BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

58 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Mowbray gutted to lose out to Bristol City in the race for Chris Brunt

I liked Chris Brunt a lot as a player but that was back in the day. We may as well have given Downing another year as sign Chris Brunt. I won't be losing sleep over that signing. Good player in his day but that was a year or two ago. He might fit their plans but we don't need him.

5 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I wouldn't put it past them 

City did not let Tosin come here for nothing.

Why do you make out that we haven't spent money since back in the championship?

Gallagher, Brereton big transfer fees, It would have taken a nice few pound to bring in Johnson , Downing and in particular Holtby ,Tosin loan fee and wages Armstrong, Davenport etc etc.

We also gave out a load of new contracts when we got promoted from league 1.

In that time one outgoing of a significant player in Raya for 3 million.

Also don't get why you are so against loan deals?.In the main I would prefer permanent signings but for example if we could get Tosin back for a year or sign Naby Sarr permanent on a 2 year deal which one of those do you think would give us a better chance of making the top 6 and possibly getting promoted next season?Tosin for me all day long

Mawson just gone Bristol City for the year we would have a much better chance of getting top 6 with a years loan for a player of his ilk rather than signing cheap journey men just because we can get them permanently.

Don't come back saying we don't know what we paid for Tosin, I know we don't but we do know City don't just give their players out on loan for nothing and it was reported we paid a million loan fee and contributed to his 25k a week wage 

7 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

However, if all  the parties concerned were serious about the Kipre deal, he'd be here.

Why? What is so odd about two teams agreeing a fee for a player, and the player deciding he wanted to play at a higher level so turned us down .

He wasn't West Bromwich first choice, he said in his interview that he had spoken to the sporting director of West brom weeks before.We stuck in there to see if West Brom signed their favoured target leaving us to complete the Kipre deal.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, unleaded said:

Waggot & TM doing what till late hours ...

The Southend defence lineup from 3 Years ago says it all ..... 

And his Defenders are coming & am not stupid I know where we need to sign players bla bla .. 

We Deff need a directer of Football .. Waggot Mowbray and his side kick are just not the types to pull the players .. 

Venkys need a coach - Directer of football system .. 

We are playing catch up with the other like Brentford West Brom the list is endless ... 

If TM doesn’t like that .. he can always leave ... which he won’t ... he will never have a gig like this and Waggot .... 

We need a new manager !!

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, unleaded said:

And his Defenders are coming & am not stupid I know where we need to sign players bla bla .. 

We Deff need a directer of Football .. Waggot Mowbray and his side kick are just not the types to pull the players .. 

We are playing catch up with the other like Brentford West Brom the list is endless ... 

If TM doesn’t like that .. he can always leave ... which he won’t ... he will never have a gig like this and Waggot .... 

If they did go the director of football route they would probably appoint that clown Shebby Singh

16 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I liked Chris Brunt a lot as a player but that was back in the day. We may as well have given Downing another year as sign Chris Brunt. I won't be losing sleep over that signing. Good player in his day but that was a year or two ago. He might fit their plans but we don't need him.

Downing is a far better footballer but hey ho...

17 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I didn't want Brunt either but wouldn't be surprised if Mowbray did have a chat with him about a move here 

18 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

However, if all  the parties concerned were serious about the Kipre deal, he'd be here.

So if we were serious, we could outbid WBA re wages and sign him, we offered same transfer fee but couldn’t compete with a premier club wages, simple, nothing we could do, move on to the next one.

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Well weren't Villa desperate for a striker ? I thought they were in for Wilson as well before he joined the Bar codes. Fingers crossed they get the cheque book out.

Sadly, any 'sell on' clause receipts will, IMO, be used to help fill that ever growing black hole.

18 minutes ago, unleaded said:

My only reservation over the Director of Football role would be that you don't want a person with a non footballing background who couldn't tell a decent player if he tripped over him telling a football man of vast experience who he can and can't sign. This happened during Dalglish's latter spell at Liverpool when the clown Damien Commoli (sp?) was there I think.

However provided the DOF is at least equally clued up on spotting a player and the state of the market (shouldn't be difficult with TM in charge) I can't see too much problem if it takes some strain off the manager.

