BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

19 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Raya wanted to leave after being dropped and publicly criticised by his manager - completely understandable.

Raya did have/still has huge potential - he's still very young for a keeper. Definitely a mistake selling him - and I thought so at the time. Even worse was how we replaced him.

Raya was dropped because he made mistakes. Frequently. I don’t think there were many protests when he got dropped. 

Walton was definitely a downgrade and we shouldn’t have sold Raya without a decent replacement lined up. However, I can understand why he was sold in the first place. Frankly I’m very surprised that a top side wants him. 

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, unsall said:

Sharpe knows more than you think, the difference is, he won’t share info until the club say so, pretty standard for journalists on local papers, otherwise he wouldn’t get any info.

Sharpe gets told what the club wants to tell him. Which is pretty minimal. 

• Like 2

I'd be looking to move Rothwell to a left wing back and potentially play a back 5 if we can lure someone like Tosin back. Failing that, moving Rothwell to centre mid. I'd have no worries that he'd be better than Bell as a left wing back. 

Just now, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

You don't know that. 

You dont quit, are you not bored yet? 

Do you think the club has really told Sharpe the sell on for the Raya deal?

As i find it rather tedious when trawling through comments of people arguing, im going to leave it there for the sake of everyone else. 

9 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

Raya was dropped because he made mistakes. Frequently. I don’t think there were many protests when he got dropped. 

Walton was definitely a downgrade and we shouldn’t have sold Raya without a decent replacement lined up. However, I can understand why he was sold in the first place. Frankly I’m very surprised that a top side wants him. 

Doesn’t matter if you are surprised or not, they do. Which makes our small sale fee and (maybe 10%) look a real poor deal.

Top sides hoover up talent, and he’ll probably spend the next 3 years farmed out on loan. ‘So what?’ Brentford will think, they’ve still trousered the big fee (90% of it too by the looks of it)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wood26 said:

Ronaldo scores 1 in 40 fee kicks, but when he does twitter goes wild!

Holtby should of scored, wasn’t surprised he didn’t.

Lets get Dacky back.

Poor example. It would be ridiculous to describe him missing a free kick as a sitter.

Holtby could have scored. There's no should about it. His technique was solid, he was just a little unlucky.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Wood26 said:

I don’t know a Rovers fan that didn’t want Gallagher or Chapman. Cunningham injury was unfortunate. Few of the others like Leutwiler did their jobs as back ups. I personally rate Bradley Johnson, think he was an improvement on what we had.

Its game of opinions though. For every criticism of £7 million on Brereton I see no praise on £1.7 million for Dack and Armstrong.

I definitely didnt want Gallagher and I wasnt on my own. To be fair even chaddy the biggest defender of all things Rovers admitted that buying him over other more pressing positions was the wrong call. Even as an individual hes never warranted a 5m price tag or even close to it. It was a lazy purchase.

Chapman again split opinion, I didnt want him because he had been injury prone and I knew Mowbray clearly didnt trust him to start games and was right on both.

Leutwiler wasnt competent back up, when he played he was out of his depth. And Johnson has been poor more often than good, not sure he starts with everyone fit.

Total nonsense that no one is willing to praise the manager for Dack and Armstrong, who definitely cost more than 1.7m, wasnt Dack 750m and Armstrong 3m? But ultimately there is no scope for debate because everyone agrees that they were good signings. No one says that they arent.

Whereas some people try to defend even the most obvious poor transfers that Mowbray has made. 

13 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Doesn’t matter if you are surprised or not, they do. Which makes our small sale fee and (maybe 10%) look a real poor deal.

Top sides hoover up talent, and he’ll probably spend the next 3 years farmed out on loan. ‘So what?’ Brentford will think, they’ve still trousered the big fee (90% of it too by the looks of it)

Good deal for us. Good deal for Brentford. Poor deal for Arsenal.

• Like 1

My belief is that Mowbray and Waggott thought Christmas had come early when Brentford came along with multi millions for Raya. 

Mowbray probably couldn't believe his luck and was more than happy to take the money and run. Earn brownie points in India for generating funds and vindicate his approach to transfers.

Also enabled last summer to pass by with little or no need for Venkys to put any funds into the transfer pot as the Raya cash covered the Gallagher down-payment.

Just 12 months on and it shows Mowbray got it wrong. Whilst I agree Raya wasn't perfect and has improved im of the view that it is a result of improved coaching more than anything else.

At a normal club we would have owners or a chairman asking Mowbray about this and explain why this has happened. Not here though. No pressure or accountability it's just 'one of those things'

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Neal said:

I'd be looking to move Rothwell to a left wing back and potentially play a back 5 if we can lure someone like Tosin back. Failing that, moving Rothwell to centre mid. I'd have no worries that he'd be better than Bell as a left wing back. 

Surely you'd play JRC at LWB.

16 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Total nonsense that no one is willing to praise the manager for Dack and Armstrong, who definitely cost more than 1.7m, wasnt Dack 750m and Armstrong 3m?

Wow, that's a lot more than 1.7m, you're right! No wonder we are in debt! Dack is a very good player at this level, but paying the best part of a billion for him was madness...

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

The initial fee and 10% would be a poor deal.

The initial fee and 20%? Just about an acceptable deal.

This is all being written with the benefit of hindsight. If we’d known that Raya would fetch £10m in 2020 then obviously we should have kept him. But at the time, £3m was a reasonable price for a player who was inconsistent and didn’t want to be here. He undoubtedly had potential but it was hardly inevitable that he’d be going for big money this year. 

5 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

This is all being written with the benefit of hindsight. If we’d known that Raya would fetch £10m in 2020 then obviously we should have kept him. But at the time, £3m was a reasonable price for a player who was inconsistent and didn’t want to be here. He undoubtedly had potential but it was hardly inevitable that he’d be going for big money this year. 

He shouldn’t have been sold to start with, £10 million in 2020 or £3 million in 2019, so the rest of your post is moot.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

It may be hindsight to you, but as keeps being pointed out, quite a lot of us were upset with the Raya fee at the time. That's not hindsight, that's foresight. Regardless of what we thought he would be selling for just a year down the line, we all (those who were unhappy with the fee) thought he was already worth more than 3 million and would probably go on to be worth quite a bit more.

Don't rewrite history.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

We’re going to have to agree to disagree. I don’t think he’s going to be a world beater just that out of Johnson Evans and Davenport he is the best option 

Of course Davenport hasn't played a massive amount, and nobody can say that for sure.

The fact is Evans was part the team that won 6 matches out of 7 last season. 

Evans is a poor man's David Batty; nothing fancy but effective. I wouldn't be surprised to see Stoke make a bid for him.

3 minutes ago, Vilesinner said:

The fact is Evans was part the team that won 6 matches out of 7 last season. 

Evans is a poor man's David Batty; nothing fancy but effective. I wouldn't be surprised to see Stoke make a bid for him.

When did that happen?

Even mentioning Evans in the same breath as Batty is a huge insult to Batty!!

• Like 1

Evans is one of those who many would be quite happy to get shut of yet I fully expect when he does leave here he will go to another Championship club and perform well under a different manager and backroom staff.

I suspected since O'Neill got the Stoke job that he would end up there sooner or later. His bad injury last season likely put paid to that for a while. Perhaps a nominal fee or free transfer when his contract is up.

I believe the attitude from many will be one of celebration to be shut of someone with his injury record and hefty wages. If we could do better on a permanent deal fair enough. I'm not sure we will though and I'm reluctant to lose more experience. This 'bring through the youth' thing is fine but it can be dangerous if done too quickly in too many positions.

• Like 1