BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

32 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I want promotion. Nothing more. Nothing less. I'm not particularly bothered what a players background is. I don't believe in romantic ideas of nice football, promotion and doing it all with a team of academy products. It is a fantasy. By all means integrate players that are good enough but we need depth and experience for the cold nights at Millwall. 

We have beaten Millwall 5 times since 2012, only losing to them 2 times. In every game, won drawn and lost, our side featured a plethora of academy graduates.

In 2018/19 Joe Nuttall was given what I think was his first Championship start, Lewis Travis played in the early run of his stint in the side too as we ran out 2-0 winners at the New Den. In 2019/20 John Buckley got one of his first Championship starts in our 2-0 home win. 

It’s perfectly plausible to get promoted with a younger side, or a team with a large amount of academy graduates, and whilst the “wet and rainy night at Stoke” joke is funny, it really doesn’t have much place in a genuine discussion about our squads ability.

Nice football as you describe it, isn’t a romantic idea. Promotion with a young, home grown side, really isn’t fantasy, in fact it’s perfectly plausible. Whether you finish 7th or 21st you’re in the same financial and logistical situation the following season; and I’d rather see us try to play entertaining football, promote young talents, add value to promising players and have a bit of fun. Rather than sit and watch Neil Warnock style football, finish in the exact same boat and think, that was bloody dull wasn’t it?

23 minutes ago, Ben Frost said:

So come back and use your strawman argument in 8 months, if he leaves. 

Don’t pretend it's "likely" when you don't have the slightest idea what the player or the club intend to do regarding a new contract. 

It is likely because unless we get a contract signed and very quickly he will be leaving. It isnt some elaborate possibility based on numerous variables. It is quite simply what will happen if nothing changes before then.

He isnt going to play here for free or on non contract terms. Come January the likelihood is other clubs will come sniffing and offer him better terms than us and he will be able to agree a deal elsewhere and count the days down until July.

Of course that would be a very bitter pill to swallow but I ask myself why we have reached this situation. Covid can be thrown about as an excuse but what were we doing before that? He was in the last 18 months of his deal in January which is too little for a player of his age and ability.

Glad though that you have such a relaxed attitude about it. You could work for Rovers.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Our own manager said a couple of weeks ago that he wanted 6 more. We've only signed 1. Are you saying he is wrong?

What's the point in giving all these youngsters a chance if we are just going to let them leave for nothing as Nyambe is likely to do?

I want promotion. Nothing more. Nothing less. I'm not particularly bothered what a players background is. I don't believe in romantic ideas of nice football, promotion and doing it all with a team of academy products. It is a fantasy. By all means integrate players that are good enough but we need depth and experience for the cold nights at Millwall. 

I think every Rovers fan wants the same, but you never seem to realise what an unusual season we are in.

A major pandemic no one has seen before, looking like we were coming out of it and then, bang second wave, alert back to 4 and now no fans back in October.

We have signed some decent players and fully expect to sign a L/B and back up goalie and if that’s it I’ll be satisfied.

Its no good keep saying our owners are billionaires just get 5/6 in, we are in unprecedented times, and I’m still grateful we aren’t doing a Wigan, Bolton, Bury etc. Pretty certain there will be more clubs going to the wall this season.

With a couple of additions we will have a decent squad, fully capable of competing with most of the clubs in this division.

• Like 7

32 minutes ago, JoeH said:

We have beaten Millwall 5 times since 2012, only losing to them 2 times. In every game, won drawn and lost, our side featured a plethora of academy graduates.

In 2018/19 Joe Nuttall was given what I think was his first Championship start, Lewis Travis played in the early run of his stint in the side too as we ran out 2-0 winners at the New Den. In 2019/20 John Buckley got one of his first Championship starts in our 2-0 home win. 

It’s perfectly plausible to get promoted with a younger side, or a team with a large amount of academy graduates, and whilst the “wet and rainy night at Stoke” joke is funny, it really doesn’t have much place in a genuine discussion about our squads ability.

Nice football as you describe it, isn’t a romantic idea. Promotion with a young, home grown side, really isn’t fantasy, in fact it’s perfectly plausible. Whether you finish 7th or 21st you’re in the same financial and logistical situation the following season; and I’d rather see us try to play entertaining football, promote young talents, add value to promising players and have a bit of fun. Rather than sit and watch Neil Warnock style football, finish in the exact same boat and think, that was bloody dull wasn’t it?

'You don't win anything with kids'.

Don't think our business has been too bad so far with all things considered. Kaminski and Ayala are upgrades - less so in Ayala's case - but we own them, they are in peak years and both experienced. To get them for what I assume will be under 1 mil is exceptional business.

If it comes down to a case of having to sign Nyambe on better terms or bringing in another player the choice is obvious - sign Nyambe up.

