BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

• Backroom
Just now, JacknOry said:

Odd isnt it? Obviously a good L1 player but struggled at Hull in the Championship (though they were in freefall having lost their two best players). Probably a combination of all the above. Probably thinks he deserves a Championship club/wedge but not many takers due to wage demands/attitude. His ego probably wouldnt allow him to drop back down to L1 and there is also the wage cap. 

He only ended up appearing 7 times for Hull and from recollection didn't look very impressive when we played them either. I thought he'd find a club fairly quickly but something is obviously amiss there. Don't think we'll be seeing him at Rovers regardless!

33 minutes ago, DE. said:

Interesting that nobody has signed Marcus Maddison yet. As far as I can tell he's still without a club. Wonder what's stopping somebody from signing him? Is his attitude really that bad? That or his agent is making ridiculous wage demands.

A few weeks ago I saw he was calling himself the most unwanted man in football or something, and basically tweeting a reminder that he is still a footballer. He sounded pretty desperate to get set back up with a club, so presumably his agent is making things difficult (which I'd call 'time to get a new agent' if I were him). You do wonder if he has managed to develop himself a bit of a reputation as trouble or something on the grapevine.

He can't be judged off a handful of games at a struggling club. It takes time to settle to a better league. He did score a goal too. Player-wise I'd certainly still have a look at him if the wages were cheap, he boasted fantastic stats for years just a league below, seems impossible that he doesn't have at least something to offer at this one.

Edited by bluebruce

• Backroom
Just now, bluebruce said:

A few weeks ago I saw he was calling himself the most unwanted man in football or something, and basically tweeting a reminder that he is still a footballer. He sounded pretty desperate to get set back up with a club, so presumably his agent is making things difficult (which I'd call 'time to get a new agent' if I were him). You do wonder if he has managed to develop himself a bit of a reputation as trouble or something on the grapevine.

He can't be judged off a handful of games at a struggling club. It takes time to settle to a better league. Player-wise I'd certainly still have a look at him if the wages were cheap, he boasted fantastic stats for years just a league below, seems impossible that he doesn't have at least something to offer at this one.

We both know that as soon as TM saw all of those tattoos Maddison's name was hastily scrubbed from the shortlist. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

He can't be judged off a handful of games at a struggling club. It takes time to settle to a better league. He did score a goal too. Player-wise I'd certainly still have a look at him if the wages were cheap, he boasted fantastic stats for years just a league below, seems impossible that he doesn't have at least something to offer at this one.

yup just read that - https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/marcus-maddison-says-hes-received-18756502

• Like 1

3 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

I just can't see any manager wanting Dack in a middle 3 when he scores so many goals.  Reckon when everyone's fit/bought it will be something like :

Kaminski

Nyambe.   Lenihan.    Ayala.  Cunningham?

Travis.  Holtby.  Johnson

Dolan.     Dack.   Armstrong.

Subs : Pears?, Williams, Rothwell, Evans, JRC, Gallagher, Brereton

Decent team that. Though it has to be said a bit weird. 

Isn't it funny - we all watch the same team each week, but my side would be massively different to yours.

I'd do something like:

Pre-Dack

Travis, Holtby, Rothwell

JRC, Armstrong, Brereton

Post-Dack

Travis, Holtby, Rothwell

Dack

Brereton, Armstrong.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Isn't it funny - we all watch the same team each week, but my side would be massively different to yours.

I'd do something like:

Pre-Dack

Travis, Holtby, Rothwell

JRC, Armstrong, Brereton

Post-Dack

Travis, Holtby, Rothwell

Dack

Brereton, Armstrong.

Always surprised how underrated JRC is. He's our best left back, right back and right wing player imo.

3 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Post-Dack

Travis, Holtby, Rothwell

Dack

Brereton, Armstrong.

This is the exact front 6 I think was the plan. Its really nicely balanced as well. Travis and Rothwell provide the legs, and Holtby growing into the new midfield general role. Brereton and Armstrong need to get a partnership going here.

Edited by Fraserkirky
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

I just can't see any manager wanting Dack in a middle 3 when he scores so many goals.  Reckon when everyone's fit/bought it will be something like :

Kaminski

Nyambe.   Lenihan.    Ayala.  Cunningham?

Travis.  Holtby.  Johnson

Dolan.     Dack.   Armstrong.

Subs : Pears?, Williams, Rothwell, Evans, JRC, Gallagher, Brereton

Decent team that. Though it has to be said a bit weird. 

Too many players not out of position for TM to pick that side. Not much hold up play in that front 3 though. 

4 hours ago, Vilesinner said:

Always surprised how underrated JRC is. He's our best left back, right back and right wing player imo.

Better at right back than Nyambe? No chance

Best left back? Possibly, Bell is naff but he is left footed. JRC isnt great defensively.

Right wing? Only have a couple of games playing there to judge him but he didnt exactly set the world alight playing there. Hasn't created much from the wing in the first team.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Odd isnt it? Obviously a good L1 player but struggled at Hull in the Championship (though they were in freefall having lost their two best players). Probably a combination of all the above. Probably thinks he deserves a Championship club/wedge but not many takers due to wage demands/attitude. His ego probably wouldnt allow him to drop back down to L1 and there is also the wage cap. 