10 minutes ago, unsall said:

So if we were serious, we could outbid WBA re wages and sign him, we offered same transfer fee but couldn’t compete with a premier club wages, simple, nothing we could do, move on to the next one.

Kipre was obviously just hanging on until a Premier League Club came in for him. We should have been able to suss this out and move on to other targets.

Still, by enquiring about him it looks like we've been doing something.

Edited by RevidgeBlue

We need and have done all along is a Blackburn Rovers at heart football director.

Independent of the owners and their agencies. Not working for the manager either.

Somebody who sees things for what they are with no other agenda other than the club itself.

Sadly even if one existed they'd never get past the myriad of self serving advisors and go betweens. 

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 3

• Backroom
8 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Kipre was obviously just hanging on until a Premier League Club came in for him. We should have been able to suss this out and move on to other targets.

Tbf, had West Brom got their man, we would've had Kipre. I think it's genuinely as simple as that, and we got unlucky.

Unfortunately I also think we threw most of our eggs in that particular basket.

Edited by Mike E
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

We don't know that we weren't enquiring/bidding for other players though do we?

If the budget is as limited as many suggest then we would be hard pressed to find a player as good as Kipre.I know we desperately need new players but they need to be the best we can afford not just signing someone because they are cheap and available

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, islander200 said:

City did not let Tosin come here for nothing.

Why do you make out that we haven't spent money since back in the championship?

Gallagher, Brereton big transfer fees, It would have taken a nice few pound to bring in Johnson , Downing and in particular Holtby ,Tosin loan fee and wages Armstrong, Davenport etc etc.

We also gave out a load of new contracts when we got promoted from league 1.

In that time one outgoing of a significant player in Raya for 3 million.

Also don't get why you are so against loan deals?.In the main I would prefer permanent signings but for example if we could get Tosin back for a year or sign Naby Sarr permanent on a 2 year deal which one of those do you think would give us a better chance of making the top 6 and possibly getting promoted next season?Tosin for me all day long

Mawson just gone Bristol City for the year we would have a much better chance of getting top 6 with a years loan for a player of his ilk rather than signing cheap journey men just because we can get them permanently.

Don't come back saying we don't know what we paid for Tosin, I know we don't but we do know City don't just give their players out on loan for nothing and it was reported we paid a million loan fee and contributed to his 25k a week wage 

If we seriously splashed out £1 million to land Tosin last summer then more fool us. 

I don't think I've said we haven't spent money since promotion. My gripe is and has been that it isn't invested into the right areas - the defensive situation is verging on a disgrace and the fact that this manager looks set to turn up at Bournemouth on Saturday starting yet another season having failed to address it is a massive problem.

As of now we are well into another transfer window having failed to recruit the PERMANENT defensive acquisitions that we need. 

I've put it on here many a time that a suspicion of mine has long been that the owners will not authorise permanent deals for defenders except in very rare circumstances.

FACT is that we've spent less than £500k on defensive signings of our own in more than 4 years now. 

It has never been an issue heaping wages onto the payroll as they did with Downing and Johnson. Quite the opposite it seems to be 'easy come, easy go' on the wages front with Mowbray and co. dishing out extensions galore to Gladwin, Hart, Smallwood for no purpose.

Why am I against loan deals? Because relying on loans has got us into this state where we've no defenders and keepers because we've avoided addressing those positions with permanent signings, going into the summer in the unprecedented situation of having 1 established CB and no goalkeepers. If we had then we could relax a little more this summer. I think it is now inevitable that the only defensive additions we will get will be a loan or two from generous lending clubs which is a shambles.

I agree with your point about Bristol City - done some impressive business this week - Mawson, Sessegnon, Martin - no transfer fees paid but top quality players in BEFORE the season starts, no messing or dilly dallying. Why can't we do similar?

I don't really care if we paid £5 million for Tosin. The more we paid the more foolish it seems for an arrangement never likely to last more than 1 year. I thought we were meant to be building a squad to grow and develop not chucking big money at loans and short term contracts to patch up for 12 months?

