BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

3 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Good post, but if you have a wage structure then how do you propose navigating this market? Target lesser players? Continue to chance your arm with the better players? 

Mowbray said they 'had an agreement in place' which suggests they were close to agreeing terms. If ever there was a player to break the wage structure for (a little bit - they shouldn't bother wasting time if its completely unrealistic) then its Ayala as we desperately need an experienced centre back to give us any hope of promotion and that's going to cost money. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bohinen 22 said:

Can someone ask Mowbray why are we possibly going to start our season with 3 of the 4 man defence from the league 1 opener three years ago against Southend? Defence was crap then and still is now. What do Tony and Steve do on these late nights at Brockhall when they’re trying to recruit? It’s an absolute joke. A shambles. They couldn’t run a bath. 

Policy is they won't pay for defenders it has to be sub 1 million so they might be worth 4 times that in years to come. Up front they'll pay more because it can double up quicker.

Not many decent defenders around for sub 1 million and less than 15k pwk though although other clubs seem to find them. I'm sure somewhere there is a decent center half whose club might be tempted to sell for 2 or 3 million but he might be 27/28 and TM & Vs are scared of ready made signings. Outside of a short loan that is !

5 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Can pass it well but way too slow on the turn and across the turf.

Holtby will be playing this role I think, and has looked good doing it.

I think this is why we after that kid Garner from Man Utd.

We know that Holtby struggles with injuries so smart to have him as well and creates competition in that place but is he any better than Davenport that can play that role as well?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, neophox said:

Bentley was a gifted proven player but also had his injuries and never came back the same after.

He fell out of love with the game. Do not think it was injuries but his attitude and desire was no longer there. 

9 hours ago, Vilesinner said:

Charlie was atrocious in that game. Slow and can't head the ball. Not a championship quality player unfortunately.

Which makes it odd that he was captain 1st game of the season and didn't look to be out till alleged argument. 

20 minutes ago, Roverthechimp said:

Mulgrew in the Tugay role?

12 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Can pass it well but way too slow on the turn and across the turf.

Holtby will be playing this role I think, and has looked good doing it.

I've wondered and suggested this a few times although JBN may well have said why it can't work. Certainly Holtby would be better there but it may still be worth trying him there as back up. If that's the way to go I can't think of any other players we have who could play that role. Would his intelligence and passing make up for his lack of pace? 

15 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Probably because he would be offered a higher basic salary if he accepted the option be put in the contract.

I thought it worked the other way i.e they want x amount, club say that's a bit too much but we'll give you the option of another year as security instead. Players agent might then say ok but we want a sensible 'trigger amount' to compensate should any bids come in.

Once it's agreed and signed then it's enforceable for all parties.

Edited by tomphil

1 hour ago, neophox said:

Don't think any premier league club will buy a 27 year old Bradley Dack whos been out almost a year with a knee ligament injury. If he want to play in the Premier League his best chance is to do well this season and do it with Rovers and fire them up. 

He's got as much chance of playing Premier League football as I have then ?

53 minutes ago, tomphil said:

I thought it worked the other way i.e they want x amount, club say that's a bit too much but we'll give you the option of another year as security instead. Players agent might then say ok but we want a sensible 'trigger amount' to compensate should any bids come in.

Once it's agreed and signed then it's enforceable for all parties.

Presumably that would mean the player would have the option as well as the club ?

22 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Presumably that would mean the player would have the option as well as the club ?

He might have for all we know these things never really come out until after something happens like a bid or an expression to leave. If he was just tied in to an extra year then it would just be a standard 3 or 4 year contract.

Surely the 'rolling' on bit has certain triggers to it or at some point all parties have to agree to let it roll i doubt it's all one sided in favour of the club. Unless he's on a right big wage of course.

9 hours ago, 47er said:

NOBODY believes we paid £7M up front. Haven't done that since the early 90's and Jack. 

You sure? Judging by some of the comments on here I would beg to differ.

Doesnt the 12m fee quoted for 2 strikers keep being brought up when we probably haven’t spent half of that on Brereton and Gallagher

5 minutes ago, Tugayisgod said:

Doesnt the 12m fee quoted for 2 strikers keep being brought up when we probably haven’t spent half of that on Brereton and Gallagher

We all know the money is paid in instalments, therefore we are committed to pay what we signed up for and therefore its not available to us for any other purpose. Its fully accounted for unless the add-ons don't turn out. In the case of these two, that's highly likely because they're not very good.

Will that do?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tugayisgod said:

The accounts tell a different story as has bits in the paper.

A fair lump went down on Brereton and he's been here a few years now so that won't be far off paid up. Also it was Gallagher was 3 million initially going to 5 with add ons so there'll have been a fair bit down up top on that. They often have to do that now in order to nail the deal.

15 minutes ago, Tom said:

This line from the Telegraph article shows how shambolic our recruitment has become 

That leaves Rovers still in the market for two new central defenders, but they face starting the season without any new signings at the back for the third successive year.

@JHRover has often put his thoughts across about Venky's not willing to put their hands in their pockets for defenders and when you see lines like that it's difficult to disagree with him.

• Like 4

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Just now, davulsukur said:

@JHRover has often put his thoughts across about Venky's not willing to put their hands in their pockets for defenders and when you see lines like that it's difficult to disagree with him.

Why?The manager is given a budget,last summer HE decided to spend the majority of it on Gallagher and I don't care what you or anyone else says Gallagher was a Mowbray signing.

The Venkys have made nice money selling defenders since their arrival,I think it's a fairytale that the owners block signings of defensive players.The Tosin 1 year loan deal was expensive in itself .

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, 47er said:

We all know the money is paid in instalments, therefore we are committed to pay what we signed up for and therefore its not available to us for any other purpose. Its fully accounted for unless the add-ons don't turn out. In the case of these two, that's highly likely because they're not very good.

Will that do?

Not like buying a car though at fixed amounts it's more structured to the selling club getting as much as they can as quick as they can these days i'd wager.

Big lump up front then another couple of juicy installments followed by dribs and drabs of fancy add ons over the contract. The accounts showed nearly 6 million paid out for new additions the season BB & AA signed.  Fair to say there was some hefty deposits there.

• Like 1