BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

Just now, JoeH said:

It’s not immaterial. Some posters on here get blasted just for having normal, “I love Player X and he can do no wrong” kind of biases. So when someone is openly and overtly biased towards a player, I think @Paul Mani and others are entitled to question the sensibility of the suggestions.

For someone who get so offended when anyone tries to question your info it's strange you think those rules don't apply to someone else.

And quote the whole thing in context next time. I said his opinion was immaterial to the fact Whiteman is so highly rated elsewhere. i.e. @Sparks Rover is not the only person in the world who thinks Whiteman is quality. Understand?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Whiteman would cost the equivalent of 3 Bradley Dack’s, so we’re not just focusing on the merits of League One signings here, we’re focusing on the merits of spending multi-million pound fees on League One players.

Mani was focussing on the merits of a League 1 player moving up to the Championship, he never mentioned price. Again, your taking things out of context. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TBTF said:

That would leave us paying close to £15k a week for a bloke not to play for us . Add that to the last 9 months when he has also been paid not to play for us and we’ve blown our brains. No wonder football clubs are deep in the soft stuff.

Doesnt really make me want tax payers money to be used to shore up an industry that’s rotten to the core and one that’s certainly no more deserving than any other part of the economy whose plight isn’t any where near as self inflicted as football is. 
The whole thing is pretty sickening tbh especially when it’s been fed to us by the likes of Swaggot on £300k a year .

This is it with football it's just ridiculous yet it's amazing how everyone seems absolved from blame.

Manager and CEO/Owners gave him that it's not the players fault.

Manager & CEO - he was captain and playing well at the time and other clubs were sniffing so we tied him down.

Player - Hey it's not my fault they've dropped me, they offered me that and i signed the legally binding contract.

The whole thing needs a major major reset but meanwhile in the middle....

Agents/advisors - Thanks everybody we couldn't do it without you !

Just now, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Mani was focussing on the merits of a League 1 player moving up to the Championship, he never mentioned price. Again, your taking things out of context. 

But it isn't is it? Paying £250,000 for a player is not as much of a gamble as paying £2,000,000. If we have a set budget then blowing the lot on one player from a League 1 is a massive gamble especially with the number of players we have in midfield.

• Like 4

Just now, dingles staying down 4ever said:

But it isn't is it? Paying £250,000 for a player is not as much of a gamble as paying £2,000,000. If we have a set budget then blowing the lot on one player from a League 1 is a massive gamble especially with the number of players we have in midfield.

That has nothing to do with the post you quoted. 

The train of thought here might just be Mowbray was sweetening him up thinking one of our better mids may be moving on.  A bit of a 'just in case' job.

Might not have wanted to buy him straight off and find a place but fancied him to snap up late if Evans was snapped up or a big Travis bid came in.

Just lining the ducks up as Jack would say but maybe not going to pull the trigger.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Point 1 Questioning somebody's credentials as a Rovers fan is a low blow. 

Point 2 - I don't know much about Whiteman but I do know he's highly rated from everything I've read. Whether @Sparks Rover is his mate or not is immaterial. 

Point 3 - I saw your post that tried to say as he's from league 1 he won't be much cop as the jump in quality to the Champ is too much. Bradley Dack shoots that theory down in flames.?

Point 1 - Why? There’s been many others come on here who haven’t been fans in the past. I don’t see any connection between the way he converses and the best interests of the club. That’s my opinion...it’s no different from people previously suggesting that I work for Venkys because I refuse to ignore the finance they’ve pumped in. I’m sure @Sparks Rover appreciates your support but he’ll be fine.

Point 2 - That’s it though. I’ve watched him and haven’t seen ‘it’ at all. Just a tidy player who might develop into a good championship player. But certainly nothing to suggest he’s better than what we’ve got. As for the hype and him being highly rated, other than Sparks linking him to everyone other than Barcelona and a few Doncaster supporters please point me to it? The closest you can get to a link on google is him being Barnsley’s no.1 target ?

