BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

What I cant get my head around is why we are using the teams with the least competence in this summers transfer market as our benchmark? We need to improve considerably on last season to get where we want, we cant afford a transfer window that is worse than most but similar to a few with the same issues.

Middlesbrough are often mentioned, Warnock has again come out today and shown his frustration, why would we want to compare with that? That being said, they have got their second deal over the line today and have had a third in for a medical and are apparently well down the line with Sam Morsy as a fourth. Preston, they never have any money and cant register a player until they get a senior one off their books. Ultimately, they have a similar squad every summer, rarely do they get loans and short term deals, but they always have to scrape the bottom of the barrel, our third most expensive striker since promotion was for money that they couldnt compete with, they get their forward players from teams like Exeter and Morecambe.

We had plenty of advantages in many ways. We knew the division we would play in (that was an excuse at one point) with a couple of games to go. We for various reasons arent waiting on player sales, seemingly we arent reliant on the money and we dont have any players that have starred enough to make it impossible to stop them going to the Premier League, Dack has had a serious injury, Armstrong has been scoring for half a season only and none of the others are good enough like a Watkins, a Cash etc to make them inevitably primed for a move this summer. So we can get to work as soon as the owners get their arses in gear, which of course is always late. Our 3 loans were all in defence/goalkeeper because Mowbrays squad is imbalanced, but we knew which players (them and the out of contract players) were going early and knew where the holes would be.

Why dont we compare to teams who have seemingly had far more joy in the market getting what they want. Take Coventry, apparently very much into their recruitment like we seemingly are supposed to be now, 8 signings in from various places. Maybe Swansea, even more reliant on loans than we have been and also with Ayew who is on disproportionately high wages and although he is right up there in terms of the best player in the league, he limits them getting other players in. But they knew what was coming this summer, they got Woodman and Guehi back on loan who are both quality, they replaced Connor Gallagher with Morgan Gibbs-White, they addressed a lack of experience bringing in Smith from Bristol City and they got Jamal Lowe on the cheap to bring some pace and goal threat. Stoke, quite a few signings that look impressive. QPR, had to wait to sell Eze but have addressed a few different positions. Forest, got a few of the better freebies around. Derby, got Clarke back, Marshall a very good keeper and showed real pro activity signing te Wierek on a pre-contract agreement. They also replaced Bogle with Byrne within 2 days. Bristol City have done some really good business. Brentford replaced Watkins and Jeanvier before they left. Birmingham, Cardiff, plenty of teams have done decent business. We still havent shut the door totally on Downing in contrast, its just so indecisive.

I noticed how todays transfer update suggests that the Williams interest has fizzled out and he will be our third centre back. Even if we replace Cunningham and Adarabioyo with players as good, we will still have Bell, Williams and Bennett getting plenty of minutes.

Edited by roversfan99
  • Like 4

Hearing that XY and Z clubs haven't signed anybody is getting tedious and trying to justify what has so far been a poor window. I really couldn't care less who hasn't signed many players, I'm only interested in Rovers. Saturday is the first game and we still haven't strengthened in the areas we all know needed doing and all I'm hearing from Rovers is excuses, some of which are well worn.

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

I said the other day a signing was close, that was Cunningham back in. There was a breakthrough the other day in that Cardiff were happy to let him go. We now have competition for that deal however

So that's the best the much vaunted recruitment could come up with is it? 

A guy who was with us last season anyway who's also had a bad injury and may not be the same? Wonder how they managed to unearth that hidden gem?

Sounds like it won't happen anyway and it'll be the usual "Club X came in for him at the last minute and how could we compete with that?"

We (and the owners) being taken for absolute mugs by Waggott Mowbray and Venus. They talk about basic stuff which should be second nature anyway like signing players from Europe and (too late) about getting our better players tied down on long term deals as if it's some earth shattering new concept which only we have thought of.

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 1

There are many very talented players in the MLS. They are affordable and more than capable of playing in the Championship. Richie Laryea of TFC would easily start at LB for Rovers. He has speed, defends well and scores the odd goal. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, blondie said:

Any player that allows an agent to scupper a move,doesn't merit signing, or if they really thought that Rovers was a great career move, would bin the agent.Hmmmm

I would treat that latest excuse with a pinch of salt tbh, it's difficult to believe that we only became aware of any potential third party ownership issues more or less on the day of the alleged deal and if the player came from a Country where third party ownership is legal you'd have thought it would have been one of the first things we'd have checked  from the off like how much would the player cost and what would be his wage demands.

If we checked and were lied to, fair enough.  If it didn't occur to us to check, yet more incompetence on our part.

Two innovative new excuses to add to the list of reasons for deals falling through though

"Third party ownership issues we only found out about as he was about to board the plane".

"I need one in to convince the others of our intentions"

Keep 'em coming Tony!

At least someone in the creative department is earning their corn even if no-one in the recruitment department is.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Seeing that I can't understand why anyone wouldn't want to sign for him. ? 

Blimey talk about negative, I should think the second he meets an ambitious player the lad turns around and walks out the door.

it`s all about the clique with tony,if any prospective signing shows attitude,spirit or a bit of bedevilment in their meeting he sees them out the door faster than a jehovas witness

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OssyLad said:

That’s right he will be LAD, but a season out on loan,out of his comfort zone will do him the world of good 

Some players suit loans. I don’t believe Buckley is the type of player who would benefit from a loan personally. He’s not going to suddenly become strong and physical because he’s got bashed about in League One or Two, he is what he is and his football is much better suited to fringe Championship games than lower league hoof ball.

11 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

I thought it was a good interview. I think people are getting a little frustrated and lashing out! Over-tired perhaps?

I think its difficult getting quality players. It seems we're not looking at league one quality. Poor Tony looked tired. Gone are the days when players jumped on the chance to come to Rovers. I really hope we got a gem in Kaminski that will make our back line four better this season. 

• Like 2

Just now, JoeH said:

Some players suit loans. I don’t believe Buckley is the type of player who would benefit from a loan personally. He’s not going to suddenly become strong and physical because he’s got bashed about in League One or Two, he is what he is and his football is much better suited to fringe Championship games than lower league hoof ball.

it`s not a question of becoming big and strong,it`s about learning to look after yourself and getting to grips with becoming harder to knock off the ball,being loaned to preston helped beckham come to terms with the ugly side of the game ,he came back to utd a changed player physically,buckley at the moment is`nt ready for 1st team action imo,he is far to lightweight

• Like 2