BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

Just now, roversfan99 said:

everything is a tick, good going forward, solid defensively, good experience, a good balanced full back who can do both sides.

Significantly slower than the required pace for wing-backs in our current system
Much older than would be ideal
Massively injury prone
Not cheap on either fee or wages
Hasn't played right-back so confused by the both sides comment

He's a good defender, but I don't understand why he's revered as a God amongst fans. He played TEN games for us in 2019/20, but in the current 4-3-3 system, he simply doesn't suit the style. Better than Bell? Yes. But a million miles better? No.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

The one downside to Cunningham is undoubtedly the injury concern. Otherwise, everything is a tick, good going forward, solid defensively, good experience, a good balanced full back who can do both sides.

There may be a deal to do for someone but unless something changes massively, that clearly wont be us with our budget.

Rankin Costello like Bell was very high up but ultimately, his crossing was poor and tended to go straight to the keeper.

I wouldn't be signing Cunningham for the reasons I outlined. If he played all last season for us injury free then yes I would have sign him. 

We will see, But I wouldn't be surprise if we got Manning in before the window shuts. 

People said we couldn't afford Ayala before we sign him. So anything could happen. 

7 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Significantly slower than the required pace for wing-backs in our current system
Massively injury prone

He's a good defender, but I don't understand why he's revered as a God amongst fans. He played TEN games for us in 2019/20, but in the current 4-3-3 system, he simply doesn't suit the style. Better than Bell? Yes. But a million miles better? No.

He meant both sides as in he can do the defensive and attacking sides of the position well. I appreciate you're having a disagreement with him but it really isn't hard to work that out.

Just now, JoeH said:

Massively injury prone

By both sides, I meant that he is capable both defensively and going forward, not as a right and a left back,

As I showed with Rankin Costello, you dont need to be really fast to play that role, even in "Mowbray's system." I am unsure why you think it is critical. Rankin Costello wouldnt be considered there otherwise, he isnt fast but like Cunningham he can get up and down. If I was suggesting playing a veteran there, or a centre back, then I'd get your point. I think you are underestimating his ability to go forward, in his games last year he regularly did.

That being said, I have always been wary that we shouldnt be signing really attacking full backs just to "fit Mowbrays system." Nyambe isnt really attacking. If there isnt at times an element of compromise with the full backs, the goals will keep going in to our net I suspect, and it is key that whoever we sign can defend.

He is the same age as Ayala, 29. We have plenty of young talent in the team, having the experience of Cunningham and Ayala would be a big help when it comes to game management. We have lost the likes of Graham and Downing and Mowbray has stated that playing too many youngsters may breed inconsistency, and he is correct.

"Revered as a god" :lol: No, just as a very competent Championship full back whose inclusion led to an increase in points that we were accumulating, and a reduction in the goals we were conceding. And obviously someone we are all familiar with, hence his repeated mentions.

Wages, we are only guessing, we managed to do a deal last year. I dont think he holds much value to Cardiff, he hasnt made their squad yet, of course factor in the injury, he has a year left. I am not saying that we can or cannot afford him, I have no idea but its not a crazy suggestion.

The injuries, or specifically the injury he suffered last year, that is undoubtedly the primary concern.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

I wouldn't be signing Cunningham for the reasons I outlined. If he played all last season for us injury free then yes I would have sign him. 

We will see, But I wouldn't be surprise if we got Manning in before the window shuts. 

People said we couldn't afford Ayala before we sign him. So anything could happen. 

I dont think we will sign Cunningham, he is mentioned not because he is likely to sign again but because he is someone that we all are familiar with.

Mowbray never said that we couldnt afford Ayala at any point though. 

2 hours ago, JoeH said:

Come on, this is silly. Good enough you're old enough, some players do need coddling, but Dolan's is a professional already at this young age, his temperament and attitude. The reason English youngsters are succeeding abroad, in Germany and Portugal, like Sancho and Dier, is because they get thrown in and get relied upon. 

You haven't a clue about the stress on his body now he's gone from 18s to championship football. He's a small lad too, not built like a rooney.

He will be aching all the time....his legs will be tired every morning he wakes up.

Its not silly at all.

• Like 1

Still seems most of our efforts are on trying to strike a deal with Fleetwood Town to take last seasons opening day captain and likely biggest earner off our hands until next summer.

It really does make you wonder sometimes.

Of course when Mowbray talks about accountability and Waggott talks about the fans needing to do their bit to stop the club heading for oblivion this doesn't take into account the £1.5 million or more in wages lavished on Mulgrew to spend 2 of his 3 year deal playing elsewhere. 

I must say I am bemused/concerned by Mowbray now suggesting that the budget might be cut back as a result of the delay in fans returning to grounds.

Having had no fans at Ewood since February surely a budget wasn't agreed in the summer that was contingent upon fans returning in October? That was always the best case scenario. Likely with restricted capacity, no away fans. Whatever income 5000 fans would have provided would pale into insignificance. An increase in cases was always inevitable and likely to delay the return of fans.

It just doesn't make much sense to me. Give him a budget and let him crack on with spending it (which with more luck or urgency he might have done everything by now) yet through a predictable delay to fans returning the money might be withdrawn? 

Mowbray might regret not moving more quickly to get his targets but everything is just all so laid back here. No urgency or pressure just 'que sera sera' attitude.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Prelude said:

Yeah deffo from a desperation point of view we need a new left back but in the meantime if Tony chooses not to play JRC in a more advanced role we are stronger with JRC at left back than Bell wouldn't you agree?

