BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

Raya going for £15m this summer is further proof that the decision to sell him was a wrong one.

If the rumours are true that we had a bid in for £10m for a player, then if we are to be lazy and assume Arsenal's bid would have come anyway, that would mean we could potentially have had £25m to put into the club in one window.

Might have made Waggott less emotional about fans back in the ground; might have meant our cash flow isn't "as bad" as made out; might have meant season tickets didn't require an 18% price hike; might have also meant we'd be paying 7 figures for a top quality player that we need to push us over the line to play offs / promotion.

All entirely hypothetical, but as with everything involved in finance, eventually you can always spot your mistake and hypothesise about what you could have done with the money had you done something differently months / years ago.

It was a mistake by Mowbray and Waggott. That's the end of it.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

Any ideas on who these players are? 

Superb-Ryan Manning

Looks like we have missed out on Garner, with Watford in for him. Must be the first domestic player they have signed in ions. I’m guessing Rich might have a new name for us. How exciting!!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Evans is one of those who many would be quite happy to get shut of yet I fully expect when he does leave here he will go to another Championship club and perform well under a different manager and backroom staff.

I suspected since O'Neill got the Stoke job that he would end up there sooner or later. His bad injury last season likely put paid to that for a while. Perhaps a nominal fee or free transfer when his contract is up.

I believe the attitude from many will be one of celebration to be shut of someone with his injury record and hefty wages. If we could do better on a permanent deal fair enough. I'm not sure we will though and I'm reluctant to lose more experience. This 'bring through the youth' thing is fine but it can be dangerous if done too quickly in too many positions.

Have to disagree on this one. Evans is an over paid over-rated dud I'd be delighted to see the back of. I can't believe he's lasted at the Club as long as he has.

The problem we have is that Johnson falls into exactly the same category and is arguably even worse. It's like trying to pick a Championship level striker between Brereton and Gallagher.

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 6

• Backroom
1 minute ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Have to disagree on this one. Evans is an over paid over-rated dud I'd be delighted to see the back of. I can't believe he's lasted at the Club as long as he has.

The problem we have is that Johnson falls into exactly the same category and is arguably even worse. It's like trying to find a pick a Championship level striker between Brereton and Gallagher.

At least Johnson chips in with a few goals. He's scored more in 35 appearances than Evans has in 184!

Edited by DE.
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

He shouldn’t have been sold to start with, £10 million in 2020 or £3 million in 2019, so the rest of your post is moot.

Quite interesting perspective, - here's another thought, Raya is actually worth more as a Goalkeeper in what is perceived to be a successful top of the Championship side who are perceived as recruiting well, than he would be at what might be thought of as a struggling mid-table Championship side, perceived to be on the decline.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, BRFC_Polky said:

I wonder if we’re looking at Sam McCallum as a possible left back option? Norwich are wanting to loan him out to gain first team experience. 

https://the72.co.uk/192807/norwich-city-likely-to-loan-out-ex-coventry-city-defender/

We shouldnt be loaning a young player from a league rival so he can gain experience.

I doubt he is one we are looking at going off Mowbray's comments regarding our potential new left back 

47 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

‘We all thought he was poor’ ‘everyone was happy for him to go’ is justification for their own poor judgement of a player.

No one has been making those statements. 

He didn’t want to be here, had come off the back of an inconsistent season and we had received a reasonable offer. I wasn’t ‘happy’ that he went but I can understand why we sold. We are all agreed that he had potential and Walton was a step down.

I disagree that it was inevitable a top level PL club would be willing to throw £10m at him this summer. 

2 minutes ago, Glosrover said:

Quite interesting perspective, - here's another thought, Raya is actually worth more as a Goalkeeper in what is perceived to be a successful top of the Championship side who are perceived as recruiting well, than he would be at what might be thought of as a struggling mid-table Championship side, perceived to be on the decline.

You may be onto something there.

A key factor here is Brentford's previous Spanish goalkeeper coach - now at Arsenal. Apart from knowing Raya, maybe his coaching actually improved the player.

Personally, I could easily see and accept why Rovers sold him. Too many heart sink moments like the one at the away end against the same Brentford a couple of seasons ago!

A fair judgement of the decision really rests on the percentage sell on, which the club will be keeping under wraps. Echoes of Cairney and, maybe, Nzonzi are troubling.

The Walton replacement mistake is separate to any assessment of Raya in 2019.

Whatever the demerits of Raya, Walton was a much worse keeper in every respect.

Not selling Raya would have meant not having the cash to buy Gallagher and that would have been a much better option too. We could probably have pushed the boat out to bring Reed back on loan before Fulham got to him and that would have been a massive positive.

A seriously crap piece of business all round.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Glosrover said:

Possibly, but it hasn’t stopped big valuations on Armstrong or (pre injury) Dack.

Edited by Mattyblue

12 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

No one has been making those statements. 

He didn’t want to be here, had come off the back of an inconsistent season and we had received a reasonable offer. I wasn’t ‘happy’ that he went but I can understand why we sold. We are all agreed that he had potential and Walton was a step down.

I disagree that it was inevitable a top level PL club would be willing to throw £10m at him this summer. 

Not a sniff that he was unhappy until the back end of the season when he was suddenly dropped... then bundled out by Mowbray as he wanted quick cash to put towards the £5million for SG.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

Again, hindsight. Based on the facts at the time, selling him was understandable and that’s how it should be judged.

Understandable if you didn’t rate him.

I didn’t understand it then, and I certainly don’t understand it now.

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Raya going for £15m this summer is further proof that the decision to sell him was a wrong one.

If the rumours are true that we had a bid in for £10m for a player, then if we are to be lazy and assume Arsenal's bid would have come anyway, that would mean we could potentially have had £25m to put into the club in one window.

Might have made Waggott less emotional about fans back in the ground; might have meant our cash flow isn't "as bad" as made out; might have meant season tickets didn't require an 18% price hike; might have also meant we'd be paying 7 figures for a top quality player that we need to push us over the line to play offs / promotion.

All entirely hypothetical, but as with everything involved in finance, eventually you can always spot your mistake and hypothesise about what you could have done with the money had you done something differently months / years ago.

It was a mistake by Mowbray and Waggott. That's the end of it.

Indeed.

The people justifying the sale by saying (wrongly) everyone agreed it was a good deal are the same ones who would be crowing about it had he bombed at Brentford.

Edited by LDRover
  • Like 5