BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

1 hour ago, rovers11 said:

As much as we crave transfer stories, recent history shows we only find out about a signing 24 hours before it actually happens. I don't think anyone has the inside scoop on what is actually going on. 

That is how it should be and I would love that to be the situation now.

However, I have the sense of a depressing, recurring pattern.

So many on here have predicted it too...and not just in this window either....." We had our targets. They went somewhere else."

Like others, I wonder whether the club merely likes to encourage the fans believe that we are seriously" in" for good players, when it is only ever window dressing.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

So many on here have predicted it too...and not just in this window either....." We had our targets. They went somewhere else."

Like others, I wonder whether the club merely likes to encourage the fans believe that we are seriously" in" for good players, when it is only ever window dressing.

The Assombalongo saga sort of pointed to that a while back. They knew he'd cost a whopping fee and huge unsustainable wages yet apparently we made an 'enquiry'.

Once it became official it was at least 10 million and about 30 grand a week just to get a foot in the door it should have been put to bed. It wasn't it was left to rumble on as if we were in there hoping the cost would drop at the last min.

Was never going to happen and we were never serious anyway. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

The only time when it was really a case of the first time you heard about it was after the deal was done was when money was no object under Jack and Kenny started building a team.

However things are at the other extreme now. We allegedly have offers in for players all summer every summer and nothing ever happens or alternatively we get gazumped at the last minute by another Club actually offering what the selling Club wants. Whoever would have thought it?

Like you I suspect it's largely window dressing. Either because the owners will spend but Mowbray is averse to bringing new players in or the money isn't there to be competitive in the market. I actually tend slightly more towards the former view.

11 minutes ago, tomphil said:

The Assombalongo saga sort of pointed to that a while back. They knew he'd cost a whopping fee and huge unsustainable wages yet apparently we made an 'enquiry'.

Once it became official it was at least 10 million and about 30 grand a week just to get a foot in the door it should have been put to bed. It wasn't it was left to rumble on as if we were in there hoping the cost would drop at the last min.

Was never going to happen and we were never serious anyway. 

Ditto Harrison Reed.

Hung about all summer hoping to get him back again on loan with the parent Club subsidising a large part of his wages only to be gazumped by Fulham who offered what the selling Club wanted I.e. loan with a view to a permanent move on full wages.

Very slapdash to attempt to do business like that and it makes you think we never really wanted him in the first place.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Ditto Harrison Reed.

Hung about all summer hoping to get him back again on loan with the parent Club subsidising a large part of his wages only to be gazumped by Fulham who offered what the selling Club wanted I.e. loan with a view to a permanent move on full wages.

Very slapdash to attempt to do business like that and it makes you think we never really wanted him in the first place.

Why, did you think we would splash out 8 mil for a midfielder ?

12 minutes ago, unsall said:

No, but then why are we wasting our time being in for him in the first place when we could be in for a player we could realistically land as opposed to being in for one we realistically can't?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

It's difficult. You either go for decent players and put your hat in the ring for them and hope they 'buy into the project' as TM would say. However, those players will also likely have offers from other clubs who can offer a better package, therefore there's a good chance those targets will fall away.

The other strategy is to go for players that are a level below the top targets but with a higher chance of those players actually signing for the club. 

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

No, but then why are we wasting our time being in for him in the first place when we could be in for a player we could realistically land as opposed to being in for one we realistically can't?

Know what you mean, but it was a good loan for us, same as Tosin was when we had no chance of signing him.

26 minutes ago, unsall said:

We did it on Brereton who had a fraction of Reed's experience.

Plus we had the bonus of Reed already having had a year with us on loan, settling into the squad, knew how we played, we knew how he played and knew he was a good un.

I very much doubt that he would have cost £8 million last summer. Of course after a good season at Fulham and promotion a premium goes on top.

6 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Missing out on Kipre and Ayala (if true) is massively disappointing. If they'd have brought both in we'd be throwing a TM themed positivity party.. shame :( 

The one thing which I'm taking some solace from is that the players who have been linked most strongly (i.e. the ones you mention) are exactly what we need, as I hope Kaminski is. 

Hopefully this is a sign that we're holding out for the best which is available, but time will tell.

• Like 1