BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

1 minute ago, JHRover said:

And I think your point was that we couldn't compete with most teams in the Championship, which was proven to be incorrect as we are mid range on wages and can blow bottom end clubs like Preston away.

Sigh. I posted a link to a table that shows we are about 18th in the league for wages we pay and revenue we bring in. Hence we are in the bottom half of the table when it comes to financial muscle. And the only way we can 'blow' PNE out of the water is because Venky's give Mowbray money and add it to their own debt. Our income/expenditure is exactly the same difference as PNE's without Venky money. We pay £3m more in wages but bring in £3m more in revenue.

Waggott was obviously playing fast and loose with the term mid-table, and it was also said in 2018, which isn't the financial year we were discussing.  His exact quote was : “I would think we’re probably, league wise, 10th to 16th in terms of wage bills from talking to other clubs"      So he wasn't sure and was just guessing. The table provided to you the other week was factual. 

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/16986757.were-mid-table-wages---rovers-ceo-waggott/

14 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I'm not bothered how much we spend.

That's all you've moaned about all summer.

15 minutes ago, JHRover said:

We've had every excuse and reason known to man.

Another exaggeration. The only 'excuse' we've had is financial

16 minutes ago, JHRover said:

As I say, it matters not because the season is here, points are to be won and lost and we haven't done what we needed to.

The window shuts in a month. Very few teams have completed their transfer business. Neil for one  https://www.lep.co.uk/sport/football/preston-north-end/transfer-market-proving-difficult-admits-preston-north-end-boss-alex-neil-2968046

19 minutes ago, JHRover said:

No bonus points for trying and failing or for other clubs snatching players from us.

Irrelevant to the point you were making.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, JHRover said:

No club has has income. That is why FFP will be scrapped.

Hasn't stopped clubs signing players.

As above, we have made substantial wage savings. 

I didn't say we were close to Ayala. I was told he was training with us and accepted an offer from the Middle East. Maybe we offered him a deal, maybe we didn't, but always unlikely given what he was on at Middlesbrough.

Venkys like 'leasing' players. They don't like permanent signings. Who knows what logic they have.

You may prove to be right that FFP will be scrapped or the rules eased - but I don't think it's a given. It only happens if a majority of Championship clubs vote for it and even with no crowds I think there will be a number of clubs - like the promoted clubs, Norwich etc- for whom FFP is not an issue. They may see a competitive advantage in retaining the FFP rules as they are.

5 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Maybe it does.

Current odds for Championship. The fact we are just above Barnsley is pretty damning on our summer activity and a likely reflection of where this squad finishes - mid table at best. 

Screenshot_20200912-114227.png

Edited by Wing Wizard Windy Miller
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, JHRover said:

doesn't actually matter. All that matters is we haven't got business done or new players in the building.

Whatever the reason for it. The outcome is the same.

Exactly this.

Some posters seem to be judging our activity on players we allegedly narrowly missed out on.

You can only judge us on players who come in not one's who don't. It doesn't matter if we were after Messi and Bale or Kipre and Ayala if they don't come in, a failure to land them is still a failure.

On the question of our finances, if funds are limited you have to cut your cloth accordingly and hopefully be a bit smarter with your recruitment than anyone else and unearth hidden gems. Twas ever thus. You're not telling me there aren't up and coming youngsters in the lower leagues or across large parts of Europe who wouldn't be happy with the £10-£15 k p.w. we can offer or others who might be relative bargains due to their contractual situation and who would improve us.

• Like 2

Just now, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Current odds for Championship. The fact we are just above Barnsley is pretty damning on our summer activity and a likely reflection of where this squad finishes - mid table at best. 

Mate, we are football supporters and if on the opening day of the season we can't have a little bit of hope I don't see the point of doing it.

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Exactly this.

Some posters seem to be judging our activity on players we allegedly narrowly missed out on.

You can only judge us on players who come in not one's who don't. It doesn't matter if we were after Messi and Bale or Kipre and Ayala if they don't come in, a failure to land them is still a failure.

On the question of our finances, if funds are limited you have to cut your cloth accordingly and hopefully be a bit smarter with your recruitment than anyone else and unearth hidden gems. Twas ever thus. You're not telling me there aren't up and coming youngsters in the lower leagues or across large parts of Europe who wouldn't be happy with the £10-£15 k p.w. we can offer or others who might be relative bargains due to their contractual situation and who would improve us.

By the same token activity in a transfer window can only be judged at the end of the window rather than with weeks to go.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

I think it was John Williams who always said a clubs wage bill determined it's final league position. If we finish 15th then that's probably about right. Maybe we overachieved last season ?

Just now, Mashed Potatoes said:

Mate, we are football supporters and if on the opening day of the season we can't have a little bit of hope I don't see the point of doing it.

It's a bit difficult to look at today with optimism when we are well aware how short we are in certain areas. 

Realistically it's a squad either equal or worse off than last seasons, which finished 11th. Hardly sets the pulse racing does it? 

23 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well if Fulham was happy with us playing 60 or 70% of wages but then Bristol City came in and offered to pay in full then Fulham will cancelled our deal and push the player to go there. 

You speak like it's so easy to bring players. 

We have players in for medicals then gone elsewhere for different reasons so is that Rovers fault? 

YES!

IMO, failure to be realistic (you don't shop at Harrods and expect Home Bargains' prices), failure to be persuasive, failure to close the deal - there are a number of reasons, I think our recruitment process is an absolute shambles and indefensible.

• Like 5

Just now, Traviscon said:

It's a bit difficult to look at today with optimism when we are well aware how short we are in certain areas. 

Realistically it's a squad either equal or worse off than last seasons, which finished 11th. Hardly sets the pulse racing does it? 

And yet last week we matched the team that came 5th in the Premier League - sets my pulse racing.

1 minute ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

By the same token activity in a transfer window can only be judged at the end of the window rather than with weeks to go.

Maybe but if (and I'm not saying we will) we lose the first 3 or 4 games due to the fact we didn't get our ducks in a row in time for the start of the season that's a huge obstacle to overcome.

And it seemingly happens every year, not just this one.

4 minutes ago, Traviscon said:

In fairness,, we do seem to have changed the way we play. We've essentially been a counter-attacking team since Mowbray took over (apart from a few spells of shite 'possession' football)  but the Leicester game showed we'd adopted a more progressive 'Liverpool' type style (a lot more aggressive than the pass it along the half-way line slowly nonsense we watched last season)

You can do better with the same personnel if they are coached better and told to play in a different way. Here's hoping. 

Edited by Hoochie Bloochie Mama
  • Like 2

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Maybe but if (and I'm not saying we will) we lose the first 3 or 4 games due to the fact we didn't get our ducks in a row in time for the start of the season that's a huge obstacle to overcome.

And it seemingly happens every year, not just this one.

Yes it does happen almost every year now - regardless of who is presently employed at Ewood Park. That suggests to me that the problem is in India and criticism of the likes of Waggott and Mowbray is misplaced.