BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

1 hour ago, Moptop1 said:

Sadly Mike E my Father died of MND in May. The Conservatives don’t seem to see this as a terminal illness. They are cutting back on so much. I totally get your concern. 

Very sorry to hear of your loss pal. Lost my dad the same way in December, just around 2 years following diagnosis. 

found it absolutely ridiculous that MND sufferers weren’t put on shielding/vulnerable list given the breathing problems that the illness develops.

good man Mike E for your charitable donations. I will reciprocate to the deaf society in kind ?

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, SamTheShrew said:

Very sorry to hear of your loss pal. Lost my dad the same way in December, just around 2 years following diagnosis. 

found it absolutely ridiculous that MND sufferers weren’t put on shielding/vulnerable list given the breathing problems that the illness develops.

good man Mike E for your charitable donations. I will reciprocate to the deaf society in kind ?

I don't know wether you follow Rugby League but at half time in yesterdays Cas v Hull game on BBC TV they had a piece about Rob Burrow, the ex Leeds scrum half. He's another MND sufferer. He's one hell of a tough little guy but it was heartbreaking to watch the interview. It's a  cruel illness in one who should be in his prime with a wife and very young family.  

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

35 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Chucked £20 out tonight, sod the bet. Feeling in a good mood. £5 each to:

Diabetes UK

Alzheimer's Society

MND Association

NDCS

I'll do the same again if we finish above Boro come the season end. Screenshotted this post with an alarm as a reminder :)

Awesome mate. Love it and delighted you've donated to a cause so close to my heart.

38 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Diabetes UK

Alzheimer's Society

MND Association

NDCS

I'll do the same again if we finish above Boro come the season end. Screenshotted this post with an alarm as a reminder :)

Well done Mike. ???

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I don't know wether you follow Rugby League but at half time in yesterdays Cas v Hull game on BBC TV they had a piece about Rob Burrow, the ex Leeds scrum half. He's another MND sufferer. He's one hell of a tough little guy but it was heartbreaking to watch the interview. It's a very illness in one who should be in his prime with a wife and very young family.  

I was welling up watching it, utterly heartbreaking to see. Your heart goes out to him, his wife and kids.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Diabetes UK

Alzheimer's Society

MND Association

NDCS

Fantastic Mike E, I will do likewise & I'll double it in May if you win the bet, but please do remind me!! ?

Edit: Done

Edited by Atko's Engine
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I don't know wether you follow Rugby League but at half time in yesterdays Cas v Hull game on BBC TV they had a piece about Rob Burrow, the ex Leeds scrum half. He's another MND sufferer. He's one hell of a tough little guy but it was heartbreaking to watch the interview. It's a  cruel illness in one who should be in his prime with a wife and very young family.  

I’m not a rugby league fan no, but the BBC have been doing a great job of raising the profile of MND, regularly catching up with rob burrow, doddle weir and Steven Darby. Sadly there are more parallels with the speed of Rob Burrow’s deterioration and that of my dad compared to Doddie Weir. They all tackle it head on with a smile: huge credit to them.

one blessing, if you can call it that, is grieving during that person still being around. You can make memories. I did the Shrewsbury half marathon pushing my dad around only a month before he went. Great day out for all with such amazing support. My dad was an old PE teacher and yet it was the first half marathon he’d done!

apologies for derailing the transfer thread folks 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

What are you on about?

I said we needed at least 2 CB’s, one to start with Lenihan and one as back up. My comment was referring to one where someone said we already have a capable back up in Wharton. We can not have Wharton as first back up for a full season. No way.

43 minutes ago, Tugayisgod said:

A hunch

What I’ve seen of him at Rovers. We can’t go into this season targeting top 6 with a 22 year old who’s never played higher than league two as first reserve.

Edited by Mellor Rover

3 hours ago, Mike E said:

I'm deaf myself :) Deaf services have been stripped to the bone by Conservative austerity policy, with Deaf and SEN Schools closing, and even the century+ old East Lancs Deaf Society closing its doors last year.

Deaf children need help now more than ever, lest they get left behind by lack of access to education.

/preach

No real need for the gratuitous political barb but I like the idea. ?

I'll donate £10 now to the National Deaf Children's Society, £10 at the end of the season if we finish above Boro and, as I don't think that'll come in, £5 for each League goal Gallagher scores.

I'll probably be able to afford another £20 at the end of the season!

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, windymiller7 said:

Have a wander down to the Lord Nelson at Whittle next time you're up there. Be good to have a catch up again mate! ?

Not been in there for a long time the one i used as a local when i lived down that way is now a C0 OP ?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

What I’ve seen of him at Rovers. We can’t go into this season targeting top 6 with a 22 year old who’s never played higher than league two as first reserve.

Incredibly harsh.

But if he was a similar age or  younger coming here on loan  from a Premier League Club and had no top level experience I bet you'd be all over it!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

No real need for the gratuitous political barb but I like the idea. ?

I'll donate £10 now to the National Deaf Children's Society, £10 at the end of the season if we finish above Boro and, as I don't think that'll come in, £5 for each League goal Gallagher scores.

I'll probably be able to afford another £20 at the end of the season!

I'm in for a tenner as well.

I'll pass on the Gallagher one though i think he might notch ten this season !  I backed him for that last season mind you but like the manager i believe in second chances. Unlike the manager though i'd only ever have him up top never wide.

5 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Incredibly harsh.

But if he was a similar age or  younger coming here on loan  from a Premier League Club and had no top level experience I bet you'd be all over it!

Not even slightly. We need experience at the back. End of. Ayala and Cunningham are perfect in my opinion. Too many times we sign youngsters on loan/with a view of developing them. We need to sign some players this window ready to go straight in.