BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

No longer a results based job, give him another year. No probs, he will give himself that and more.

Just watching Wycombe. That's Gareth out of contention for any future Ewood job, he'd never pass the TM interview. FFS Gareth has a leather jacket, long hair, and tight jeans. Maybe even ripped.

Wrong thread but there's nowt happening here anyway!

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 1

The fact of the matter is that if you start poorly, you have to accumulate more points in the remaining games to meet your objective. Say it takes 75 points to get into the play offs. Basic maths, get 15 from your first 6 and you need 60 from the remaining 40 games, only get 5 and you need 70.

A bad start is not terminal and a good start wont guarantee that you achieve your objectives. But it is important in the main because we already fail to achieve our objectives in terms of accumulating the amount of points we need, so getting plenty on the board early on is a big boost. 

There will always be exceptions but Charlton got relegated despite that fast start, not because of it. 

Would anyone have been happy going into the season with the defenders we have? No.

• Like 6

Just now, roversfan99 said:

"Encouraging signs of a player beginning to show the form that would justify his transfer fee" is the phrase that I would take issue with and suggest an element of hyperbole in.

Would love for him to justify his fee but he will need to start scoring a few goals in competitive games for him to even show signs of starting to justify any fee.

I dont think messages on here involve encouraging or discouraging the players, I just personally thing that whilst I totally appreciate having also seen slithers of positive shoots, a couple of goals in a friendly, the goal v Reading and much more positive running with the ball, he will have to start doing something constructive in front of goal in competitive games before he even begins to ask the question of whether he is indeed starting to threaten to justify the fee, or even play a considerable part in a team chasing promotion.

We were 7 points and 5 teams off last season, conceded far too many goals and have a weaker squad as things stand.

Of course though and as you touch on, a few real quality defensive recruits and the picture starts to change, we have 2 natural goalscorers which gives you half a chance. But I cant say that I have that the current manager can bring those in and fix this area of the team, for all of the goodwill I have towards him overall, and I also am not comfortable with the consistent dilly dallying that we always do in the transfer window.

Well that quote was from a different post? And in any case it’s not engaging in hyperbole to suggest that the early signs of an upturn in form are being shown by BB.

I guess the huge fee distorts matters somewhat but young English players with potential cost £££. I hope it’s not hyperbolic to suggest that BB has displayed some excellent movement and running with the ball recently. If he can add 10 goals this season I think we’d be looking at a player worth a considerable amount of money.

I think our squad will be much stronger this season. Like you say a couple of defensive additions to a young squad will be a huge boon. Our young players will all be better with another year of experience and development behind them which will make a big difference. The ball is in TM and the Venkys court now, we need those defensive reinforcements and I just hope that kaminski is an improvement on Walton.

I suppose we’ll just have to agree to disagree here as we’re just restating our own opinions. Come the end of the season one of us will have the gloating rights at least, how about that?

? 

Just now, The Hypnotic said:

Well that quote was from a different post? And in any case it’s not engaging in hyperbole to suggest that the early signs of an upturn in form are being shown by BB.

I guess the huge fee distorts matters somewhat but young English players with potential cost £££. I hope it’s not hyperbolic to suggest that BB has displayed some excellent movement and running with the ball recently. If he can add 10 goals this season I think we’d be looking at a player worth a considerable amount of money.

I think our squad will be much stronger this season. Like you say a couple of defensive additions to a young squad will be a huge boon. Our young players will all be better with another year of experience and development behind them which will make a big difference. The ball is in TM and the Venkys court now, we need those defensive reinforcements and I just hope that kaminski is an improvement on Walton.

I suppose we’ll just have to agree to disagree here as we’re just restating our own opinions. Come the end of the season one of us will have the gloating rights at least, how about that?

?

Haha I think that it is is a big if to see him get 10 goals but I would love to see you be right because it would be in both of our best interests! Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Would anyone have been happy going into the season with the defenders we have? No.

but has anyone on here said they would? no. But we can't be over paying for players tho. We need players who fit into our wage structure and asking price is within our budget. 

2 hours ago, EgyptianPete said:

Maybe i should reiterate what i meant, had Dack NOT have been injured along with Evans i feel sure we would have made the play offs. He was out what half the season.

Why would we? Armstrong upped his games to cover the lost goals - we still conceded far too many. Dack is a fantastic player at this level but until we sort out the defence, we will never be playoff material.

• Like 6

Only two ways of sorting defensive issues out. Either bring in better players, or make changes to the coaching staff.

If you can't or won't sign better players, then we have to start looking at Plan B to address it which is new coaches/manager.

What isnt acceptable under any circumstances is just sticking with the same old on and off the pitch and hoping it changes. But that's exactly what we look like doing.

• Like 5

I'm still trying to figure out we will set up when Dack is fit. I'm assuming we are going to stick with the 4-3-3.

Could go something like this

Kaminski

Nyambe         Lenihan        Someone       Hopefully Not Bell

Travis         Holtby        Rothwell

Dack

Brereton                Armstrong

when we defend Dack pushes up and presses with the front 2 so we defend in that 4-3-3 shape but in possession Dack drops back into the hole getting inbetween the lines and arriving late in the box. The front 2 can drift wide and try to get in behind. Width primarily coming from the full backs but that's nothing new with Mowbray, we would need someone better than Bell whatever path we go down.

Then you have Evans  (or Johnson) if you want to make that midfield a bit more balanced. Gallagher if you want to play with a conventional striker.

Or maybe we are planning on Dack not being back for another couple of months still and we go back to a 4-2-3-1 / 4-4-1-1.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Only two ways of sorting defensive issues out. Either bring in better players, or make changes to the coaching staff.

If you can't or won't sign better players, then we have to start looking at Plan B to address it which is new coaches/manager.