However I still think there will be another player through the door. We've been linked with plenty of defenders and I don't think the left back link is over despite what he said about Bell. We can only wait and see but I'm not too disheartened at our squad at the moment. One or two injuries and that may change.

• Like 2

If the choice is finishing 7th with Mowbray playing the type of football we’ve seen so far this season, or 7th with Warnock, then of course, crack on Mogga. Or if we played in a closed off league with no promotion or relegation, again let’s see what you can do with these young players Tone.

But Championship Chairmen appoint Warnock as he has a track record of finishing 1st to 6th, nothing more, nothing less. They trade away ‘nice football’ for a team of hardened pros playing a prosaic style that is more likely to see the club in the promised land than an expansive style from a young team (note I said more likely, not that it’s impossible) - indeed they will see that as their duty to the club and their shareholders to appoint such a person.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 4

30 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

Whatever the manager might or might not have said in the past few weeks in now irrelevant. 

Not really. It reflects a gap between what Mowbray was expecting and what he's now been given. 

32 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

The reality is that the majority of clubs, including Rovers, are in a struggle for survival at the moment.

Agreed

32 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

Personally, I couldn't care less if we sign anyone or not over the next few weeks, as the bigger picture is the survival of football clubs during these bleak times. 

Couldn't disagree more. Promotion is vital to our long term future with or without Venky's...especially now with little chance of getting fans back anytime soon.  It is again going to be a tight league where anyone of 15 clubs could get in the play-offs. A new signing or two will give us a better chance. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Our transfer activity screams uncertainty.

It is like we identify a player (McGinn, Kipre, Garner, Reed) and make a "shallow/token" move... but then we delay and piss about pulling the trigger.

It's not until another team comes in that we then suddenly decide we really want said player 100%, only for the player to (rightfully) take the "Fuck You" attitude to our recruitment team and move to the new (actually committed) bidding team.

We didn't even get Holtby or Ayala in first time around when they had trained with us, only for them to go abroad after being teased, to eventually come back to us as their own Plan B. Last year Adarabioyo took about a month to complete as well for similar reasons.

Seems very indecisive and, ultimately, detrimental, and is why we lack in some areas.

You can add the Sunderland goalkeeper that we were " tracking " for months that ended up going to Rangers or Celtic, I forget which one now.

There's a bit in my paper today -  " Arsenal have signed the Iceland goalkeeper Alex Runnarson for £1.8M. Arteta may add yet another goalkeeper to his ranks and Brentford have turned down multiple bids for the highly rated David Raya. Arsenal's third choice, Matt Macey wants to pursue first team football elsewhere. "

Not so highly rated at Ewood Park by some though.

This league is as open as it has been for years and looking at other squads I don't think ours is particularly weak in comparison.

Kaminski is a bit of an unknown, but given his experience in quality games (European cups) I'd be safe to assume he is one of the most experienced keepers in this league at a high level.

Out of our defence Nyambe, Lenihan, Ayala and Williams are all seasoned Championship players now. Nyambe and Lenihan are on their 3rd season as full time regulars, with Lenihan having a go prior to Mowbray too. Our weak spot is left back but other than that we have a nice balanced defence, with Williams and Wharton back up centre halves. The ability to have a right foot, left foot centre half partnership shouldn't be underestimated either.

Midfield we have to be up there now with the best in the league. Travis, Johnson, Dack, Dolan, Rothwell, Evans - all top half Championship players. The youth we can play there are rated highly and even the likes of Davenport are improvements on the youth of some teams in this division.

Then up top we have what I suspect will be the top goal scorer this season in Armstrong. Our subs are a bit weaker - which is frustrating given they are our most expensive players - but even Brereton has shown improvement this year. 

Not in bad shape really, but just missing a top player to really push us into the bracket of being the best. I suspect the top 10 will consist of the likes of Watford, Bournemouth, Swansea, Norwich, Brentford and potentially Milwall given their form at the back end of last season. I fancy my chances against all of them teams in honesty. I think this league is far weaker than last year, our squad is improved and had another season under their belts, and I wouldn't put it past us mounting a serious play off challenge this season providing we can stay injury free. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

As @Mattyblue says Warnock tends to get results to get into the top 6 so its flawed to compare "Warnock style" football and "entertaining" football on the assumption that both are getting the exact same results. Warnock doesnt think, right well im gonna finish 11th anyway so I may as well do it in the most boring way possible.

Mowbray himself said at the weekend that we need a few more senior heads because its very difficult to maintain consistency with 8 or 9 young lads in the team and he is right. Hes signed an experienced keeper and Ayala so hes clearly keen to address that, hence his seeming frustration that he cant get more over the line. 

It doesnt mean that Mowbrays approach is incorrect regarding style but that is assuming that we can get results like this; I dont get the constant contempt now in the football world for anything but playing it from the back, results are almost secondary now, I mentioned it in the Premier League thread about Burnley.