I was listening to an old podcast (Undr the Cosh) and they had Gary Roberts on. Very candid but what a bellend. Drink, drugs and gambling were his only vices - and he has no regrets “because he really enjoyed himself” he explained it as he took another swig from a pint that was stored below the table (I’m guessing it was on a tray of six given he was a 10-20 can kind of guy). It does open your eyes to some of the “characters” in the game who literally piss away their talent. I sometimes think that fans should be told why players are dropped as it might provide a different perspective on managers’ personnel decisions.

And I’m not saying Maddison has any such vices just that you never know because the ‘football family’ always keeps these things in-house - maybe because they are a big part of the problem. Pressure, youth, and money are a bad combination without good advice. All footballers under 21 should get ‘pocket money’ and some kind of investment fund instead of huge wages.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Vilesinner said:

Mowbray says his best position is outside left.

He's not better than Nyambe and how you can make that claim after seeing him a grand total of no times (?) in a competitive match at RB I just don't know?

• Like 2

Pro/Con the two formations and I think 4-3-3 wins out, just.

4-2-3-1

PRO's:
More defensively solid
Familiar formation for most of the squad
Suits Bradley Dack better
Suits Lenihan & Ayala partnership better (as it's deeper)

CON's:
Less of a high press with only one advanced forward
Doesn't suit Adam Armstrong as well
Where does Lewis Holtby fit in?
Could be seen as going backwards
We don't have a competent enough striker to play alone up top

4-3-3

PRO's:
Much higher press
Suits Adam Armstrong better
Suits Lewis Holtby better
More attacking full-backs
Creates more realistic/appropriate chances for Sam Gallagher

CON's:
Leaves Ayala & Lenihan exposed
Doesn't suit Bradley Dack
Travis injured so relies on three lesser midfielders
Less defensively solid

2 hours ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Best left back? Possibly, Bell is naff but he is left footed. JRC isnt great defensively.

Bell's left-footedness is his greatest weakness. He can't do anything other than play simple backwards wall-passes at left-back because he has no right-foot to use to cut inside and play a long ball.

JRC at left-back gets forward, cuts inside on his right like Arma and gets a cross in. Bell could never.

14 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Pro/Con the two formations and I think 4-3-3 wins out, just.

4-2-3-1

PRO's:
More defensively solid
Familiar formation for most of the squad
Suits Bradley Dack better
Suits Lenihan & Ayala partnership better (as it's deeper)

CON's:
Less of a high press with only one advanced forward
Doesn't suit Adam Armstrong as well
Where does Lewis Holtby fit in?
Could be seen as going backwards
We don't have a competent enough striker to play alone up top

4-3-3

PRO's:
Much higher press
Suits Adam Armstrong better
Suits Lewis Holtby better
More attacking full-backs
Creates more realistic/appropriate chances for Sam Gallagher

CON's:
Leaves Ayala & Lenihan exposed
Doesn't suit Bradley Dack
Travis injured so relies on three lesser midfielders
Less defensively solid

Dack is our BEST player by a country mile, let's not forget that.

• Like 3

I don't even think there is any discussion about Dack coming straight back into the squad is there? He scores goals, and that's a damn good trait to give away.

I think Dack, Armstrong, Brereton, Dolan, Chapman, JRC, Gallagher can all operate as our front 4 or 3 if you will.

Whilst you have Holtby, Johnson, Evans, Travis and Rothwell as the middle 3 or 2 depending on the game.

Seems clear cut to me. If Dack starts then he plays centrally and up top, but his game relies on the likes of Armstrong, Gallagher and Brereton winning the ball for him and putting it in behind the defence or the wide players putting it across the box low. Graham will be a big miss to Dack's game but if he is as good as we think he is he'll adapt. 

Dack in behind Gallagher and Armstrong is a good set up on paper as big 6 foot Gallagher should be winning the ball and holding it up for the likes of Dack and Armstrong to play. Unfortunately though Gallagher doesn't strike me as wanting to be that guy. 

1 minute ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I don't even think there is any discussion about Dack coming straight back into the squad is there?

Obviously. The discussion is about where he fits best, not whether we should even try to fit him, of course we should.

9 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Maddisons problem is he is a complete and utter bellend, and that baggage will put a lot of people off signing him good stats or not Hull didn't see enough in him to keep him on

Edited by PeteJD13
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Trinidad Rover said:

TM confirms Travis will be out for a few months. Bad bad news and surely its a priority to get someone in to fill that role, particularly when Johnson/Evans/Holtby are all made of glass. 

Not been impressed with Davenport at all in the 15 minutes he's played in two years.

Has to be Davenport’s time now. He Has a chance to stake a claim for the position while Evans and Travis are out.

Definitely agree that with Evans/Travis being out we can’t solely rely on Johnson and Davenport and need to bring in another quality signing in CM.

Desperately need to bring in a LB and CM now if we want to seriously challenge for top 6.

• Like 1