BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

Nail on head.

As I posted a few minutes ago, if you never give the lads a chance...................................

You only find out if they're good enough to play at a higher level by playing them at that level.  Playing with better players can improve a young players game a lot in some instances as we're seeing with Dolan.

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

He has to go with the loans unless we get some incoming cash Josh. Because we need a keeper as bad as we need a LB and he’s saying we can only buy one.

But we need a left-back to play and a keeper to sit on the bench. My priority would be the left-back

"The manager doesn't know that" is a strange quote. "No. That's a name you've just thrown at me. It's not true. I think Ryan Manning is a very good footballer, I imagine QPR are not going to let him walk away.

Haven't Mowbray been looking at Manning before ?

https://www.footballinsider247.com/exclusive-blackburn-made-deadline-day-bid-to-sign-qpr-23-yr-old/

"A source at Loftus Road has told Football Insider that second-tier rivals Blackburn launched a late bid to sign the versatile Irishman on Friday but that it was swiftly rejected the club."

I would imagine he would be cheaper now than he would have been almost a year ago ?

11 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

U23 is not the same as competitive league football, but my comment was not specifically about him as I have never seen him, I just think considering our problems in that position and his inability to ever make a squad, it is safe to say that he wont be in the managers thoughts in the near future.

Dolan had only played under 18's football and look at him now. 

8 hours ago, JHRover said:

If those are genuinely Mowbray's comments and assuming he has been accurately quoted over the last few weeks then I think he needs testing for drugs because it makes no sense.

The only logic behind those comments are that he is trying to dampen expectations and make people believe we are skint as part of his transfer strategy.

We have other positions in greater need than LB? Where?

What happened to the domino effect and moving onto the next incoming after Ayala?

Now we are so hard up that we are having to sacrifice some positions? If so I sure hope Ayala is the missing piece of the jigsaw to make it worthwhile.

His comments are completely inconsistent with those he has made previously.

why would he been mis-quoted ? 

Left back is the priority for a next signing then a back up keeper. 

If you look at his comments he says we got no money and then we got enough for 1 permanent or 2 loan signings. Seems like he didn't want say much on transfers. 

3 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Yeah, he’s the obvious one mate and the most likely. I just don’t think they’d let him go right now unless they got silly money - like the Watkins sale...£25m+

I wouldn't be selling Armstrong for any money at all. If he plays the 9 role all season he will take us to the top 6 and possible promotion

1 hour ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Said it before, no need to worry about Dack leaving right now. No club will be taking a punt on him for big bucks until they’ve seen him play again.

Couple of people on Twitter linking us with Luke Garbutt. Not a bad CV but doesn’t look to have played at a higher level than league one for a good couple of seasons. We can surely do better.

Mention Garbutt yesterday

Mowbray staying in press the other day he’s finding it difficult to get players in on loan who are on 1.5 mill a year, Question I’m asking myself is if we couldn’t afford that utd youngster what quality are these 3 loans going to be, So if he can afford 3 loans surely he could afford Manning on a perm, Is he pulling the wool over our eyes

Edited by Jlee1984

12 minutes ago, DE. said:

Being serious for a second re: Garbutt, he's rubbish - worse than Bell. Avoid.

Looking at the clubs who have loaned him I tend to agree. It's also quite telling that Everton fans used to call him Luke Garbage.

On the subject of Everton though, with their excellent recruitment over the summer there look to be some proper players suddenly out of the first team picture. Probably out of our range but Tom Davies and Mason Holgate (if he's still there) spring to mind. Plus the left back Martina (having checked it looks like they have released him and he's a RB anyway!!) - he's a player.

Edited by LDRover
Wrong name....and loads of wrong info!!

51 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

Mowbray seems to think that Bell is doing OK, and he mentioned having a sleepless night or two after the Newcastle game because he was contemplating playing a weaker side, which I think loosely translates to how Travis' injury has changed the rest of the transfer window for us.

Has there been an official update?

Heard last night he's out until the new year - huge blow if correct.

4 hours ago, JoeH said:

And Tyrhys Dolan had only played Under 18’s football but he’s set the world on fire and nobody can deny his ability and potential.

Lewis Thompson would definitely do a better job than Bell for me.

As I said, I have never seen Thompson so I havent got a clue, my comments where more about the troubles we have had at left back yet hes never made a squad, even with 9 subs, so I dont think hes close.

Kids football is a difficult benchmark though, so far away from first team level. It doesnt mean that young players cant break through, obviously they do, but ultimately impressing at under 23 level doesnt mean that you are good enough for first team football. I bet Bell would hold his own with the kids. But my comments were about how close/far away Thompson must be in Mowbrays mind, not mine.

I also think some of the comparisons and predictions for Dolan, big money moves to Europe, comparisons to Eze and Bellingham are absolutely crazy after 1 League start, as good as it was. Im wary that people may be getting carried away which is fine now but when he hits an inevitable dip in form at that age, I hope theres not a similar overreaction. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

We always seem to be 2-3 short each window.  Hence mid table finishes. The last few squads you look at and think not really top 6.  This time, with a good left back and another couple, we have a genuine shout.

Time to go shit or bust.

I don’t think we’ve been 2/3 away from challenging for the top 6 before mate. If ever there was a time to get a couple of top loans in, now is that time! 

14 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

As I said, I have never seen Thompson so I havent got a clue, my comments where more about the troubles we have had at left back yet hes never made a squad, even with 9 subs, so I dont think hes close.

Kids football is a difficult benchmark though, so far away from first team level. It doesnt mean that young players cant break through, obviously they do, but ultimately impressing at under 23 level doesnt mean that you are good enough for first team football. I bet Bell would hold his own with the kids. But my comments were about how close/far away Thompson must be in Mowbrays mind, not mine.

I also think some of the comparisons and predictions for Dolan, big money moves to Europe, comparisons to Eze and Bellingham are absolutely crazy after 1 League start, as good as it was. Im wary that people may be getting carried away which is fine now but when he hits an inevitable dip in form at that age, I hope theres not a similar overreaction. 

This.  He looks good Dolan but he's very untested. How would he cope up against a fast physical fullback etc? 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

It is very hard to judge whether an U23 player is ready, especially in defensive positions where the physical aspect is such different. Attacking players is a bit easier because skill and pace translates easier. It was clear before last year that Buckely had outgrewn U23 when dominating every match. JRC, Butterworth were similar clear options that was ready for next step. Vale showed also good signs. 

On the other hand, Magloire had it to easy in the U23 because he was stronger and faster then everybody. U23 football is also quite different from Championship because it's very techinal, played to feet and little physical combat for a centre-back. Think it was a massive shock for Magloire when he faced Joe Garner and Steven Fletcher who are clever operators.

I like Lewis Thompson, great engine and can deliver a cross. He never plays badly, but not a standout performer either. I see more potential in Dan Pike on right back, he's a few years younger, very mature, great decision making both defensivly and offensively. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Paul Mani said:

I don’t think we’ve been 2/3 away from challenging for the top 6 before mate. If ever there was a time to get a couple of top loans in, now is that time! 

I think first 11 wise we have been close but our tactical play and defence was dire.  Now we seem to have kids coming through and a game plan for the season.  The stars are aligning...

• Like 1