Point 3 - I’m not writing off all League one players. Bradley Dack is the best EXCEPTION to the rule that anyone could use but he is just that, the exception. The jump in quality between League 1 and the Championship is huge, as I’m sure you’ve seen in recent years.

In all honesty no one knows if Whiteman is the next Pirlo or the next Hope Akpan, but I return to my original point that I don’t see any reason that he walks into our team in front of Travis, Holtby, Rothwell, Johnson or Buckley. At the reported price valuation I don’t see the value in spending that money, on that player, in that position.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Point 2 - That’s it though. I’ve watched him and haven’t seen ‘it’ at all. Just a tidy player who might develop into a good championship player. But certainly nothing to suggest he’s better than what we’ve got. As for the hype and him being highly rated, other than Sparks linking him to everyone other than Barcelona and a few Doncaster supporters please point me to it? The closest you can get to a link on google is him being Barnsley’s no.1 target ?

Hang your head calling me a nobbers fan. I'm steeped in the club mate. 

Edited by Sparks Rover

2 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Please stop arguing about Ben Whiteman, it's like a child's argument over who's better.

At the end of the day, he's not had a chance yet in the championship so how can anyone know if he can step up/ be incredible. 

Let's keep this to the summer window.

Ahhh sorry, I didn’t realise we weren’t supposed to be discussing the merits of whether a target for this transfer window is good enough. ??

Let’s get back to chatting about how crap Alan Fettis was then...??

Ah so the latest development now is that "money for contract negotiations" (whatever that means) may have to come out of Mowbray's transfer budget for this year.

This is the first time such a thing has been mentioned.

They're having us on. Its quite clear there's little to no money left in the kitty for whatever reason and Mowbray is now trotting out every excuse going to cover himself.

I'm glad the penny is dropping somewhere as to the perilous situation we are in as to contracts with a raft of first team assets out of contract in the summer and seemingly little work done on securing them on long term deals.

Maybe they all think they are being clever but pretty soon they'll end up with egg on their faces as these players walk away for nothing and we are left with muddled Mowbray trying to replace them all with no money and a flawed recruitment department.

Then we can moan about no money and FFP troubles.

We keep getting these 'updates' on contracts but no indication that it has gone anywhere other than Mowbray thinking about it and wondering about how to do it.

Surely the costs of new contracts are spread over the life of the contract and any wage rises would be covered by those significant wage savings made this summer?

A shambles. 

6 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Point 1 - Why? There’s been many others come on here who haven’t been fans in the past. I don’t see any connection between the way he converses and the best interests of the club. That’s my opinion...it’s no different from people previously suggesting that I work for Venkys because I refuse to ignore the finance they’ve pumped in. 

Excellent, let's look forward to a tit-for-tat feeding frenzy where everyone makes baseless accusations. At least  the Venky comments aimed at you had some reasoning behind them (as you admit). What's your evidence for calling @Sparks Rover a PNE fan??‍♀️

8 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I’m sure @Sparks Rover appreciates your support but he’ll be fine.

Let's not be childish.?

8 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Point 2 - That’s it though. I’ve watched him and haven’t seen ‘it’ at all.

With respect, that's hardly evidence. ?You just might not be a good judge of a player?‍♀️

10 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I’m not writing off all League one players. Bradley Dack is the best EXCEPTION to the rule that anyone could use but he is just that, the exception. The jump in quality between League 1 and the Championship is huge, as I’m sure you’ve seen in recent years.

I'm glad you've corrected you earlier point that being a L1 player means you can't cut it in the league above. Obviously it depends on the player. Mowbray and a few other managers appear to think Whiteman can.?

13 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

In all honesty no one knows if Whiteman is the next Pirlo or the next Hope Akpan, but I return to my original point that I don’t see any reason that he walks into our team in front of Travis, Holtby, Rothwell, Johnson or Buckley.

