BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

Its another farce of a transfer window. Under the potent mix of Mowbray and Venkys, it often seems like we struggle to get deals over the line. Was the same last summer. Wanted Bauer, failed to get it done, ended up with a loan. Supposedly tried to get 2 mystery foreign keepers, ended up with Walton on loan. Supposedly made contact over Maher, couldnt get that done. And theres never any urgency.

If Kipre was our main target, he moved elsewhere, and then plan B is close to doing the same, that might explain the struggle if we needed one player.

But we need 2 CB's, not 1, we badly need a left back, we need another keeper and perhaps a wide man and central midfielder. Why are we only capable of working on and inevitably failing at one deal at a time?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stuart said:

Will have to agree to disagreeing. He was clearly sceptical of Venkys and made sure they couldn’t shaft him. The failure to give him any of the Rhodes money was a big moment. I think that terminated the relationship and it was about getting to the end of the season.

Lambert had a better pedigree than any Venkys manager before and after - and he protected himself. Tells you something.

And TM & Co struck whilst the iron was hot and got himself protection in the way of a nice long contract extension.  Before doffing out extra years to the players.

That affords him whatever places we finish until it's up or he gets another extension which wouldn't surprise anyone.

3 minutes ago, tomphil said:

And TM & Co struck whilst the iron was hot and got himself protection in the way of a nice long contract extension.  Before doffing out extra years to the players.

That affords him whatever places we finish until it's up or he gets another extension which wouldn't surprise anyone.

The iron was hot because he got us promotion at the first attempt with a club record number of points and wins.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Whatever the feelings on Lambert it's clear to a certain degree he was sold something that was only half delivered.

Off topic and irrelevant now but I don't think there's any evidence Lambert was sold a pup at all.

I'd say all the events pointed to the opposite.

He inserted the get out clause of his own volition and of course we knew nothing at all about it until he'd left. He didn't perform here apart from the first few games, sold our star player on the last day of the January  window which from a timing point of view you don't do if you've any long term aspirations, failed to address glaring weaknesses in the squad or attend to contracts running down, then exercised his release clause and departed with glowing praise for everyone at the Club leaving us without a senior striker on the books.

It all points to a man who was only ever here as a stop gap measure to his own ends to me but I know some won't agree.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Yes, that's correct; they are detached from the club. That means that the possibility of in some ways bringing pressure to bear on the owners is remote.

Agreed.

As you said above, when we were at our lowest under Kean, the pressure still didn't reach them.

It's a huge problem for sure though, it's impossible to put any trust in Venky's after these last 10 years (10 years, really? ?) and the fact that they have detached themselves so much from the club/fans.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

was often not selected in favour of journeyman Jason Pearce.

He played in 31 of their games last season. Pearce played in 36. Sounds to me like 90% of the time they were playing together?

5 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

The iron was hot because he got us promotion at the first attempt with a club record number of points and wins.

Correct and i don't blame him but just another example of how naive these lot are they also gave him permission to spew 7 mill on a kid, or gave him the kid depending on what you believe.

By the way we'd also gone down to that level whilst he was manager for the first time in nearly 40 years. Not that they'd be aware of that of course.

7 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Off topic and irrelevant now but I don't think there's any evidence Lambert was sold a pup at all.

I'd say all the events pointed to the opposite.

He inserted the get out clause of his own volition and of course we knew nothing at all about it until he'd left. He didn't perform here apart from the first few games, sold our star player on the last day of the January  window which from a timing point of view you don't do if you've any long term aspirations, failed to address glaring weaknesses in the squad or attend to contracts running down, then exercised his release clause and departed with glowing praise for everyone at the Club leaving us without a senior striker on the books.

It all points to a man who was only ever here as a stop gap measure to his own ends to me but I know some won't agree.

When one of the directors at the time tells you directly, unprompted then i think it's safe to say the general feeling around the place was he was.

Only really he, the off shore appointees and Venkys (maybe) will know the cold hard truth though.

6 minutes ago, JoeH said:

He played in 31 of their games last season. Pearce played in 36. Sounds to me like 90% of the time they were playing together?

They had Tom Lockyer, a right footed CB who played all 43 games that he was available, and someone I suggested that we signed prior to joining Luton.

Pearce started 35 and was sub the other 11, and Sarr started 26 and was sub 17 times.

Charlton played with 3 centre backs quite a lot though, but when they played 2, Bowyer seemed to often trust Jason Pearce who is just a journeyman but a lot more conservative than Sarr.

I wonder if Sarr is the player who is going elsewhere?

28 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

He walked because he didn't want to be spokesman for the club like he was at Villa. 