Anyhow, these discussions whilst enjoyable and we can go back and forth about whether I am right or you are right are ultimately achieving nothing. One fact that everyone recognises even if they want to try and hide it is that yet again the season is kicking off and we are short.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

But you said the opposite,( saying  if all parties agreed he should be here)Now you’re saying we should have walked away. 
I have no idea if we made a genuine £900,000 bid, the word was we did, not sure how people know that we didn’t, but trying to compete with a premier club in wages, there was only going to be one winner.
If no one comes in after deadline you might be right, but I’m hopeful there will be 2/3 additions, especially c/b and l/b.

6 minutes ago, JHRover said:

If we seriously splashed out £1 million to land Tosin last summer then more fool us. 

I don't think I've said we haven't spent money since promotion. My gripe is and has been that it isn't invested into the right areas - the defensive situation is verging on a disgrace and the fact that this manager looks set to turn up at Bournemouth on Saturday starting yet another season having failed to address it is a massive problem.

As of now we are well into another transfer window having failed to recruit the PERMANENT defensive acquisitions that we need. 

I've put it on here many a time that a suspicion of mine has long been that the owners will not authorise permanent deals for defenders except in very rare circumstances.

FACT is that we've spent less than £500k on defensive signings of our own in more than 4 years now. 

It has never been an issue heaping wages onto the payroll as they did with Downing and Johnson. Quite the opposite it seems to be 'easy come, easy go' on the wages front with Mowbray and co. dishing out extensions galore to Gladwin, Hart, Smallwood for no purpose.

Why am I against loan deals? Because relying on loans has got us into this state where we've no defenders and keepers because we've avoided addressing those positions with permanent signings, going into the summer in the unprecedented situation of having 1 established CB and no goalkeepers. If we had then we could relax a little more this summer. I think it is now inevitable that the only defensive additions we will get will be a loan or two from generous lending clubs which is a shambles.

I agree with your point about Bristol City - done some impressive business this week - Mawson, Sessegnon, Martin - no transfer fees paid but top quality players in BEFORE the season starts, no messing or dilly dallying. Why can't we do similar?

I don't really care if we paid £5 million for Tosin. The more we paid the more foolish it seems for an arrangement never likely to last more than 1 year. I thought we were meant to be building a squad to grow and develop not chucking big money at loans and short term contracts to patch up for 12 months?

Anyhow, these discussions whilst enjoyable and we can go back and forth about whether I am right or you are right are ultimately achieving nothing. One fact that everyone recognises even if they want to try and hide it is that yet again the season is kicking off and we are short.

You’re against loan deals but praising Bristol City who have just loaned 2 players.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, JHRover said:

agree with your point about Bristol City - done some impressive business this week - Mawson, Sessegnon, Martin - no transfer fees paid but top quality players in BEFORE the season starts, no messing or dilly dallying. Why can't we do similar?

But you are against loans deals so why endorsed their signings then? 

7 minutes ago, JHRover said:

we seriously splashed out £1 million to land Tosin last summer then more fool us. 

500k loan fee plus 10k of his wages I believe. Isn't his wages for 40k  there?

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

But you are against loans deals so why endorsed their signings then? 

500k loan fee plus 10k of his wages I believe. Isn't his wages for 40k  there?

You do realise that the fact we signed Tosin and Walton on loan last summer rather than a couple of permanents is THE reason we are in this predicament now?

If we had signed Mawson, Sessegnon and Martin in the space of a week I would hold my hands up and hand it to the club. That is dreamland stuff here though.

No problem with loans if it takes the squad up a level whilst having a stable solid core of our own to fall back on.

Relying on loans to assemble the squad and to avoid making permanent signings? Well that is nothing but a short term patch up approach and look where we are because of it.

• Like 2

Just now, JHRover said:

You do realise that the fact we signed Tosin and Walton on loan last summer rather than a couple of permanents is THE reason we are in this predicament now?

If we had signed Mawson, Sessegnon and Martin in the space of a week I would hold my hands up and hand it to the club. That is dreamland stuff here though.

No problem with loans if it takes the squad up a level whilst having a stable solid core of our own to fall back on.

Relying on loans to assemble the squad and to avoid making permanent signings? Well that is nothing but a short term patch up approach and look where we are because of it.

Yes I know we signed Adarabioyo and he improvement our defence. Walton was Walton. We all know what happen there don't we. 

So you are for loans as long as you agree with the players quality we sign

Mawson was never coming here. Wages demands too much.