BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

But we signed when were league 1 club. 

Are you saying Whiteman is another Dack? We paid 750k for him. 

Would you pay 2 million for a league 1 midfielder who is out of contract in 9 months time?

No im not, I dont know how good he is.

We dont have 2m to spend on a player but even if we did, it wouldnt be a midfielder. And if it was, ive no idea if Whiteman is worth 2m or not.

Just a bit simplistic to dismiss it because hes in League 1 without seeimg him play.

Signing another midfielder doesnt have to necessarily hinder Buckley. If he is good enough to start every week for a top 6 chasing team, he will. But we cant be sure that he is so we could do with another one in there ideally, capable of slotting into the team. 

• Like 1

Just now, Paul Mani said:

Dack is the exception to the rule. Just focus on the former king of Ewood, big Richie if you want the rule! Because most League one players struggle.

Hopefully (for Whiteman, his mam and Sparks) Whiteman kicks on and has a good career. But I would be gambling the development of Buckley  or Travis by signing him.

It's not really gambling with their development if we are going to be playing a 3 man midfield. I also have my doubts that Buckley has what it takes. There have been plenty of players who haven't got the move until a bit later in their career. 

• Like 1

Just now, roversfan99 said:

No im not, I dont know how good he is.

We dont have 2m to spend on a player but even if we did, it wouldnt be a midfielder. And if it was, ive no idea if Whiteman is worth 2m or not.

Just a bit simplistic to dismiss it because hes in League 1 without seeimg him play.

Signing another midfielder doesnt have to necessarily hinder Buckley. If he is good enough to start every week for a top 6 chasing team, he will. But we cant be sure that he is so we could do with another one in there ideally, capable of slotting into the team. 

Tbf to Chaddy, I don’t think he is being simplistic. Whiteman has been doing the rounds now for about 18 months now. He’s been watched and I don’t think there’s anything to suggest he’s going to break into our first 11.

Id wanna get a player who could make an immediate impact like a Harrison Reed until Christmas and then get Travis back and crack on.

If Evans and Smallwood were at Doncaster, would Whiteman even get in their team? 

• Like 1

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

It's not really gambling with their development if we are going to be playing a 3 man midfield. I also have my doubts that Buckley has what it takes. There have been plenty of players who haven't got the move until a bit later in their career. 

Of course. There are diamonds. Maybe Whiteman is one, more likely he’s not. I wouldn’t spend £2m on a player who isn’t even pissing League 1

Just now, Paul Mani said:

Tbf to Chaddy, I don’t think he is being simplistic. Whiteman has been doing the rounds now for about 18 months now. He’s been watched and I don’t think there’s anything to suggest he’s going to break into our first 11.

Id wanna get a player who could make an immediate impact like a Harrison Reed until Christmas and then get Travis back and crack on.

If Evans and Smallwood were at Doncaster, would Whiteman even get in their team? 

Have you seen much if any of him to make the judgement that he could get into our best 11? Or that he is no better than Smallwood?

I understand that you are just winding up Sparks Rover but Whiteman may well be capable of slotting into our midfield and improving us, he may not. Either way, we couldnt afford him. Unless Venkys are really willing to sign any cheque ?

1 minute ago, Paul Mani said:

I still dont think we need a centre midfielder. 

Get a good left back in. 

• Like 3

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Have you seen much if any of him to make the judgement that he could get into our best 11? 

Have you seen him? 

I've seen one full game at Sunderland last season as it was on TV plus clips on highlights show. Decent player, but not good enough to be starter here. Plus we got Buckley and Davenport who I think are better. 

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Have you seen much if any of him to make the judgement that he could get into our best 11? Or that he is no better than Smallwood?

I understand that you are just winding up Sparks Rover but Whiteman may well be capable of slotting into our midfield and improving us, he may not. Either way, we couldnt afford him. Unless Venkys are really willing to sign any cheque ?

Argh mate, I had Sparky with my first post!! He come on like a rabid dog to protect his boy!! ?

On a serious note, I’ve genuinely watched at least half a dozen Donny games in the last 12 months especially for him because of the links. He looks tidy and lively in there but I haven’t seen him do anything that our lads couldn’t do in that league. If we’re spending £2m on a CM from League 1 I’d be expecting big things.

Let me ask you a question. Having watched (I assume) Rovers in League 1 and seen how poor the quality is in there what do you think the likes of Travis, Holtby, Rothwell, Johnson and Buckley Even a fully fit Evans would do to it? I reckon they’d walk into any side in that league, including Doncasters. I’d put decent money on Trav, Holtby, Rothwell and Buckley pissing it....