JRC shouldn't be on the bench if Bell is playing.

I hear you barking my man! Either way we should not be in this predicament but here we are. I am still optimistic about getting a decent left back in so we shall see...

• Like 1

@JoeH what are your views on the Ayala deal out of interest? In terms of the reasons you gave for Cunningham not being the signing you want, Ayala falls down on the same points.

Age? 29 like Cunningham, an age you described as "much older than would be ideal."

Injuries? Has suffered with various injuries at Boro, 35 games is the maximum he played in a season, hasnt played since new years day due to ankle issues, and Boro fans have a running joke that he takes January through March off.

Attributes to play Mowbrays system? Of course, his requirements for a centre back will be different to that of his full backs, but Ayala doesnt seem to really fit them. He is certainly not a ball playing centre back, Cunningham was a big upgrade technically, Ayala will be a huge downgrade on the ball compared to Adarabioyo, functional rather than anything else. He is also not the quickest. If we spend all season with both full backs pushed high up, he could well be exposed.

I personally think (goes against me putting a dampener on everything!) that Ayala is a very good signing on the face of it, despite all of this. I consider his age a good thing, he brings experience, he brings know how, leadership, things that wont be measured by data, but he knows how to defend, how to win games, how to keep clean sheets and indeed how to get out of this league. We have lots of young players so experience is what the doctor ordered. 

Someone like Naby Sarr would have ticked all of these boxes. A couple of years younger, technically much better, I dont think he has had injuries. But he is a shit defender.

Edited by roversfan99
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

You haven't a clue about the stress on his body now he's gone from 18s to championship football. He's a small lad too, not built like a rooney.

He will be aching all the time....his legs will be tired every morning he wakes up.

Its not silly at all.

..especially with all those somersaults...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

Massively injury prone

When he said both sides I think he meant both sides of fullback play ie defence and attack.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

@JoeH what are your views on the Ayala deal out of interest? In terms of the reasons you gave for Cunningham not being the signing you want, Ayala falls down on the same points.

Ayala goes against what Mowbray wanted from his central defenders in 2019/20, but in 2020/21 there's much less pressure for passing from the centre-backs. He's slightly older but is a top quality defender for this division, as is Cunningham. 

1 minute ago, JoeH said:

Ayala goes against what Mowbray wanted from his central defenders in 2019/20, but in 2020/21 there's much less pressure for passing from the centre-backs. He's slightly older but is a top quality defender for this division, as is Cunningham. 

Is there? I know we press higher up but there has been a lot of passing at the back in the opening games, especially at Newcastle.

As you say though, he is a top quality defender at his level. 

I personally think that like Ayala, Cunningham is at a good age in terms of giving experience to a young side, he like Nyambe on the other side is capable defensively which is key, as if we leave the centre backs isolated too often, we will continue to concede goals. And I think he is a considerable upgrade going forward on any of our current full backs. Injuries are the main concern, and I dont expect him to sign, although I would be pleasantly surprised.

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Is there? I know we press higher up but there has been a lot of passing at the back in the opening games, especially at Newcastle.

As you say though, he is a top quality defender at his level. 

I personally think that like Ayala, Cunningham is at a good age in terms of giving experience to a young side, he like Nyambe on the other side is capable defensively which is key, as if we leave the centre backs isolated too often, we will continue to concede goals. And I think he is a considerable upgrade going forward on any of our current full backs. Injuries are the main concern, and I dont expect him to sign, although I would be pleasantly surprised.

Cunningham's defensive abilities aren't in question. His pace, injury proneness and ability to get up and down for 90 minutes every game is.

Just now, JoeH said:

Cunningham's defensive abilities aren't in question. His pace, injury proneness and ability to get up and down for 90 minutes every game is.

Like I said, pace isnt essential, the ability to get up and down very much is. But when he plays he does get up and down and gave us an extra dimension pushing on. Unless that has changed with the injury.

16 minutes ago, Jlee1984 said:

Cunningham been linked again?

Think people are just talking about him due to the sheer lack of anyone else being linked!

As an aside I'm a little bit surprised no championship club has come in for Mulgrew. By all accounts Wigan fans were pretty delighted with his displays there - I would have thought a promoted side, or similar, may have taken a punt on him.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Think people are just talking about him due to the sheer lack of anyone else being linked!

As an aside I'm a little bit surprise no championship club has come in for Mulgrew. By all accounts Wigan fans were pretty delighted with his displays there - I would have thought a promoted side, or similar, may have taken a punt on him.

Suspect wages are the issue. Enough to scare off everyone unless we pay a huge slice of wages

4 minutes ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Suspect wages are the issue. Enough to scare off everyone unless we pay a huge slice of wages

Don't think that's it. The max Fleetwood are allowed to contribute is 2.5k p/w and we are still entertaining that. Shouldn't be an issue for a Championship side.

• Like 1

Just now, bluebruce said:

Don't think that's it. The max Fleetwood are allowed to contribute is 2.5k p/w and we are still entertaining that. Shouldn't be an issue for a Championship side.

With Mulgrew's twitter post about loyalty the other week maybe we are seeking a fee or just refusing to pay him up.

Also think Rovers must have still supplementing his wage if he was going to Fleetwood.

He has no pace either which would mean a gamble for a championship club to pay the wages he is on at Rovers.