Thats not to say even without considering the current economic climate that we shouldnt do anything but use the academy to our advantage but our side is already young and full of talent, in many cases, home grown. We already have Lenihan, Nyambe and Travis regulars in the team and Buckley and Rankin Costello in the squad, then Armstrong, Dolan, Brereton, Davenport etc on top that. The main worry with many is the contractual situation. But the focus should always be on results, whether the best way is passing from the back or being more direct. Indeed the squad that Mowbray has built means there is little scope for direct football, now we wait and see if it is more effective than the first style Mowbray adopted when we went more direct to Graham. Indeed playing a higher press and some younger players shouldnt be done because it is fun, because it is pretty, and as if the alternative is "boring" (subjective) football getting the same results, it should be done only if those young players are worthy of playing, and if that style of football is condusive to getting the best possible results based on the squads skillset. As it stands, I would suggest that doing both of those may well be the best way to get results though.

The younger lads that havent yet progressed into the first team properly, Magloire, Carter, Thompson, Vale, Butterworth etc, I dont think there is any urgency to get them involved in the first team in the immediate future as the squad is already packed full of young talent, unless of course any are deemed to be worthy of a spot in the squad, perhaps down to an injury crisis. They may be better suited out on loan.

1 hour ago, Parsonblue said:

Personally, I don't see this as a normal season and therefore no way is this going to be a normal transfer window for the majority of clubs. 

With plans for an October return to grounds now abandoned by the Government, I fear it's likely to be next spring, at the earliest, before spectators are allowed back in grounds, although I suspect it will more likely be next season before we get large numbers back - if there is a vaccine.

Under the circumstances, the majority of clubs, Rovers included, are going to have to watch every penny with income being drastically reduced.  Whatever the manager might or might not have said in the past few weeks in now irrelevant.  The reality is that the majority of clubs, including Rovers, are in a struggle for survival at the moment.  Personally, I couldn't care less if we sign anyone or not over the next few weeks, as the bigger picture is the survival of football clubs during these bleak times. 

Club survival isn't going to hinge on spending £10-15k a week and a £500k+ transfer fee on a Championship standard LB.

If anything it's the perfect time to push the boat out if everyone else is dallying. We could steal a march on them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

Nice football as you describe it, isn’t a romantic idea. Promotion with a young, home grown side, really isn’t fantasy, in fact it’s perfectly plausible. 

It is plausible if you have an outstandingly talented group coming through, we have a decent group of youngsters but not good enough to get promoted. 

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

Whether you finish 7th or 21st you’re in the same financial and logistical situation the following season; 

You are a much more attractive prospect to potential signings if you finish 7th rather than 21st. You are also likely to be getting bigger attendances if you are 7th rather than 21st which results in more income.

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

Rather than sit and watch Neil Warnock style football, finish in the exact same boat and think, that was bloody dull wasn’t it?

Neil Warnock style football achieves promotion on a limited budget. Tony Mowbray's football only achieves promotion when he has one of the biggest budgets on the division.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Neil Warnock style football achieves promotion on a limited budget. Tony Mowbray's football only achieves promotion when he has one of the biggest budgets on the division.

I said, whether you finish 7th or 21st you’re in the same situation. If you play Warnock style football and finish 7th, vs Mowbray style football and finish 11th, all you’ve done is sat through boring and dull affairs to be in the exact same position.

11 hours ago, Ben Frost said:

Give your ear trumpet a clean then 

I'm not that feckin old!

Look, if I hear something I post it along with names like Michel the French goalie (posted weeks ago and then Sharpe in LT mentioned) and Juklerod (posted yesterday).

I think Rovers' transfer 'policy'- if you can call it that- is all over the place and I very much doubt even Mowbray knows what will happen when he walks into 'the building' each day.  IMO, there will be one 'big' departure before the window closes, mainly to help the cash position and partially to facilitate a couple or so of permanent signings. 

5 minutes ago, Mercer said:

I'm not that feckin old!

Look, if I hear something I post it along with names like Michel the French goalie (posted weeks ago and then Sharpe in LT mentioned) and Juklerod (posted yesterday).

I think Rovers' transfer 'policy'- if you can call it that- is all over the place and I very much doubt even Mowbray knows what will happen when he walks into 'the building' each day.  IMO, there will be one 'big' departure before the window closes, mainly to help the cash position and partially to facilitate a couple or so of permanent signings. 

The evidence so far suggests the complete opposite.

Two of the most important positions which needed addressing have been, with high quality recruits at fees and wages which are acceptable. 

But the real coup may turn out to be moving so quickly to sign Dolan as soon as he became available. There must have been other interested parties given what we have seen so far. 

9 minutes ago, islander200 said:

You say this every window about a "big" departure.

What happened with that 10-20 million we desperately need to find by slashing the wage bill and selling players?

You sold Rhodes more times than Nixon did

And Dack

• Like 1