BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

1 hour ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Technically Travis could play AMR / AML too - why isn't anyone clamouring for him to play there?

Is it perhaps, because his best position is CM and our CM is weak?

Same applies for Rothwell. 

I don't know what JRC's position is (I haven't seen enough of him) - but to me he's looked the best playing out wide and providing some balance to the side. He needs to be given a run of games at ONE position though - he's played 5 different ones for us since lockdown (LB, RB, AMC, AML and AMR). It does nothing for his development. We're not Holland, this isn't Total Football. 

All the points you've made are valid, football is about opinions. But none of them can turn Brereton into a footballer worse pursuing with. If we'd got him a on a free you wouldn't hesitate.

Because Mowbray paid so much for him, people want so much for it not to be a disaster. It is one and it continues every time we play him. Ten men.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Pro's - He's got a fair bit of pace about him, reasonably tall, definitely likes a tackle, senses danger, decent close control and spacial awareness, good right footed passer of the ball.. Cons - goes to ground a bit too easily, no left foot to speak of, almost everything in that clip was right footed play, No evidence of his ability in the air to win contested headers in the clip.

We need to make sure any midfielder that comes in has a physical presence and preferably decent in the air.  Nzonzi type.  We're a small team which is half the reason we struggle with set pieces.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Again, it's a game of opinions.

Last night, from memory, against a PL outfit:

• Holtby's sitter was taken off his toes (although whether he scores that is another matter - he at least was in a good position)
  • Played a lovely pass across the 6 yard box that Armstrong / Dolan conspired to fluff (before Rothwell eventually blazed over the bar)
  • Won the header from the late corner to set up Williams' third fluffed chance (which he also blazed over the bar)
  • His parried shot should have been slotted home by JRC, if he was more aware (fell to Bell instead, who drew a save)

Again, maybe I'm just imagining things.

I admit for a £7m signing, especially at our level, you'd hope for a Championship beater out of the box. But we've not received that - he's an IKEA player - we've had to assemble him and, quite frankly, he's starting to be useful. 

Not saying you are imagining things at all - simply goals scored and involved in are good indicators of a striker/attacker's ability! 

Nice to see a few useful moments when Bereton contributed - it makes a chamgr from nothing. Is it enough improvement? I'm not convinced. I would suggest most decent players would have a much longer list of positives than the 4 moments you mention. Goodness any half decent striker would want much more influence than that. Or alternatively be clinical and do not much bar putting chances away. But he's not that kind of player either. 

I'm with you on what's expected on a 7 million signing but neither of us are suggesting he is worth that or looking anywhere near justifying his fee. The fee is on TM. The question is whether he is good enough to be one of our front 3 and I honestly don't think he has enough ability to impact games to the level desired. A year on loan would do him.the world of good and be make or break elsewhere without harming Rovers chances. 

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Mm, There's not a tackle in that 6, apart from maybe Dolan. Who's going to get us the ball ? You can count on Wycombe wanting to make it an arm wrestle.

A bit light for sure, but still would rather those three than Johnson plodding around slowing everything down. 

• Like 1

I know Mowbray has said he is prioritising another keeper, a left back and a central midfielder, but I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see a late move for another forward. 
We are in need of one, and this is an area Venky’s historically don’t mind funding.

Just a hunch, but I could see Mowbray making a case to them, but only once all his other business is done, and them coughing up. Their is often talk of this, but if he were to do it before addressing the other positions I think he’d be told you’ve had your lot. Could be some clever manoeuvring by him, but it’s to be hoped any signing is a big improvement on the previous wastes of money.

As others have said it's all about opinions, but for me Brereton has looked a much better player and has contributed to the team more so far in the opening two games than JRC, yet people are arguing that Brereton needs to be dropped whilst JRC needs to be given a run of games to show what he can do.

I'm guessing that's because JRC is seen as a young player, and Brereton as an established one but the reality is that the two are the same age (3 months between them). I know that Brereton cost a considerable amount of money, but the reality is that he is a young player and we need to view him as that - raw and with potential to get better. Yes, he'll have some bad games (hopefully amongst some good ones), and he is not the finished article, but I honestly believe that, as he develops, in a couple of years time we will have a very good player on our hands

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

I know Mowbray has said he is prioritising another keeper, a left back and a central midfielder, but I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see a late move for another forward. 
We are in need of one, and this is an area Venky’s historically don’t mind funding.

Just a hunch, but I could see Mowbray making a case to them, but only once all his other business is done, and them coughing up. Their is often talk of this, but if he were to do it before addressing the other positions I think he’d be told you’ve had your lot. Could be some clever manoeuvring by him, but it’s to be hoped any signing is a big improvement on the previous wastes of money.

