BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

Those ever moving goal posts have taken another shuffle overnight.

Rich Sharpe now saying that if Williams stays it might just be one CB we are after along with a LB.

A couple of weeks ago it was at least 2 CBs, another GK and a LB with hopefully a CM and RB.

This is what they will now do. Gradually reduce the numbers and positions targeted until we reach a stage where 1 or 2 are celebrated as getting the business done.

I also expect the CB target to evaporate after Magloire or Wharton have a decent game.

I doubt we will see any mention of another keeper.

Having us on here.

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, Rochdale_rover said:

No way should buckley be sent out on loan.

This lad has something the rest of the team lacks.

In 5 minutes he makes more defence splitting passes than rothwell in 5 games 

I think you've picked the wrong midfielder to compare him to there, mate. 

Rothwells the only one we have WITH that pass in his locker.

26 minutes ago, RovingRover said:

So in other words Mowbray has failed with options 1, 2 and 3.

Screenshot_20200911-084712_Samsung Internet.jpg

There were never real options 1,2 & 3 IMO - some are just too polite to suggest it, that's not a criticism btw

We did have targets that we knew were highly unlikely to happen, all covered in the Mowbray Excuses Book Paragraphs 1-99++

Actually it's a Binder not a Booh, easier to add pages

27 minutes ago, blondie said:

I'm just waiting for the "Getting Derrick back in the side is like a new signing".

JH Rover and you nailed it. Williams will start the season with a half decent performance, so Mowbray will say ‘we’re only looking for one centre half now - Del has really made the position his own and his understanding with Lenihan is second to none’. Wharton will have a stormer in the cup, so then it’ll be ‘we’re now well stocked at centre half’. Expect similar guff about left back too even though Bell is one of the worst full backs I’ve seen in my time following Rovers. 

All so entirely predictable with us and transfer windows isn’t it. 

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 1

Why pay someone 15k pwk when Williams will stay and he's on 10.

That's the top and bottom of it same as last season when Mulgrew came back, well lets try him again and if not Derek is now a centre half anyway he tells me.

Lax, unambitious, easy street, skint or just plain scared of upsetting the lads. Either way it's groundhog day then when one of both 1 st choice get injured it's panic and heart in mouths time as the kids step in.

Play offs ? You're having a laugh.

• Like 1

If we don't sign any new players or new contracts to players by next summer our team will consist of...

Jordan Eastham, Thomas Kaminski, Hayden Carter, Scott Wharton, Darragh Lenihan, John Buckley, Tyrhys Dolan, Jacob Davenport, Lewis Travis, Adam Armstrong, Ben Brereton and Sam Gallagher.

That is 12 players out of our current crop of 25 1st team players including Williams and Mulgrew. A couple have the option of 12 month extensions.

Ryan Nyambe, Harry Chapman, Bradley Dack, Corry Evans, Lewis Holtby, Joe Rankin-Costello and Joe Rothwell all gone through expiration if contract.

Looking at the current situation you can't help but wonder whether this is a structured wind-down similar to that experienced by Wigan and Bolton during those clubs economic struggles.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, renrag said:

His mothers side of the family are massive Rovers fans. As a schoolboy he starred in the team one of my grandsons played for and he was playing a year above his age group. Everybody thought he had a glittering career ahead.

Basil still lives at Beardwood, don’t he?

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

Fantastic point Stuart. If only we all saw it through your eyes. The key components you missed there were context and personal opinions as well as your stated outlooks (optimists vs pragmatists).

So whilst you maybe don’t see the successes of the European scouting network, others may see the signing of Kaminski and the potential for more as “progress”.

We all judge based on what WE see, in our own context based on our own opinions. We deal with information differently.

For example - I think Mowbrays 2.5yr deal for Mulgrew was scandalous. Bordering on gross negligence because I genuinely think that extension was a little “wink wink” I’ll sort you one last big contract Charlie for staying with us and getting us up. This decision was terrible and is contributing to our financial pain. The manager should be taken to task for it.

Whereas, I genuinely don’t think selling Raya was the wrong decision. Raya was SOOO inconsistent. He obv wanted to go and we got £3m for him. Him being linked with Arsenal is not a sure sign that he’s suddenly become world class! There’s lots of reasons why deals happen. In this case the keeper coach at Arsenal is his mentor. But so what if he goes to them? There’s literally thousands of shite players who’ve signed for top teams and done nothing (I’m not saying Raya is shite btw). So what if he develops into a top keeper? Lots of players develop late. It’s just the way things are....the issue last season wasn’t selling Raya it was not properly replacing him imo.

The above shows how we can all see things completely differently. It’s not just about being eternally optimistic vs....you. 

What do you mean, so what if he develops into a top keeper? Many of us thought that was a given. Should we flog Nyambe, Lenham, Travis and Armstrong for 3 .million quid a piece as well? So what if they develop into top players!!

So to summarise, we sold our first choice keeper for a knockdown fee without sourcing a replacement first, under estimated the difficulty in getting a decent replacement and allegedly missed out on our targets, ended up with Brighton's fourth choice keeper on loan  who is quite possibly the worst professional goalie ever to don a pair of gloves and a little over 12 months later one of the six biggest Clubs in the Country is after our original keeper for 3x what we offloaded him for.

And you can't see a problem with that?

I know your role on here is to pop up every transfer window and praise everything that happens at the Club and try and get as many people onside as possible  but that's stretching it a bit even by your standards.

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 5