BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

Just confused by most of the posts on here.

Somebody thinks we have a hole in midfield.

Must have swollen Johnson, Holtby, Rothwell, Buckley, Evans, Davenport, even Bennett and Rankin-Costello before taking into consideration our long term injuries.

5-0 and we are all miserable.

• Like 1

Just now, philipl said:

Must have swollen Johnson, Holtby, Rothwell, Buckley, Evans, Davenport, even Bennett and Rankin-Costello before taking into consideration our long term injuries.

Certainly not miserable about the performance and result. But fair to say looking at that crop of midfielders I don't feel overly inspired in terms of any sort of tilt towards the top 6. Couple of injuries and we'd be putting a weak weak team out. 

I think at this point I'd take a LB and CM as our only other business. They're the 2 crucial positions for me now

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, philipl said:

Yup, I agree that Travis is a big loss but we have good numbers there of adequate (not Travis standard quality). Johnson had a great game, as did Rothwell and Holtby. We then have Evans, Davenport, JRC, Bennett, and even Dack has to feature somewhere when he gets back.

At LB, we have Bell. Followed by one of our CBs, JRC (out of position) and then Bennett.(out of position).

Sorting CM would come after LB for me. 

Edited by JacknOry

6 minutes ago, philipl said:

If we were playing Wycombe every week we'd be OK , but we aren't.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, philipl said:

Bit unfair. Nothing to do with the result wharsoever! Can make a judgement on the squad and be happy about the result. The two are not mutually exclusive. 

Certainly on first glance it appears we are more than covered there but I've said before quantity over quality and reliability. Two injury prone in Evans and Holtby, Johnson isn't great fitness wise and Buckley and JRC are needed elsewhere. Rothwells emergence there does mitigate things somewhat but even so, we are gambling on a lot of players staying fit, doing ok and not being needed elsewhere. To me that is a big gamble. 

Incidentally I would say left back and reserve keeper are more pressing issues but that doesn't mean all is ok in midfield. 

• Like 2

A new LB and a better back up keeper and I would be happy with that providing Williams stays. More would be nice clearly, but we have the depth to cover other positions. A quality over quantity approach is very appropriate. A good left back and a bit of luck with injuries and we have a chance I feel. 

I also feel that Mowbray says something different everytime that he's asked about transfers. He is possibly bluffing or maybe doesnt really know what transfers will come in as he is waiting for sell on fees or approval from Venkys who often decide to flash the cash just before the deadline. I also think he probably wants Manning and is pleading poverty or distracting other potential interested parties. We just need to wait until the deadline closes to see where we are. We are basically all completely clueless.

34 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Agree and disagree i think he now has the opportunity to make a big step forwards with replacing Bell. He has money and is pitching left backs but is it just because we are short rather than to upgrade ?

These are the kind of things that can make a difference so if your better players have a good season they aren't being let down by the usual weak points. He's the weakest one if Mowbray bottles it in favour of back up players he'll get pelters again when it goes wrong. I pray he doesn't over think this one and convince himself we'll get by with Bell and a loaned back up.

These are the differences Tony don't fluff it.

Personally I think Bell has something about him.

But like Chapman he isn’t showing it.

• Like 1

• Backroom

Bell is League 1 standard and will never be any more than that. The lad is 26, he's not going to suddenly become significantly better than he already is at this point. Much like Lenihan people seem to think Bell is a lot younger than he actually is. These players are pretty much coming into their prime years now, development is pretty much done. 

With Bell at LB we will have a massive weakness down that flank the entire season and it will be a huge hindrance. If we signed nobody else at this point other than a decent LB, even on loan, at this point I'd take it. We can make do with the rest (although I'd be pretty worried if Kaminski or Armstrong got injured).

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If we were playing Wycombe every week we'd be OK , but we aren't.

But last season both charlton and Luton worked us over at the beginning of the season. This season we narrowly lost to the promotion favourites after outplaying them and whooped one of the new boys with ease! Test is how we do next week at Derby

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

But last season both charlton and Luton worked us over at the beginning of the season. This season we narrowly lost to the promotion favourites after outplaying them and whooped one of the new boys with ease! Test is how we do next week at Derby

Should be interesting with Derby getting off to a terrible start again.  

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

Same. Don't know a name, and I never claimed Manning was the one.

I still think you could be spot on JoeH. I'm just hoping he's got a LB already signed up as you had heard. If he's not yet in a position to name them, then why not say it isn't as much of a priority i.e. I've got someone, but I'm not going to disclose that today. He's also said that Manning, would be a costly deal, so if he has got someone, he won't have splashed the cash in doing so. He's still going to need Bell as back up, so regardless of who it is, he's hardly going to throw Bell under a bus and say he's crap. Probably a load of bobbins on my part, but then again I am the eternal optimist.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Personally I think Bell has something about him.

But like Chapman he isn’t showing it.

That’s the problem. Bell does have something about him. Like he should be a decent little player.....but don’t be deceived. He’s piss poor

• Like 3

source Lancs Live website. From Mowbray during his post match interview

Is there anything you can tell us on Ryan Manning?

"No. That's a name you've just thrown at me. It's not true. I think Ryan Manning is a very good footballer, I imagine QPR are not going to let him walk away.

"We haven't got any money to buy anybody. How much is Ryan Manning going to cross? If you're going to buy a player, you have to buy the player and then you have to give him a salary.

"So I would say there is enough money to buy one player who can help us to get to where we want to be or we could loan two or three players and use that money as salary, which just becomes dead money at your club at the end of the year.

