BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

11 hours ago, TruRover said:

Most QPR fans speak very highly of him, both defensively and attacking. From what it sounds like he’ll very much suit our current style of play, which is a massive bonus.

You are very correct when you say he would suit our style of play. Plus a good set pieces taken. 

10 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Is the interest in Manning even confirmed? Even in the LT Manning having been suggested rather than linked on here was seemingly mentioned as a "historic" target with Rich Sharpe saying that he didnt know Mowbrays mystery target.

Obviously Mowbray has history for revisiting former targets so its plausible nonetheless.

Also totally agree that actions speak louder than words. Have to get the season underway tomorrow after 2 losses this week.

Why does the interest have to be confirmed tho? Was that the case before we signed Kaminski or Ayala. 

we been after Manning for a period of time from reports and articles published on football sites. 

Would you be happy with the signing of Ryan Manning if we did sign him? I would be delighted. quality left back and only going to improve.

9 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

We had 15 shots in total. 5 blocked, 8 off target and 2 on target. That’s more than enough to win any Mach if you have your shooting boots on! ??

The thing is mate those stats could have come from a hell of a  lot of our recent games. We don't convert  enough shooting opportunities/chances into goals. There's a reason for that.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Gally

AA        Dack       Dolan

I think that might be worth a bash if we had FB's who could cross it to Gally. 

That's what I'd go for.  Similarly, as a 4-3-3 with Dack given a 'free role' in the midfield 3 but a tad deeper.  System is interchangeable during the match - can also be used to go 4-5-1 when needed as well.

11 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

You are very correct when you say he would suit our style of play. Plus a good set pieces taken. 

Why does the interest have to be confirmed tho? Was that the case before we signed Kaminski or Ayala. 

we been after Manning for a period of time from reports and articles published on football sites. 

Would you be happy with the signing of Ryan Manning if we did sign him? I would be delighted. quality left back and only going to improve.

What style of play is that then ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Someone save this quote for April.

Your attitude has changed hugely in the space of a season. ?

Yep — I think the signings we’ve made are great. Kaminski looks good. Ayala as good as anyone in the division. Manning a huge improvement. Nyambe first choice. Garner didn’t come off, but if he’s the sort of midfielder we’re looking for then great. Dack to return with a point to prove. 

26 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The thing is mate those stats could have come from a hell of a  lot of our recent games. We don't convert  enough shooting opportunities/chances into goals. There's a reason for that.

Yes - in the whole squad you've only got two real goal scorers (Armstrong, Dack) who are guaranteed to get over 10 a season should they be fit, and only maybe four who have "chip in" status (Johnson, Lenihan, Gallagher, Rothwell). And by chip in I mean will score 3-7 goals.

We've got to get one more player in to the +10 bracket (only candidate for me is Gallagher). And get most of Ayala, Dolan, JRC, Holtby, Buckley into the 3-7 bracket.

If we cant do that we need to bring in another 10+ striker pronto.

Edited by joey_big_nose

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

do you not watch the games Tyrone?

Well until recently we were trying to become a possession based, play it out from the back, style team. With out much success in my opinion. That appears to have changed with the signing of Ayala and the pursuit of Kipre  Neither of those are noted for their passing ability. None of the existing centre halves at the club are any better in that respect.  My main criticism of Mowbray is that he's never really come up with a way of playing that suits the players we have at the club, most of whom are his signings. It was only the very basic long ball to Graham bringing Dack into play that seemed to work.

I await with baited breath our latest change of style.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

do you not watch the games Tyrone?

Blimey mate.. I mean with me, I point out your inconsistencies most days and probably deserve all I get. 

However I get the sense that Tyrone has been watching Rovers whilst we were still in pampers! Bit cheeky to ask him if he watches Rovers games.

Given 4-3-3 has produced few wins and lots of goals conceded it was hardly an unreasonable question either! 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

100% agree pal. We need to convert. But my reply was to a person who claimed we don’t make chances.

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Well until recently we were trying to become a possession based, play it out from the back, style team. With out much success in my opinion. That appears to have changed with the signing of Ayala and the pursuit of Kipre  Neither of those are noted for their passing ability. None of the existing centre halves at the club are any better in that respect.  My main criticism of Mowbray is that he's never really come up with a way of playing that suits the players we have at the club, most of whom are his signings. It was only the very basic long ball to Graham bringing Dack into play that seemed to work.

I await with baited breath our latest change of style.

The goalkeeper is good with his feet and starting moves.In my opinion pre season and the 3 competitive matches we have played we are still playing a passing game but moving the ball much quicker and forward more often rather than all the sideways passing we did last season 

10 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Did we create any good chances aside from the second for Armstrong? Many were speculative. Even on Tuesday, the chance quality was poor for all the passing betweem Lenihan and Williams. Bar Armstrong, we are looking blunt across the frontline and succeptible on the counter.

What I call a chance is the sort of opening were you think -" Bloody hell, we should have scored there, that was a sitter ". Not the sort of opening were when the ball goes wide of goal you think - " That was a good effort ".

59 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Doesn't really hold any water that argument. Managers get replaced by better managers and suddenly the goals against start drying up and the team starts winning - yet the same players are on the pitch. 

Mowbray has decided to play in a way that leaves us open at the back. That is just how it is. He will live or die by how that pans out results-wise this season.

And nobody would complain we were boring if we won 1-0 every week. That's just a silly argument. 

Of course it holds water. 

Every single goal we concede isn't a direct result of being 'left open at the back'. Of course it can leave you exposed if you aren't organised, but there's been far, far more issues than just that. We haven't even got an organised back line a lot of the time, the defending on set pieces is suspect.

Of course he's partly to blame for this, he picks the players and signs new ones (or doesn't in recent seasons).

The key to the defence improving like so many things in life, is at least 'fixing the basics'. Hopefully with better personnel in place that will happen but the jury is sat firmly in the waiting room for now ready to cast their verdict.

Last roll of the dice for me for Tony, he's had longer than a lot of managers would have been given to sort the defence, in the interest of early season optimism I'm hoping he can nail it this time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

We haven't even got an organised back line a lot of the time, the defending on set pieces is suspect.

That comes from the manager and coaches. Set-piece drills until it's perfect. It's the same issues at Rovers for the last three seasons, can't defend crosses, can't defend set-pieces, and exposed down the flanks. Nothing to do with the players, and everything to do with the manager and how he sets the team up. 

We'll see how we do first 10 games of the season. Hopefully B'mouth was a one-off for this season and we are a lot tighter at the back. 

Edited by Hoochie Bloochie Mama

Just now, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

That comes from the manager and coaches. Set-piece drills until it's perfect. It's the same issues at Rovers for the last three seasons, can't defend crosses, can't defend set-pieces, and exposed down the flanks. Nothing to do with the players, and everything to do with the manager and how he sets the team up. 

It does, but they aren't in the pitch with them, you can see time and time again how pissed off he is because someone has defended like a schoolboy. If you think things can't change with better players in place then so be it.

Just now, Ossydave said:

It does, but they aren't in the pitch with them, you can see time and time again how pissed off he is because someone has defended like a schoolboy. If you think things can't change with better players in place then so be it.

Mowbray treats them like schoolboys, so it's no real surprise they act like it, from time to time. Mowbray micromanages everyone and everything on the pitch. If he doesn't tell someone to organise the defence, they won't.

Sure better players help, but it's down to Mowbray and I don't see him changing.