So what makes you think that Whiteman would have a chance of getting into our first 11? 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Buckley has started about 5 games in his entire career.  Scored 1 goal.

Whiteman has nearly 150 and is captain of a top 4 league 1 team....

No comparison for me.  Biased or not.  I know who will have the best career. 

I really don’t think you can possibly know who’ll have the better career. I’d say John Buckley given is younger age would be the bookies favourite to get a Premier League move before Ben Whiteman ever does...

Not that I think either of them are likely to right now.

And Buckley has more goals, starts, minutes and positive apps than you dare to give him credit for.

Edited by JoeH

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Have you seen him? 

I've seen one full game at Sunderland last season as it was on TV plus clips on highlights show. Decent player, but not good enough to be starter here. Plus we got Buckley and Davenport who I think are better. 

How can you judge that Davenport is better than anyone, the lads never started a competitive game for us.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

How can you judge that Davenport is better than anyone, the lads never started a competitive game for us.

Great point about Davenport. On Paper, he’s our weakest link and yet, he’s younger than Whiteman and has played 27 times in the Championship. I think Chaddy is justified in coming to that opinion and bearing the fee involved I’d be inclined to stick with Davenport too.

Of course, all of this doesn’t take into account the managers opinion. Let’s see if Whitemans still in League 1 come October 6th. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Have you seen him? 

9 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Argh mate, I had Sparky with my first post!! He come on like a rabid dog to protect his boy!! ?

On a serious note, I’ve genuinely watched at least half a dozen Donny games in the last 12 months especially for him because of the links. He looks tidy and lively in there but I haven’t seen him do anything that our lads couldn’t do in that league. If we’re spending £2m on a CM from League 1 I’d be expecting big things.

Let me ask you a question. Having watched (I assume) Rovers in League 1 and seen how poor the quality is in there what do you think the likes of Travis, Holtby, Rothwell, Johnson and Buckley Even a fully fit Evans would do to it? I reckon they’d walk into any side in that league, including Doncasters. I’d put decent money on Trav, Holtby, Rothwell and Buckley pissing it....

So what makes you think that Whiteman would have a chance of getting into our first 11? 

I dont remember having seen him play nor have I said that he would get into our team. I have no idea if he would nor could we afford him. One game is certainly not enough to decide he is definitely worse than even 2 young midfielders we have, neither of whom have established themselves yet.

Travis definitely, Holtby definitely, Rothwell, not sure he pissed League 1 last time he was in it. Johnson, quite possibly. Buckley, clearly has talent, very young and yet to fully establish himself.

2 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Great point about Davenport. On Paper, he’s our weakest link and yet, he’s younger than Whiteman and has played 27 times in the Championship. I think Chaddy is justified in coming to that opinion and bearing the fee involved I’d be inclined to stick with Davenport too.

Of course, all of this doesn’t take into account the managers opinion. Let’s see if Whitemans still in League 1 come October 6th. 

Davenport has never started a game for us I dont think. And Whiteman may have been so important to Doncaster that they were refusing to sell at an affordable price.

Its unfair to assume he isnt up to it on such limited views and assumptions 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 47er said:

He's another one where you wonder why we signed him.

Bit unfair. Lad came from City off the back of 17 loan appearances in the championship. Has had a terrible time with injuries but he’s still only 21. I’m not writing him off yet! 

• Like 2

Just now, pjt said:

Ex city player with injuries since he joined and a buy back clause, maybe he will come good yet.

Hope so and yes the injuries won't have helped but the other bit ?  Nah it doesn't mean a lot really, Hart for example ex Liverpool.

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Davenport has never started a game for us I dont think. And Whiteman may have been so important to Doncaster that they were refusing to sell at an affordable price.

Its unfair to assume he isnt up to it on such limited views and assumptions 

Not really mate. I’ve given my reasons and ultimately I’m free to form pretty much any opinion I like.

My issue is that the gap in quality between the two divisions is so big that i find it hard to believe he’d make much of an impact. Added to that, I believe, having watched our own midfielders play many times that those mentioned would walk into Doncaster’s team...or any team in that league. Thus strengthening my resolve around signing Whiteman.

Edited by Paul Mani

18 minutes ago, pjt said:

I think if we had signed the 2018 Davenport 

Don't remember seeing him.  Ifs and buts, sadly a big disappointment and will slip down the divisions.

Meanwhile, my mate Ben is a top player. Strong and can control a game and has a great shot on him.  Get shut of pretenders like Davenport, Jonty etc and bring in proper players...come on Tony youve been flirting for 2 years now....wonder why when you have the likely lads already at your disposal....get your cheque book out man and sign a proper player for our future.. you know you want to....

Edited by Sparks Rover