BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

Just now, rovers11 said:

Unless it's about us being close to signing some players and/or our best players being close to signing new contracts, I won't bother reading it!

You know what it will be about and no, I will not be reading/listening to it either.Hard luck stories, greedy players/agents, we have tried for x, y and z blah de blah blah.

• Like 1

Just now, CambridgeRover said:

"We've invested heavily in our recruitment, almost doubled our recruitment budget," said Waggott. "We now have all the platforms and knowledge that you could possibly want at the club, and other clubs are looking at what we're doing with Stuart Harvey, our Head of Recruitment, and his staff."

Jesus. Are we seriously holding ourselves up as pinnacle of player recruitment?? What planet is our management on?

Either massively deluded or has hired Trump's spin doctor and just tells blatant lies

• Like 1

"They've got to be right" - Blackburn Rovers CEO Steve Waggott explains transfer market situation

"I would think we definitely need a couple in. At least two. In an ideal world, three stroke four, that would be good."

With Mulgrew and Williams expected to depart. That is 8 1st team players departing without replacement.

Waggott speaks of potentially bringing in two. Pathetic.

5 HAS TO BE the bare minimum.

• Like 3

• Backroom
2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Waggott acknowledges Rovers are down on numbers from last season, with up to four more signings targeted, but said: "If a player is coming in then there are prescribed limits that we’re not going to budge on and if you want more than that then you have to find another club."

That kind of stance would be fine if we had Mick McCarthy in charge - a manager who can not only work but thrive and be successful on a small budget. As we have Tony Mowbray these kind of limitations will doom us to mid-table nothingness at best as for all his good points I don't think Tony is realistically capable of getting a club with a limited budget into the Championship top six. 

• Like 1

"If a player is coming in then there are prescribed limits that we’re not going to budge on and if you want more than that then you have to find another club."

And they do. They get the money they want because they know they can get it somewhere. Why waste time on players if you know their demands are higher than what we can afford and you are not going to budge? Ala Ayala? Waste of time and preseason. They know what players were/are on - so I never understand why we are targeting completely unrealistic targets if our budget is so thin? Did the same with Assomabalonga.

Sometimes you have to pay a little more if you want the desired quality. 

• Like 6

All of our 1st team players were signed by Mowbray to the contracts they are currently on.

25 1st team players.

12 progressed out of our academy or straight into our team via another academy.

3 came from Premier League teams.

2 came with excessive transfer fees both signed under Mowbray.

10 came from the Championship or League One.

If Mowbray wants to assign blame for the wages his players are on and where they came from. He need not look any further than a mirror.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, RovingRover said:

More a case of settling in young impressive players to prove their talent and sell them to bring in loans and free's.

Buckley and Garner are nothing alike. Frankly a bizarre comparison.

I get the training up our own talent argument. But we don't have anything of the talent of Garner.

Not saying that he isnt, but how can you be so sure that Garner is so much better than Buckley?

I am not one to turn his nose up at shorter term deals (obviously amidst long term ones too) if it means better results. But just curious as to how you can be so sure that he is so good that you call the comparison "bizarre."

5 hours ago, RovingRover said:

Save 10% wages for a player we are never going to play until his would be contract with us expires or pay him 100% his wages just to sit around at the club trashing the morale of the club?

Which would you do?

I think obviously whilst the contract should never have been given out, and now it has, we should look to get him out as a player unable to contribute on the field anymore for any sort of financial benefit to us. I am not sure that I feel comfortable with the phrase "trashing the morale of the club." 

There is absolutely no suggestion that he is anything but a good professional aside from a bit of a tongue in cheek tweet, and he deserves a lot of respect for what he has done rather than being made out to be a bad egg. 

21 minutes ago, CambridgeRover said:

"We've invested heavily in our recruitment, almost doubled our recruitment budget," said Waggott. "We now have all the platforms and knowledge that you could possibly want at the club, and other clubs are looking at what we're doing with Stuart Harvey, our Head of Recruitment, and his staff."

Jesus. Are we seriously holding ourselves up as a model example of player recruitment?? What planet is our management on? That sounds like something Steve Kean would come out with 

“I think myself, Tony and Mark Venus all feel that we need some experience in the squad, and cover in key positions for us. Defensively, if you look at the stats, we conceded about 1.7 goals a game, so that’s a key area we have to look at and a couple of other areas we need cover in as well.”

The season starts on Saturday. No rush though, eh.

• Like 1

The usual lines and excuses from Waggott. Blow some smoke up the owners arse, moan about agents, moan about wages, moan about FFP, the whole inferiority complex.

Ultimately as @K-Hod touches on, we go into the season with the same defence minus Adarabioyo and actions speak louder than words.

We need "a couple" just at centre back. Chuck in a left back, a sub keeper, and then obviously a further wide man, central midfielder and right back in an ideal world.

Also, fair play for eventually communicating about this to the local paper, but not sure he has been questioned on his constant inability to provide any communication on the official site to keep supporters up to date.

• Like 1

Everything he said is fair enough. Don't really have an issue with it on a factual or logical basis. But it's a situation every club is in except those with parachute payments. Many Championship clubs have less resources than us and some clubs are signing good players.

So we need to do something about it, not just talk about it.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

"If a player is coming in then there are prescribed limits that we’re not going to budge on and if you want more than that then you have to find another club."

And they do. They get the money they want because they know they can get it somewhere. Why waste time on players if you know their demands are higher than what we can afford and you are not going to budge? Ala Ayala? Waste of time and preseason. They know what players were/are on - so I never understand why we are targeting completely unrealistic targets if our budget is so thin? Did the same with Assomabalonga.

Sometimes you have to pay a little more if you want the desired quality. 

Waggott's talking completely out of his backside anyway. In one breath he says that we won't budge on wages etc. in the next he completely contradicts that by saying they can always go to the owners in a special case.

You'd think the article was a spoof if you didn't know any different - "we've doubled the amount spent on recruitment" - whoopy doo - shame we can't afford to bring anyone in though - at least a team have been given employment looking at players - and "everyone's looking at what we do".

Why, so they can start failing to bring players in as well?

I'm genuinely starting to think that after this and the cringeworthy ST statement Waggott isn't very bright at all. He obviously doesn't realise how everything he says fails to match up with reality and how ridiculous he sounds. 

• Like 8

Last week in the Telegraph it was at least another keeper, lb and 2x cb with ideally a CM and RB also.

Now the ever changing expectations come down another notch with Waggott's minimum 2 but preferably 3 or 4. No mention of the 6.

I think Waggott wants us to be impressed by all the talks about limits on what we are preferred to do. Fine. We have a budget. So why spend months going after players obviously way outside that, Ayala the latest?

Do they think these players are desperate to join Mowbray and co. and will accept a drastic wage cut?

Surely this super duper recruitment department would pick up on excessive demands early on rather than taking us on a merry dance for weeks.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 3