What isnt acceptable under any circumstances is just sticking with the same old on and off the pitch and hoping it changes. But that's exactly what we look like doing.

Part of the reason i reckon  he changed style of play last season was to compensate for the weak defense. Cheaper than trying to solve it so just switch styles to try and keep possession more and keep the ball off the opposition to limit their chances etc. Great when you have the players to do it and it works but really for us it didn't over the full course of the season.

Sticking with that when you've got all these bright bold but young and inexperienced players transitioning into the squad will imo not get the best out of them. Make the most of their youth and energy and get a higher tempo style rather than trying to get them sitting back tip tapping sideways and being caught out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Hypnotic said:

?

I'll stick my neck now, we won't get anything like our money back for Big Ben. People say " We need to play him in his best position ". What is his best position ? Does anybody actually know ? Does the lad know himself ?  He's not a handful in advanced midfield like Dack. He likes to run with the ball out wide but he's not a winger. He can't play with his back to goal as a target man. He's not a predator like Armstrong. I'm still lost as to what the plan was when we signed him.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Butty said:

I’m sure it’s been mentioned but Callum Wilson joining Newcastle for £20m. With that being said you’d expect Josh King to go for a similar amount, might give us a bit of cash to play with for the back end of the window. 

At this rate he's either not leaving, or he's leaving on Deadline Day.

Don't expect the King cash this window - if at all.

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

You and I both know that won't happen. The further down the food chain you fall the sooner the big clubs sign up your promising young players. The days of bringing the likes of Duff and Dunn through and holding on to them for a few seasons are long gone. Any of our kids impress this season in the first team and they'll be gone next Summer.

Fortunately we're at a level where we don't need the next Duff or Dunn. The Academy producing players like Travis, JRC (who were both rejects of bigger academies), Nyambe, Buckley and Wharton, is enough to keep you competitive in this division. 

They'll also keep you financially viable, if you feel the need to cash in on them. 

2 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Fortunately we're at a level where we don't need the next Duff or Dunn. The Academy producing players like Travis, JRC (who were both rejects of bigger academies), Nyambe, Buckley and Wharton, is enough to keep you competitive in this division. 

They'll also keep you financially viable, if you feel the need to cash in on them. 

That's great if you can hold on to them.

54 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'll stick my neck now, we won't get anything like our money back for Big Ben. People say " We need to play him in his best position ". What is his best position ? Does anybody actually know ? Does the lad know himself ?  He's not a handful in advanced midfield like Dack. He likes to run with the ball out wide but he's not a winger. He can't play with his back to goal as a target man. He's not a predator like Armstrong. I'm still lost as to what the plan was when we signed him.

the big mistake is shuffling him around,give him one position and see how he does though i i also don`t know what you can do with him,rothwell is the same,the biggest **** up of all though was signing both of them without knowing what they offer,the recruitment side of our club is a joke tbh,it looks to me like they don`t have any active scouts and agents are sending tony videos from which he decides on who to sign

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

You and I both know that won't happen. The further down the food chain you fall the sooner the big clubs sign up your promising young players. The days of bringing the likes of Duff and Dunn through and holding on to them for a few seasons are long gone. Any of our kids impress this season in the first team and they'll be gone next Summer.

Well, it's also true that the further down you are, the less attention your players get from teams higher up. It's already exceedingly rare for PL teams to buy from the Championship. The only ones buying our players currently are newly promoted and demoted teams, and they still have a massive, global range of choice in front of them besides players like Armstrong, Dack, Travis or whomever. 

Noticed that Lindsay wasnt even in the extended squad in their latest friendly, he is so far out of the picture. Would guess maybe he is in talks with someone but obviously with no new deals in the pipeline, that may well be someone else.

Not saying that I would sign him but of course he has been linked through the Lancashire Telegraph.

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Noticed that Lindsay wasnt even in the extended squad in their latest friendly, he is so far out of the picture. Would guess maybe he is in talks with someone but obviously with no new deals in the pipeline, that may well be someone else.

Not saying that I would sign him but of course he has been linked through the Lancashire Telegraph.

Is he a significant upgrade over what we've currently got? Or a replacement for Williams when he leaves?

33 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He has had a dismal time at Stoke where he has tumbled down the pecking order, so probably not.

He was good at Barnsley.I know you say Pinnock was the key for Barnsley but Lyndsay was very good for them also and at the time of his move to Stoke he had quite a lot of teams in for him.

I'm not saying he is the answer, but just because he had a bad time at his current club doesn't make him a bad player 

Just now, islander200 said:

He was good at Barnsley.I know you say Pinnock was the key for Barnsley but Lyndsay was very good for them also and at the time of his move to Stoke he had quite a lot of teams in for him.

I'm not saying he is the answer, but just because he had a bad time at his current club doesn't make him a bad player 

Not at all, a change of scenario may suit him although I dont think he would fill the void left by Adarabioyo.

All being said, I read that Stoke want their 2m investment back should they sell so we wouldnt be able to afford him and I wouldnt want him on loan.

Barely in mind the squad numbers that Stoke have where I believe that they have used 30 players this pre season. 

Lindsay played a friendly against Leeds where they won 3 nil and he played 83 minutes of the game. Also play 20 minutes against Shrewsbury in a 5-1 win. 

Stoke aren't going to get the 2 million pounds they paid for Lindsay back in this current financial climate. I would take him on loan with a view permanent signing next summer for 1 million pounds if he perform well. Also Stoke squad numbers so they are going have to reduce that wage bill and players within the 1st team squad. 

I would look to sign right back Tom Edwards from Stoke if we can agreed a deal. If ain't part of O'Neill long terms plans having prefer to be Collins a centre back in the right back slot.