BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

1 hour ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

I said the other day a signing was close, that was Cunningham back in. There was a breakthrough the other day in that Cardiff were happy to let him go. We now have competition for that deal however

Write it off then i don't think there's much stomach for a fight and although he's twice the player Bell is he's not one i'd go all out for given the injury.

Sad fact is that's just the type Mowbray appears to feel safe signing, a project to get fit, nice lad already knows him and no doubt his agent. Easy to write off if it doesn't work.

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

I feel like he's the one missing out there. If he'd signed on, he'd probably end up playing the majority of the season for us. If we recruit well at LB & potentially a CM if funds allow, we won't have a need for him in those positions, plus we have plenty of young lads coming through (Chapman, JRC, Dolan) that can play on the wing. 

I'll go out on a limb and say that he won't be signed up by anyone before the end of the transfer window.

• Like 1

The Downing approach makes no sense. Surely he himself would have provided that competition in central midfield, in a 3 which would have suited him more, had he been involved from the start of pre season.

Now it shouldnt even be considered, at his age playing catch up would be even harder. Its this indecisivess, surely you can try and fill all positions simultaneously, if Downing ticks off CM before the CB comes through, so be it. If a deal that was financially worthwhile couldnt be agreed, then dont flirt with going back to it after the season has started when he isnt fit.

Im guessing reading that, maybe a second CB and sub keeper isnt in Mowbrays mind either.

We dont need competition at left back either. We need someone to come in and play. Bell is dreadful.

• Backroom
2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I like Tony but maybe he needs to stop talking to players himself!

I can imagine players ready to sign, then go to bed depressed after a night time call with Tony about how it’s a long project and they may not be in the team and need to learn his game etc

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The Downing approach makes no sense. Surely he himself would have provided that competition in central midfield, in a 3 which would have suited him more, had he been involved from the start of pre season.

Now it shouldnt even be considered, at his age playing catch up would be even harder. Its this indecisivess, surely you can try and fill all positions simultaneously, if Downing ticks off CM before the CB comes through, so be it. If a deal that was financially worthwhile couldnt be agreed, then dont flirt with going back to it after the season has started when he isnt fit.

Im guessing reading that, maybe a second CB and sub keeper isnt in Mowbrays mind either.

We dont need competition at left back either. We need someone to come in and play. Bell is dreadful.

I started to get triggered by his interviews last season but now I take them all with a massive pinch of salt. Whenever he talks about competition, I genuinely think he means he wants to improve the starting XI, but doesn't explicitly say it so that he doesn't piss anyone in the squad off. It's annoying, as it just ends up pissing the fans off instead!

• Like 1

The circus continues.

With our European Scouting Network in full swing the name Cunningham is offered as a possibility of left back, which seems a rather excessive amount of resources to identify a player we've already had on loan. Of course we are at risk of missing out to those football giants Bristol City, which is understandable. If we do, it won't be Rovers fault. 

Downing deal is off the table. Well, age makes that not too disappointing a blow. But given he can play three positions to a decent standard and we've lost a lot of players you'd have thought his versatility would have made him a decent signing. Add in that he was actually pretty decent last year and it's all a bit odd we didn't sign him up. 

Edit seen we are not in competition with Bristol City. Am sure we will find someone else to lose out to. An asthmatic snail moves faster than we do on transfers...

Edited by Blue blood
  • Like 4

47 minutes ago, Tom said:

I like Tony but maybe he needs to stop talking to players himself!

I can imagine players ready to sign, then go to bed depressed after a night time call with Tony about how it’s a long project and they may not be in the team and need to learn his game etc

I'd be concerned with any player willing to sign before talking to the manager. Surely as a player you want to know how the manager intends to play you, ambitions for the season etc. 

Similarly, I imagine many would criticise TM if he was agreeing to the signing of senior squad players if he hadn't spoken to them. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Does anyone seriously believe that a proper contract was offered to Downing and he turned it down?

I dont.

I expect Mowbray will have had some informal discussions with him but given the clear cutbacks here it was unlikely to be viable.

Yeah we didn’t offer him shit

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

No one has claimed that they want to be a wannabe CEO, 

plenty on here, act like its easy to negotiating transfers, contracts, agents fees, etc. Getting in the right players in. 

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

Would that be to buy or loan?

he out of contract in 12 months I believe

1 hour ago, Richard Oakley said:

Kaminski was first scouted last year,before the new european scouting department was set up. wouldn't be surprised, if we didn't enquire about him in January and let Gent know what we could afford to pay. Gent wanted to get shut of the player.

The European scouting was around 12 months ago but we appointed Bruno Reis to the Chief European scout role about 10/11 months ago. We scouted him for a number of times so we know the keeper we got in

@RovingRover explained how we get the keeper so cheap in his previous on the subject

11 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

why keep digging at the European Scouting network?

Couple of reasons I'm frustrated with it: 

1) I'm pretty disappointed its not produced much within two years. Still time to redeem itself but it should have been producing more than it has currently.  .

2) I think its that combined with TMs preference to go for the known and safe option. Cunningham link this year, Gally as the striker last year. We've been linked with Pears (sp?) from Boro as a keeper who other than the Boro links/convenience  doesn't have much going for it. My frustration is why invest in a European network - which I think in principle is a good idea - if there's a tendency to go with the known. I guess in League 1 that was fair enough, albeit not ideal, given how little time TM had had, but by now we shouldn't be as reliant on known as much as we have been over the past year or two. 

• Like 1

No one has said that it is easy @chaddyrovers but it is always Rovers making excuses and struggling, and ultimately people will judge those "experts" who are in charge on what is done, and ultimately we are going into a season with a defence of the same players that we had last year aside from Adarabioyo (and Cunningham for a few games) which is why people are so critical. We can't field a back 4 of a greedy agent, FFP, financial inferiority and a failed medical, people dont want excuses, they want the long awaited defenders to actually come in, ideally before the season starts. Maybe other teams have better people negotiating deals than we do.

Passing comment doesnt mean that they are volunteering to do the job themselves, just that they are passing opinion rather than just acting as an echo chamber for everything that comes out of the mouth of Mowbray or Waggott. Equally if someone criticises a player for missing an open net or making a mistake, it isnt them putting themselves forward to sign a 5 year contract. You will need to come up with better than that.

@RovingRover see @Swanson's post above. They arent interested in him.

• Like 7