlesbrough have made just 1 signing

Brentford, Bristol City, Cardiff, Huddersfield, Reading, Watford have made 2 signings

Stoke have made 3 signings 

Derby, Luton, Millwall has made 4 signings

QPR, Sheffield Wednesday, Swansea have made 5 signings

Birmingham, Forest, Rotherham, Wycombe has make 6 signings

Coventry has made 8 signings

Norwich has made 11 signings

All info from here. https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/championship/transfers/wettbewerb/GB2

I have a mate who supports Bolton , who tells me Morsey (Wigan) is going to Middlesboro...

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

yes, and we are very much behind the average, and we had plenty of gaps that needed filling. We saw both of our senior goalkeepers go, we had none. We saw one of only 2 competent centre backs we had leave the club. We had constant issues at left back last season after Cunningham got injured and had to put a right footed winger there for quite a few games. We saw possibly our best midfielder from last season leave the club. We saw a striker who was always involved in our squads leave, as well as one who was very average. Yet, signings seem to be a want, rather than a need.

Preston have little money and their fans are not happy either at the lack of recruitment. Warnock has been constantly moaning at the fact that Boro arent getting deals over the line. And Bournemouth are reliant on big money sales although they have plenty of Championship standard players (and higher) and indeed even assuming Wilson and King remain unavailable until sold, they have a striker they spent 20m on who they will use. Most teams that you would expect to be up aiming for the same part of the table than us have improved more than us.

well you can look at that way or look at other way that others posters have highlighted that Norwich are spending due to PL cash, or 3 promoted teams strengthen their squad. And that cover over 3rd of the signings we have seen so far. 

Downing best midfielder? what about Travis and Evans partnership which results in wins mainly when they played together I believe,

On Graham and Samuel leaving which you supported by the way as I did as we have players coming through who can fill their roles and we have moved Armstrong from a wide role to his best and natural position now and where he has performed his best for us. Using his pace and finishing ability now. Expecting 20 goals this season from him. 

Bournemouth squad ain't as good as you claim. Its very thin and with them losing 3 of their best players yet to come in Wilson signing for Newcastle probably signing for them tomorrow then King and Brooks will want out. Does Sam Sturridge and Dominic Solanke worry you? who going to play in goal? Archer or Travers? do you rate them

Warnock has moaned about the players asking fee and wages demands being unrealistic. 

Have Brentford improve the squad if Watkins and Benrahma leave with only Toney coming in? Swansea lost Brewster, have he been replace? Cardiff have signed Moore is that improvement(unsure myself), Derby need players as yesterday proved and losing their 2 full backs in Boyle and Lowe to Sheffield United, 

Preston haven't sign anyone yet

Watford are unknown and depending on what squad they have been end of the window. Bournemouth needs signings on a very thin squad but need money in and wages out of the club

Forest, Millwall and Norwich have improved granted. 

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

we will ever appreciate the benefit of a good start,

well I gave a few stats on last season starts the well a good start can still mean going down in Charlton case or Brentford case who were 17th after 11 games and finished 3rd. Plus I also gave example of 3 teams who lost their 1st game but still top 6 and and vice versa with 3 teams winning their 1st game and finish top 6. We would all like a win1st game ideally 

Just now, The Hypnotic said:

I don’t understand where you’re getting hyperbole from the quoted section? BB scored a couple of good goals pre-season and looked very lively without scoring when I saw him in a couple of matches towards the end of last season, so I think it’s fair to say that there’s encouraging signs of a player beginning to show the form that would justify his transfer fee. Don’t forget he’s still very young, and I’d rather edge towards encouragement and optimism when it comes to our young players. I’m certainly not “overly excited” which I think is reflected in the tone of my post. 

I agree that we’re always looking for an extra 10-20% from TM, but isn’t that life as a supporter of a big town club? If we had Pep, Mourinho or even Bielsa (or had resources to match) I’d be looking for much more impact from our team. As it is we’ve got tinpot owners and a budget manager who does his best. We “wee with the willy we’ve got”. Every season we get better (granted our defence seems to stagnate) and at this stage that’s good enough for me. We weren’t too far away from the playoffs last season, and while I’d never suggest that we’re in the mix for automatic promotion, I feel that with some defensive additions we’ll be in the top 6 by the end of next season. 

I agree that we’ll be looking at transfer requests if we don’t go up this season (and possibly before) but in my opinion TM has earned the chance at another year to keep on with the excellent work he’s put in so far. 

"Encouraging signs of a player beginning to show the form that would justify his transfer fee" is the phrase that I would take issue with and suggest an element of hyperbole in.

Would love for him to justify his fee but he will need to start scoring a few goals in competitive games for him to even show signs of starting to justify any fee.

I dont think messages on here involve encouraging or discouraging the players, I just personally thing that whilst I totally appreciate having also seen slithers of positive shoots, a couple of goals in a friendly, the goal v Reading and much more positive running with the ball, he will have to start doing something constructive in front of goal in competitive games before he even begins to ask the question of whether he is indeed starting to threaten to justify the fee, or even play a considerable part in a team chasing promotion.

We were 7 points and 5 teams off last season, conceded far too many goals and have a weaker squad as things stand.

Of course though and as you touch on, a few real quality defensive recruits and the picture starts to change, we have 2 natural goalscorers which gives you half a chance. But I cant say that I have that the current manager can bring those in and fix this area of the team, for all of the goodwill I have towards him overall, and I also am not comfortable with the consistent dilly dallying that we always do in the transfer window.