I have reached the conclusion that his statement was just a convenient cover story.

A hit and run appointee, whose football was absolutely dire and nearly got the club relegated a year early!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Yes, that's correct; they are detached from the club. That means that the possibility of in some ways bringing pressure to bear on the owners is remote.

Boycott. 

Nobody buy season tickets when they are eventually available.

and get more articles like this in the Indian Press

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/football/epl/top-stories/VENKYSOUT-Fans-want-Indian-owners-to-leave-Blackburn-Rovers/articleshow/53867212.cms

1 minute ago, Crimpshrine said:

Boycott. 

Nobody buy season tickets when they are eventually available.

and get more articles like this in the Indian Press

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/football/epl/top-stories/VENKYSOUT-Fans-want-Indian-owners-to-leave-Blackburn-Rovers/articleshow/53867212.cms

Judging from the season ticket thread it seems that we have become the first club in history where the club is boycotting season tickets !

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

IMO, shambolic.

I could not operate under those terms - think Mowbray needs to show some b@lls and walk and sue for constructive dismissal. 

If we start another season, not fully prepared, even the Covid cover won't be enough for anyone, who is not a citizen of Stockholm.

How long have we been able to anticipate recent departures? The deficits at the back have been obvious for at least two years...

Evolution, my arse!

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Its another farce of a transfer window. Under the potent mix of Mowbray and Venkys, it often seems like we struggle to get deals over the line. Was the same last summer. Wanted Bauer, failed to get it done, ended up with a loan. Supposedly tried to get 2 mystery foreign keepers, ended up with Walton on loan. Supposedly made contact over Maher, couldnt get that done. And theres never any urgency.

If Kipre was our main target, he moved elsewhere, and then plan B is close to doing the same, that might explain the struggle if we needed one player.

But we need 2 CB's, not 1, we badly need a left back, we need another keeper and perhaps a wide man and central midfielder. Why are we only capable of working on and inevitably failing at one deal at a time?

It'll be the same story as last summer hanging round after the season has already kicked off and we're off to a bad start sitting there forlornly with puppy dog eyes hoping that a Premier League Club will do us a massive favour and a few crumbs will fall off the Premier League loan table.

Then if we do get reasonably lucky like we did last year with Tosin that will no doubt be paraded as having been the plan A all along.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, rigger said:

Money

Not so sure. Mowbray is seen as having rebuilt his reputation in the game. It's the complete control over men's football that is the draw, though the money, if they like you isn't bad..I'd be happy with Phillips and Sarr. Sarr in, Williams could leave. The problem with bringing Bunn or any other experienced keeper to mentor our younger keepers is that what we're really saying is that we need a new goalkeeping coach.

I'd like Ayala and Brad Smith in too, but getting the pair for less than a combined £50kpw would be good going.

Back in January, I had a thought about doing a player swap: Bell for Oglivie. Oglivie would be LB back up to Smith, assuming Thompson isn't ready to step up.

I realised I had the team making the playoffs due to Graham's presence. I think he's the glue that keeps the squad together. Perhaps bringing him back is a smart move.

4 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

It'll be the same story as last summer hanging round after the season has already kicked off and we're off to a bad start sitting there forlornly with puppy dog eyes hoping that a Premier League Club will do us a massive favour and a few crumbs will fall off the Premier League loan table.

Then if we do get reasonably lucky like we did last year with Tosin that will no doubt be paraded as having been the plan A all along.

The inability to close deals or seemingly work on more than one at once just continues to hinder us. Even if a CB deal has fallen through, we need 2 so why are we only working on 1? Why arent we trying to get a left back in at the same time.

You are right, we will end up with a kid on loan.

2 hours ago, Richard Oakley said:

Not so sure. Mowbray is seen as having rebuilt his reputation in the game. It's the complete control over men's football that is the draw, though the money, if they like you isn't bad..I'd be happy with Phillips and Sarr. Sarr in, Williams could leave. The problem with bringing Bunn or any other experienced keeper to mentor our younger keepers is that what we're really saying is that we need a new goalkeeping coach.

I'd like Ayala and Brad Smith in too, but getting the pair for less than a combined £50kpw would be good going.

Back in January, I had a thought about doing a player swap: Bell for Oglivie. Oglivie would be LB back up to Smith, assuming Thompson isn't ready to step up.

I realised I had the team making the playoffs due to Graham's presence. I think he's the glue that keeps the squad together. Perhaps bringing him back is a smart move.

It's even better if they don't like you. You get fired pretty quick, paid  in full, and you get to start all over again at another club. Trebles all round boys.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces