BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

7 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

It always, always depends on the legs. Nous can make up for that a fair bit, but given how many goals we seem to ship on counter attacks, I'd be very worried if any of our defenders got slower.

There's playing on, and there's being first choice. 15k pw or so for a third choice CB will be a problem...hopefully one we don't have to experience though, certainly could still be top notch by the end of his deal.

We've had some great older CBs in the past. Hopefully, as Ayala doesn't seem blessed with pace,  he becomes a Gayle/Moran type.

• Like 5

I thought there was a need for a cm even before Travis was injured! Not number 1 priority that's the defence but it isn't that pretty in centre midfield. 

For starters I don't think Johnson and Evans are that good. Evans often goes missing and Johnson seems to either have a good game or a shocker. Further evidence of our weak midfield is that throughout we've complained of players getting too much space and not being closed down. 

Debatable as their ability is, what's less contentious is their fitness. Holtby and Johnson seem gassed after 60 minutes and Holtby and Evans are pretty injury prone. Realistically even with Trav they struggle to make up the numbers for a whole season. Without him we're looking at the unfittest central midfield collection in Rovers history. 

I guess we have got Bennett and Rothwell who can slot in there but both seem to be needed (or used in Bennet's case as I don't like him as full back) elsewhere. And sure there are other big issues with the squad but if we want to compete for playoffs imo we can't get through a good chunk of the season with such poor quality cm. 

22 minutes ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

Garner loan would be my choice to cover Travis. If we get a left back and there's still money from a potential Josh King transfer then I'd go for Whiteman. 

Travis' injury may actually help us get a loan like Garner, as it now means whoever we bring in is more likely to play.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

Garner loan would be my choice to cover Travis. If we get a left back and there's still money from a potential Josh King transfer then I'd go for Whiteman. 

Im biased but BW and LT would be perfect central midfield partners.  A great investment and the best league 1 midfielder by a mile(imo) 

Come on Tony, get the chequebook out

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blue blood said:

I thought there was a need for a cm even before Travis was injured! Not number 1 priority that's the defence but it isn't that pretty in centre midfield. 

For starters I don't think Johnson and Evans are that good. Evans often goes missing and Johnson seems to either have a good game or a shocker. Further evidence of our weak midfield is that throughout we've complained of players getting too much space and not being closed down. 

Debatable as their ability is, what's less contentious is their fitness. Holtby and Johnson seem gassed after 60 minutes and Holtby and Evans are pretty injury prone. Realistically even with Trav they struggle to make up the numbers for a whole season. Without him we're looking at the unfittest central midfield collection in Rovers history. 

I guess we have got Bennett and Rothwell who can slot in there but both seem to be needed (or used in Bennet's case as I don't like him as full back) elsewhere. And sure there are other big issues with the squad but if we want to compete for playoffs imo we can't get through a good chunk of the season with such poor quality cm. 

Evans is very good, and out best run of 6 wins in 7 came with him playing. He reads the game brilliantly and defends well.

Johnson has been very disappointing.

I prefer JRC in CM.