BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

28 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I've not seen anything that stands out from JRC yet personally, but I'm prepared to give him time.

He's like a very poor mans Paul Warhurst for me (not necessarily an insult, as I think Warhurst was very, very good but for injuries).

JRC is still finding his feet at this level. From what I've seen he's a tidy player, technically, with a good footballing brain. Just lacks a little pace.

Personally I'd persist with him at AMR and see if he can settle into the role. If not he has value as a utility player, but I'd rather not resign him to that fate just yet.

• Like 2

Just now, Exiled_Rover said:

JRC is still finding his feet at this level. From what I've seen he's a tidy player, technically, with a good footballing brain. Just lacks a little pace.

Personally I'd persist with him at AMR and see if he can settle into the role. If not he has value as a utility player, but I'd rather not resign him to that fate just yet.

Agreed.

I'd drop Brereton and play Dolan LW, honestly Dolan is miles better than Brereton and he's played 2 games lol.

• Like 2

I would say the first three competitive games have told us the following

Positives

• We have an exciting talented set of young players who can pass and retain the ball superbly.
  • Holtby's new role looks perfect for him. Almost a bit Tugay-esque. Dolan has been revalation.
  • The pressing 433 formation looks a very good fit for us, though I do worry losing Travis could make it much less effective.
  • Kaminsky and the defence can play the ball out of the back very well

Concerns

• We have a real weakness down both full back positions as they push up so high in the 433. As the season wears on and other teams figure that out it could become a serious issue. If Newcastle had pinged the ball in behind the full back more we could have really struggled.
  • Kaminski has not looked convincing in terms of his shot stopping.
  • We dominate the ball and get into good attacking positions but struggle to create significant chances. Should anything happen to Armstrong we are in big trouble. 

Next steps

1. Get a left back who has good positioning, stamina and pace to recover as he will need it(!)
  2. Figure out how we can finish more chances. Really we need to sign some better strikers. But if we can't do that then its case of working with what we have. My key point is that whoever plays center forward (Armstrong, Brereton, Gallagher, Dack when he is back) has to spend the majority of his time in the box or on the shoulder of the opposing centrebackThe issue is all of those players with maybe the exception of Gallagher want to play deep and wide away from the box. And Gallagher, maybe against his will, has had a whole season playing on the wing so is hardly practiced at proper CF play. This has to be resolved. The only way forward for me is give Gallagher a run of games at CF once he is fit, and try and get the sort of form out of him that we saw when he was on loan here. Armstrong can go left, Dolan right, and Brereton can warm the bench.
  3. If we can get a good value loan get cover for Travis. However given the huge number of centre mids at the clubs really we should be able to survive if this is not possible. 
Edited by joey_big_nose
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Agreed.

I'd drop Brereton and play Dolan LW, honestly Dolan is miles better than Brereton and he's played 2 games lol.

I'd persist with Brereton for now.

Armstrong can only effectively play upfront - he's too limited a player to do anything else well at this level.

Flank him with Brereton and JRC. Have Dolan / Chapman as an option to come on at 60 minutes to change the game.

10 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

One thing you need at full back is pace. There aren't that many really good but slow full backs.

Just now, Exiled_Rover said:

Armstrong can only effectively play upfront - he's too limited a player to do anything else well at this level.

Flank him with Brereton and JRC. Have Dolan / Chapman as an option to come on at 60 minutes to change the game.

Dolan Dack Armstrong      

Mowbray's mini-marvels

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Fraserkirky said:

I'd prefer:

Buckley-Holtby-Rothwell

Dolan Brereton Armstrong

at home vs a side like Wycombe. 

Evans does have some merit, but I'd try to speed things up, Evans main attribute is ball retention, and regurgitating. 

Mm, There's not a tackle in that 6, apart from maybe Dolan. Who's going to get us the ball ? You can count on Wycombe wanting to make it an arm wrestle.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Why persist with Brereton, he's a league 2 player at best, imo.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Figure out how we can finish more chances. Really we need to sign some better strikers. But if we can't do that then its case of working with what we have. My key point is that whoever plays center forward (Armstrong, Brereton, Gallagher, Dack when he is back) has to spend the majority of his time in the box or on the shoulder of the opposing centrebackThe issue is all of those players with maybe the exception of Gallagher want to play deep and wide away from the box. And Gallagher, maybe against his will, has had a whole season playing on the wing so is hardly practiced at proper CF play. This has to be resolved. The only way forward for me is give Gallagher a run of games at CF once he is fit, and try and get the sort of form out of him that we saw when he was on loan here. Armstrong can go left, Dolan right, and Brereton can warm the bench.