"Our decision is ultimately whether to loan some players who are going to help us in a one-off season or are we going to buy one player who can be ours?

"But then we've got more than one position that we feel we need to strengthen or cover, it's a difficult conundrum for us, somewhere along the line we'll see what falls in place.

"If not, you saw the team today, there is a lot of young players who are doing the job. How young is that team today? It's a pretty young group of footballers who are trying their best and yet I know, and maybe you know as well, that it's very difficult to maintain consistency with seven or eight U23 players in your team all season.

"We would like to strengthen in certain areas or cover in certain areas because we know the games are going to come thick and fast.

"I know exactly to the penny how much we've got but it's probably a couple of loans or a signing, I would suggest, and I'm not sure I'd want to spend it all on Ryan Manning when we've got Amari'i Bell doing ok, so there's other areas I feel we need to strengthen first."

43 minutes ago, DE. said:

Bell is League 1 standard and will never be any more than that. The lad is 26, he's not going to suddenly become significantly better than he already is at this point. Much like Lenihan people seem to think Bell is a lot younger than he actually is. These players are pretty much coming into their prime years now, development is pretty much done. 

With Bell at LB we will have a massive weakness down that flank the entire season and it will be a huge hindrance. If we signed nobody else at this point other than a decent LB, even on loan, at this point I'd take it. We can make do with the rest (although I'd be pretty worried if Kaminski or Armstrong got injured).

Bang on the money. If signing a good left back means we can’t do any more business then I still wouldn’t be against it. It’s the glaring weakness in our side. I think saying Bell is even league one standard is being very generous as well ?

• Like 3

• Backroom
Just now, Butty said:

Bang on the money. If signing a good left back means we can’t do any more business then I still wouldn’t be against it. It’s the glaring weakness in our side. I think saying Bell is even league one standard is being very generous as well ?

You're forgetting how atrocious the standard is in that division. Even when we played like crap we won most matches comfortably. From recollection Bell was named in the League 1 team of the season! 

For £250k he's been an OK signing. I've got nothing against the bloke as I think he tries to the best of his ability - it's just not enough to match our ambitions. We need better. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Butty said:

Nah, L1 standard is a fair assessment - he was Fleetwood's player of the season.

Much like Mulgrew - v.good in L1, but quickly found out in the Championship. 

Im not sure why people even think that Bell SHOULD be a good player, the only attribute he has is that he is fairly fast, which is often perhaps the usual thing that causes people that a player well out of his depth COULD step up. 

@chaddyrovers not a positive interview there. Mowbray admitting we have no money is one thing but I hope his delusion around not needing a left back urgently is false.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

Yes I agree, the Rovers of old would like nothing more than to kick start Derby's season.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

source Lancs Live website. From Mowbray during his post match interview

Is there anything you can tell us on Ryan Manning?

"No. That's a name you've just thrown at me. It's not true. I think Ryan Manning is a very good footballer, I imagine QPR are not going to let him walk away.

"We haven't got any money to buy anybody. How much is Ryan Manning going to cross? If you're going to buy a player, you have to buy the player and then you have to give him a salary.

"So I would say there is enough money to buy one player who can help us to get to where we want to be or we could loan two or three players and use that money as salary, which just becomes dead money at your club at the end of the year.

"Our decision is ultimately whether to loan some players who are going to help us in a one-off season or are we going to buy one player who can be ours?

"But then we've got more than one position that we feel we need to strengthen or cover, it's a difficult conundrum for us, somewhere along the line we'll see what falls in place.

"If not, you saw the team today, there is a lot of young players who are doing the job. How young is that team today? It's a pretty young group of footballers who are trying their best and yet I know, and maybe you know as well, that it's very difficult to maintain consistency with seven or eight U23 players in your team all season.

"We would like to strengthen in certain areas or cover in certain areas because we know the games are going to come thick and fast.

"I know exactly to the penny how much we've got but it's probably a couple of loans or a signing, I would suggest, and I'm not sure I'd want to spend it all on Ryan Manning when we've got Amari'i Bell doing ok, so there's other areas I feel we need to strengthen first."

Did someone make this thing up or are these Mowbray’s words?

• Like 1

So now TM is intimating loans are 'dead money' at the end of the season unless they get you where you want to be and I totally agree with him.

So the question is, what was he doing with the 3 expensive loans last season that probably did 3 million because there was no way we set our stall out to get promoted.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Im not sure why people even think that Bell SHOULD be a good player, the only attribute he has is that he is fairly fast, which is often perhaps the usual thing that causes people that a player well out of his depth COULD step up. 

@chaddyrovers not a positive interview there. Mowbray admitting we have no money is one thing but I hope his delusion around not needing a left back urgently is false.

The other day we were close to a left back he said now no need for a left back we have other areas that need improving and bugger all money.Plus didn't we bid 200k for Pears?All very odd

Only a theory but perhaps Mowbray is willing to sell Nyambe to use some of the fee to bring in a couple as although Costello had a good game very odd Nyambe was dropped

Edited by islander200
  • Like 1

Think the criticism of @JoeH is a bit unfair as the lad didn’t say at any stage we had signed Manning. Im also struggling to see any areas of the pitch that need improving more than LB. We can’t buy another forward after what we’ve already spent in that area. 

Personally I feel that if we can get a good left back sorted we have had a very good window. However a huge part of that has to be down to the shock that has been Dolan. Now he seems special!

• Like 2