BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

Which is kinda funny as I suspect he would be better further up. Has all the tools to be an Nzonzi type player, defensively he is solid but not convinced yet he is ever going to be truly top drawer at stopping the ball landing in the net. Has a lot to learn, but he can really slice a defence from deep if he was a DM.

Wasn't Lenihan original a centre mid? 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

To some extent but he's not physical enough to play up front in the middle for me. Plus he's the only one of our 3 strikers that's proven he can score from that wide position.  

I think he is adding this. He has won a few flick ons in the first couple of games this year and looks as though he's using his body to shield the ball well. By far our best central striker. 

14 minutes ago, Butty said:

When he made his first few appearances for the first team under Bowyer (I think) he definitely played in centre mid. 

Yes he was. I think he played midfield throughout the youth career as well as some senior appearances. He needed some persuasion to become a defender.

Far better center-back than midfielder. Would probably a L1/L2 midfield workhorse if not.

2 hours ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

When Gally is fit I'm convinced he'll go central with Arma wide left.  

I'm calling Dack as one of the 3 midfielders -when he's fit. 

I just can't see any manager wanting Dack in a middle 3 when he scores so many goals.  Reckon when everyone's fit/bought it will be something like :

Kaminski

Nyambe.   Lenihan.    Ayala.  Cunningham?

Travis.  Holtby.  Johnson

Dolan.     Dack.   Armstrong.

Subs : Pears?, Williams, Rothwell, Evans, JRC, Gallagher, Brereton

Decent team that. Though it has to be said a bit weird. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

I think he is adding this. He has won a few flick ons in the first couple of games this year and looks as though he's using his body to shield the ball well. By far our best central striker. 

But also the only one who can play wide.  Dack said Arma cutting in from the left was how they worked best together.

5 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I just can't see any manager wanting Dack in a middle 3 when he scores so many goals.  Reckon when everyone's fit/bought it will be something like :

Kaminski

But Dack is still  a goal threat from the middle.  As he was at Gillingham.

We've coped without Dacks goals for a while.  Putting him in the middle offers another goal scoring threat. 

Edited by Wing Wizard Windy Miller

Just now, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

But Dack is still  a goal threat from the middle.  As he was at Gillingham.

I can't really comment from his time at Gillingham, didn't see it.

What I do know is Dack scores the vast majority of his goals in the box. Hes a poacher really. I can't see how that meshes with him running miles around the centre of the pitch manically closing down in a 3 man midfield. 

• Like 2

Just now, joey_big_nose said:

Primarily because he's more useful in the front three scoring goals that digging around the midfield tackling. Also Holtby for me has a better pass on him.

Dack needs to roam and arrive in the box no matter which formation. His worst spell was when he was either a striker or man-marked playing of the forward. I think our style is a bit more varied now which should suit Dack. But there is a real chance the balance of the team can be upset when he is back. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, joey_big_nose said:

What I do know is Dack scores the vast majority of his goals in the box. Hes a poacher really. I can't see how that meshes with him running miles around the centre of the pitch manically closing down in a 3 man midfield. 

Can probably play as an 8 with two sitters, but then you need your wingers to track back, which for many of them are not their strongest quality.

• Like 1

Just now, briansol said:

Can probably play as an 8 with two sitters, but then you need your wingers to track back, which for many of them are not their strongest quality.

Yeah, and also that means you lose the sort of Tugay role Holby has been playing where he picks it up from the back 4 and sprays it around. 

Mowbray has shown before he is happy to play Dack as a striker. If we are still 433 when he comes back from injury I am certain that's what he will do.

2 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Ideally he operates in a free role within the 3.  That may mean no Holtby.  Running with  the ball  from deep or arriving late in the box.  As Briansol mentioned. Dack wasn't good as a false 9 up top.  Just didn't work. 

That's if TM sticks with 433.  He may well tinker things!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Kaminski

12m in strikers on the bench - sounds good at least ???

• Backroom

Interesting that nobody has signed Marcus Maddison yet. As far as I can tell he's still without a club. Wonder what's stopping somebody from signing him? Is his attitude really that bad? That or his agent is making ridiculous wage demands.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Which is kinda funny as I suspect he would be better further up. Has all the tools to be an Nzonzi type player, defensively he is solid but not convinced yet he is ever going to be truly top drawer at stopping the ball landing in the net. Has a lot to learn, but he can really slice a defence from deep if he was a DM.

I agree, he does have the tools to be a quality DM, fans at WBA said the same the season before too. Just fairly sure I have read that he sees himself as a CB and nothing else.

59 minutes ago, Roverthechimp said:

12m in strikers on the bench - sounds good at least ???

That is a decent team but how many times would injuries disrupt it? Middle 3--Travis injured, Holtby and Johnson injury prone and Johnson's form is very erratic.

We don't know in what shape Dack will be (no pun intended!) and as you point out, we haven't got Cunningham as yet.

However i do agree that if that team turned out regularly we'd do quite well.

5 minutes ago, DE. said:

Interesting that nobody has signed Marcus Maddison yet. As far as I can tell he's still without a club. Wonder what's stopping somebody from signing him? Is his attitude really that bad? That or his agent is making ridiculous wage demands.

Is he good enough for the championship? Too expensive for league one sides with the wage cap ?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DE. said:

Odd isnt it? Obviously a good L1 player but struggled at Hull in the Championship (though they were in freefall having lost their two best players). Probably a combination of all the above. Probably thinks he deserves a Championship club/wedge but not many takers due to wage demands/attitude. His ego probably wouldnt allow him to drop back down to L1 and there is also the wage cap. 

• Backroom
Just now, Beanie01289 said:

Is he good enough for the championship? Too expensive for league one sides with the wage cap ?

I was under the impression there were a few Championship clubs interested - you'd think on a free someone would take a punt, as his wages surely wouldn't be that high. Goes without saying it's a very bad time to become a free agent with COVID having a major financial impact on all EFL clubs and the salary cap being imposed in L1 & L2.