One thing we can do is to drop Brereton and accept Mowbray dropped an irretrievable clanger. In a few weeks time maybe we'll play Arma in the middle with Dack just behind him and Doran or Rothwell operating wide.

Has any player at Rovers ever had more chances than Brereton? I feel sorry for him.So hard to attempt to live up to a fee of that size without the ability.

For me, I agree with you its Gallagher every time at the moment. No, he's not great but at least he puts himself about and does something.

At the moment we are starting every game with 10 men. If someone is sent off in the first minute you don't expect to win do you?

Let's stop pretending that Brereton is a potential talent still finding his feet.

If we dominate games but make critical mistakes at the back, yet fail to take chances up-front, there is only one place we are going.

Brereton is not the only problem we have but he is the biggest----by some margin.

• Like 4

So left back next then, I guess that we are looking abroad ?

Any of these 3 freebies within our budget ?

https://www.transfermarkt.com/victor-alvarez/profil/spieler/99355

https://www.transfermarkt.com/martin-frydek/profil/spieler/146710

https://www.transfermarkt.com/theo-pellenard/profil/spieler/238716

Don't know much about them to be honest, but atleast have played on a higher level than Bell..

3 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Pro's - He's got a fair bit of pace about him, reasonably tall, definitely likes a tackle, senses danger, decent close control and spacial awareness, good right footed passer of the ball.. Cons - goes to ground a bit too easily, no left foot to speak of, almost everything in that clip was right footed play, No evidence of his ability in the air to win contested headers in the clip.

8 minutes ago, 47er said:

One thing we can do is to drop Brereton and accept Mowbray dropped an irretrievable clanger. In a few weeks time maybe we'll play Arma in the middle with Dack just behind him and Doran or Rothwell operating wide.

Has any player at Rovers ever had more chances than Brereton? I feel sorry for him.So hard to attempt to live up to a fee of that size without the ability.

For me, I agree with you its Gallagher every time at the moment. No, he's not great but at least he puts himself about and does something.

At the moment we are starting every game with 10 men. If someone is sent off in the first minute you don't expect to win do you?

Let's stop pretending that Brereton is a potential talent still finding his feet.

If we dominate games but make critical mistakes at the back, yet fail to take chances up-front, there is only one place we are going.

Brereton is not the only problem we have but he is the biggest----by some margin.

Anyone that insists Rothwell should play out wide after mountains of evidence that it's not his best position instantly loses credibility with me.

It's a game of opinions, yes, but he ran the show from CM last night (when Mowbray dropped him back there). 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Pro's - He's got a fair bit of pace about him, reasonably tall, definitely likes a tackle, senses danger, decent close control and spacial awareness, good right footed passer of the ball.. Cons - goes to ground a bit too easily, no left foot to speak of, almost everything in that clip was right footed play, No evidence of his ability in the air to win contested headers in the clip.

Looks a good player, and easily slots into the back four in some of those clips. The new Mokoena!

18 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Why persist with Brereton, he's a league 2 player at best, imo.

I'd persist with him because he's been our best attacking player during the pre-season / early season. He's a confidence player - the worst thing Mowbray could do now is bench him the second Dack / Gallagher become available for selection.

He's improved a hell of a lot since lockdown - a) by bulking up and b) by getting a consistent run of games (and not hearing a barrage of tuts / sighs whenever he loses the ball from the Ewood faithful)

I'd reward him by giving him an extended run in the side. I wouldn't measure his success on his goals return either - he brings other players into the game. 

If after 5 games it doesn't work, you can go back with trying to shoehorn Dolan / Gallagher / Dack / Armstrong / JRC / Rothwell / Chapman / A.N. Other into a coherent attacking force. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I would never play Brereton again!

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Swanson said:

So left back next then, I guess that we are looking abroad ?

Any of these 3 freebies within our budget ?

https://www.transfermarkt.com/victor-alvarez/profil/spieler/99355

https://www.transfermarkt.com/martin-frydek/profil/spieler/146710

https://www.transfermarkt.com/theo-pellenard/profil/spieler/238716

Don't know much about them to be honest, but atleast have played on a higher level than Bell..

You'd imagine we have SOME money to spend, right?

• Like 1

Just now, Trinidad Rover said:

An 'axe' type player would be ideal in this current side. 

I still remember that game Mokoena beat up Chelskis midfield. Jose was not happy. They were the day!

Mokoena would be our best player.

Albeit, that's more of an indication of how far standards have fallen. 

If Garner is still on the table for a loan, I'd snap their hands off. 

• Like 3