He has to sell a forward before bringing in another one.

13 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I think that might be wishful thinking. I think that when Dack does return, he will go with Dack as a false 9, Armstrong left, Gallagher right, and then when that doesnt work, maybe revert back to 4-2-3-1, with Gallagher still wide.

I think him reverting to 4-2-3-1 might be the wishful thinking.

Breretons price tag in my opinion goes for him as much as it goes against him. Because of it, he has perhaps got more game time than his performances have warranted to date. Also, because people are so desperate for him to do well to justify the fee, if he does a nice run or something very small, people get more excited than if it was anyone else.

The thing is, to warrant a place, he has to contribute goals. I don't think he will ever become prolific but he needs to at least chip in. Even if he gets 8-10 in a 46 game season, its not remarkable but if he is also is assisting, is taking people on, and Armstrong and Dack are the main 2 goalscorers getting the ma. It is infuriating to see him well outside the box when we have the ball near the oppositions goal. He cant continue to have reviews of, "went on a couple of nice runs but missed an open net," " went on a couple of nice runs but kicked out and got sent off," "went on a couple of nice runs but fell over the ball trying to take it round the keeper when gifted with a 1 on 1" and "went on a couple of nice runs but when the ball dropped to him he took too long and got tackled."

I dont think he is capable out wide but his positioning and lack of bravery last night when he was played centrally was absolutely infuriating. In the 4-3-3 I do think that if he does play centrally we will be totally devoid of any goal threat. There is no way that it was a strategical ploy to have him stood so far away from the danger zone every single time.

Just now, bluebruce said:

I think him reverting to 4-2-3-1 might be the wishful thinking.

I dont think Dack would work as a number 9, then again, Gallagher out wide never worked and he continued to play it stubbornly!

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, DaveyB said:

As others have said it's all about opinions, but for me Brereton has looked a much better player and has contributed to the team more so far in the opening two games than JRC, yet people are arguing that Brereton needs to be dropped whilst JRC needs to be given a run of games to show what he can do.

I'm guessing that's because JRC is seen as a young player, and Brereton as an established one but the reality is that the two are the same age (3 months between them). I know that Brereton cost a considerable amount of money, but the reality is that he is a young player and we need to view him as that - raw and with potential to get better. Yes, he'll have some bad games (hopefully amongst some good ones), and he is not the finished article, but I honestly believe that, as he develops, in a couple of years time we will have a very good player on our hands

Incorrect, JRC has an assist. 

Brereton has nothing.

So really JRC has contributed more than Brereton

33 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Any out there that take your fancy? Realistic I mean.

That Bonne at Charlton is attracting interest, think he got 11 goals in 30 appearances last season. Think he is a decent age too - though I don't really know much more about him. 

• Like 1

Just now, RoversClitheroe said:

Incorrect, JRC has an assist. 

Brereton has nothing.

So really JRC has contributed more than Brereton

Is it as black or white as that? Brereton took 2 players on and pulled a ball back for a goal v Doncaster which Armstrong couldnt finish first time, and Rankin Costello scored. A great bit of play but not an assist in the record books.

Rankin Costello played a simple 5 yard pass and Johnson scored from 25 yards with a big goalkeeping error. 

I think the only real statistic that you can really treat with any objectivity is goals scored.

Assists are of course important but in this instance, an assist isnt a straightforward assist.

And of course, when you start looking at pass completions etc, they all need to be taken with a massive pinch of salt due to various factors, for example the style and quality of the side. Put Adarabioyo in Wycombes team and his pass success rate would be lower than Derrick Williams for us.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

Looks like arsenal realise like many on here that Raya is worth far less than the muted £10m plus being banded around!

Or less than what Brentford actually want. I get the sense reading between the lines that they want more than 10 but 10 is about Arsenal's valuation.

46 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Any out there that take your fancy? Realistic I mean.

That Bonne at Charlton is attracting interest, think he got 11 goals in 30 appearances last season. Think he is a decent age too - though I don't really know much more about him. 

Yeah, I think Bonne did well at Orient previously too. I thought Marcus Forss might have been a goer, largely due to him being with HSH. Did well at Wimbledon last year, but looks like he’s in and around the Brentford team now with their front line being picked apart.

A premier league loan wouldn’t surprise me... can’t really name any names as I’m well out of the loop with the Prem. I wouldn’t be averse to a move for Joe Garner, but doesn’t fit the model at all.

• Like 1