BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

So now the list is shortening by the day, who realistically are we looking at for CB? 

Mawson, Ayala, Kipre etc. All moved on. It’s looking like the European market or take a chance on the youth......both have their gambles! 

who’s everyone’s 1st choice now?

2 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

The whole policy makes no sense to me.  It's like saying we could spend £4million on a player...but only if they come on £10k a week - which isn't commensurate with that kind of fee....so we don't sign anybody.  

No, makes no sense whatsoever.

It would explain the Brereton signing though, owners getting itchy feet about no signings towards the end of that window as well, so make the extra transfer money available but the only way we can sign a £7m player and fit him into our wage structure is to sign a 19 year old.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CambridgeRover said:

It is interesting the club never shut up about the wage and finance structure they have in place ........

After we fucking paid 5 million for that donkey Gallagher

and seven million for a fragile,so called centre forward who can`t do anything,iv`e given up on waggot and mowbray,they don`t exist in my world anymore

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

The few takeaways from the last few pages of posts and my views on them all....

1- I don’t mind that we have a salary cap, I’d rather we were more prudent financially, as we are a shit ton in debt. 
2- My eternal confusion of our transfer policy is that surely, it can’t be a mystery how much players cost and how much they want to be paid. I accept I don’t work in football and have no clue about transfers, but surely, the first things you’d ask are the fee and wages?!

3- We are three days away from the start of the season and we haven’t stopped faffing yet.

The players we have gone for (Ayala and Kipre) are on wages that are within our budget, so they are seen as reasonable targets. 

What can you do though if another club comes in and offers double or triple what you’re offering in terms of wages? The player will obviously choose the better deal and we are unwilling to up our offer due to the salary caps.

I don’t think it’s really a mystery.

• Like 2

The frustrating thing for me is that the club claim to have a scouting network and yet everytime we go in for a player it turns out that Mowbray knows him from a previous club.  What do these scouts do as they certainly don't produce any new players.

Personally I'm all in favour of not spending big if we can't afford it but if you have the right scouting in place that doesn't stop you from getting good players in who can make a difference.  plenty of others have done it in recent years. We seem, to be unable to make any moves in the market and this is presumably cos we're only identifying players who other clubs are after as well  .  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Out of interest, is that bottom conclusive paragraph based solely on the stats ot based on watching him play? I have not seen him play much and would be wary to come to a conclusion based solely on data.

Both clips and data. Cannot upload the video files onto here as the sizes are far too big for whats allowed.

Just now, JoeH said:

Both clips and data. Cannot upload the video files onto here as the sizes are far too big for whats allowed.

Only problem with clips and highlights is that its unlikely to highlight weaknesses and errors and impossible to gain a full picture.

The stats/data are as variable to the team they play for as the player themselves. Although interesting to read.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TBTF said:

Not all about playing wages though. I thought that was around £18 million and of offset by tv and gate income probably takes us down to a £10 million deficit . Then you have an army of employees - think there were about 240 of them all told In the accounts .( including £350k for Waggott alone). Then you have academy / junior teams, ladies teams travelling midweek to places like Southampton / charlton / Brighton, first team travel and hotels and a stadium to run . There will be frightening costs and wastage in areas we barely even consider .How many staff cars do we run?? I bet travel and hotels alone across the club as a whole will be eye watering . I bet taking nearly 30 staff and players to an away game will be plenty and that’s just 23 league games for one team .What would the Pre season In Portugal cost for a week for 40 or so players and staff? It’s mental .
All adds up  But whatever it’s an awful lot more than simply squad wages and agents fees.

I think the wage bill is closer to £23m but I agree with your point. The losses @JHRover mentions are not just from playing costs. Owning a football club outside the Prem, and especially in the Championship, is a very expensive business. 

7 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

It is odd and weirdly honourable that TM and SW will not overspend. Especially because as we all know by now, all you really have to do with Venkys is ask for more and you will receive it! 

Yeah they really gave Bowyer, C**le and Lambert millions didn’t they ?

• Like 9

Funny how this now fabled and expensive recruitment dept is coming up with names everybody already knows are good and other teams are already in front of us.

About time it turned up a few rabbits out the hat, hopefully the keeper is one.

• Like 4

We could do with someone at the LT to develop a backbone and instead of lapping up the rubbish spouted by Waggott and Mowbray without question, ask Mowbray why, if as Waggott says the owners are prepared to go the extra mile for special cases, we are STILL missing out on all our targets.

Judging by the last 2 windows when funds were made available for BB and SG there's nothing to suggest the owners won't dip their hands in their pockets if asked so that would indicate our so called attempts at recruitment are even more pointless and wide of the mark than they would otherwise seem.

We might as well have been after Bale at LB and Messi on loan  to add width offering to pay Barcelona 1% of his supposed £2m p.w. wages for all the good it's done us so far. I've never known us be so incapable of signing players even in the bad old days when we genuinely had no money and had to send off unsigned cheques for the leccy to buy a few days. Other Clubs throughout the Leagues with far lesser budgets than us don't seem to have too much of a problem identifying and bringing in  targets they think can improve them within their means. It seems to be a thing peculiar to us that the art of recruitment is a bewildering and mystical thing beyond our capability.

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

It is odd and weirdly honourable that TM and SW will not overspend. Especially because as we all know by now, all you really have to do with Venkys is ask for more and you will receive it! 

As far as I’m aware, the real hold up comes from Suhail. He’s the one that the Ewood staff think is responsible for things going to shit. The policy seems to be Venus identifies targets, Mowbray puts them to Waggot (affectionally known as Swag internally), Swag does the negotiation then refers it up to Suhail. Theoretically all that work can be done and then it can be kiboshed at the top. It shouldn’t get to that level and then have anything but an approval. 

Just now, islander200 said:

Ayala previous wage is above our budget but available on a free we could have offset the reduction he would have taken on his wage by upping the signing on fee

I suppose it depends by how much above our budget? If he wants £5k a week more than our wage cap that's £250k a year, or £1m over 4 years. That's a lot of money when it's already been said we won't be paying over £1m for a player this summer.  

Just now, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

I suppose it depends by how much above our budget? If he wants £5k a week more than our wage cap that's £250k a year, or £1m over 4 years. That's a lot of money when it's already been said we won't be paying over £1m for a player this summer.  

We would have done it with Holtby last season he would have got a significant signing on fee to come here on our wage cap.

Just saying that's why we could have been in negotiating with Ayala.Its not as simple as his previous wage being much higher than our current ceiling there are ways around it and it was spoken about last window by Mowbray when we brought Johnson and Holtby to the club

• Like 1

Just now, islander200 said:

We would have done it with Holtby last season he would have got a significant signing on fee to come here on our wage cap.

Just saying that's why we could have been in negotiating with Ayala.Its not as simple as his previous wage being much higher than our current ceiling there are ways around it and it was spoken about last window by Mowbray when we brought Johnson and Holtby to the club

I'm sure you're right, there just seems to be less money about this summer. We certainly don't appear to be splashing £5m on anyone like we did on Gally. 

4 minutes ago, J*B said:

As far as I’m aware, the real hold up comes from Suhail. He’s the one that the Ewood staff think is responsible for things going to shit. The policy seems to be Venus identifies targets, Mowbray puts them to Waggot (affectionally known as Swag internally), Swag does the negotiation then refers it up to Suhail. Theoretically all that work can be done and then it can be kiboshed at the top. It shouldn’t get to that level and then have anything but an approval. 

This the same Suhail that oversaw the Lambert fiasco then the Warnock/Coyle saga? Sounds about right.

• Like 1