I don't know much about him but I know he's nothing like Rothwell or Buckley.  He's a big commanding presence who would probably be Travis's direct replacement. In time i'd expect him to play where Holtby plays now with Travis and A N Other flanking him right and left. But who knows?‍♀️

16 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

At the reported price valuation I don’t see the value in spending that money, on that player, in that position.

If he improves the team and increases in value I'd disagree.

Apologies for the overuse of emoji's. I personally find them a bit patronising (especially when you use them)???

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JHRover said:

They're having us on. Its quite clear there's little to no money left in the kitty for whatever reason and Mowbray is now trotting out every excuse going to cover himself.

Personally I read it like he was having a dig at whoever makes the financial decisions.

"We have to look after and protect our assets at our football club in my opinion.  Those are conversations that we’re going to have to have at some stage. You can’t in my opinion just let the assets run down and potentially just walk away.”

6 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Excellent, let's look forward to a tit-for-tat feeding frenzy where everyone makes baseless accusations. At least  the Venky comments aimed at you had some reasoning behind them (as you admit). What's your evidence for calling @Sparks Rover a PNE fan??‍♀️

Let's not be childish.?

With respect, that's hardly evidence. ?You just might not be a good judge of a player?‍♀️

I'm glad you've corrected you earlier point that being a L1 player means you can't cut it in the league above. Obviously it depends on the player. Mowbray and a few other managers appear to think Whiteman can.?

I don't know much about him but I know he's nothing like Rothwell or Buckley.  He's a big commanding presence who would probably be Travis's direct replacement. In time i'd expect him to play where Holtby plays now with Travis and A N Other flanking him right and left. But who knows?‍♀️

If he improves the team and increases in value I'd disagree.

Apologies for the overuse of emoji's. I personally find them a bit patronising (especially when you use them)???

Mute me then baby ?

Edited by Paul Mani

41 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

That has nothing to do with the post you quoted. 

Course it has. If the league one player has never played above that level then it is a gamble. I know any signing is a gamble but risking your whole budget on a player never to have played at your level is just too high a gamble especially when we need to cover over positions as well.

For those quoting Dack, Dack was signed to play at the level he had excelled not at the level above. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Personally I read it like he was having a dig at whoever makes the financial decisions.

"We have to look after and protect our assets at our football club in my opinion.  Those are conversations that we’re going to have to have at some stage. You can’t in my opinion just let the assets run down and potentially just walk away.”

Maybe struggling now to get longer term contracts with big pay rises signed off owing to all the uncertainty.

A way around it is perhaps in cases like NYambe give him a big re-signing fee out of this seasons budget in return for a more modest wage over the next few years ?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Ah so the latest development now is that "money for contract negotiations" (whatever that means) may have to come out of Mowbray's transfer budget for this year.

This is the first time such a thing has been mentioned.

I'm glad the penny is dropping somewhere as to the perilous situation we are in as to contracts with a raft of first team assets out of contract in the summer and seemingly little work done on securing them on long term deals.

Maybe they all think they are being clever but pretty soon they'll end up with egg on their faces as these players walk away for nothing and we are left with muddled Mowbray trying to replace them all with no money and a flawed recruitment department.

Then we can moan about no money and FFP troubles.

We keep getting these 'updates' on contracts but no indication that it has gone anywhere other than Mowbray thinking about it and wondering about how to do it.

Surely the costs of new contracts are spread over the life of the contract and any wage rises would be covered by those significant wage savings made this summer?

A shambles. 

I think the manager sounds frustrated as the landscape around him changes.

But bearing in mind the recent updates on fans not being allowed into grounds, it’s unsurprising if the landscape has changed? 

2 minutes ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Course it has. If the league one player has never played above that level then it is a gamble. I know any signing is a gamble but risking your whole budget on a player never to have played at your level is just too high a gamble especially when we need to cover over positions as well.

For those quoting Dack, Dack was signed to play at the level he had excelled not at the level above. 

Amen.

1 minute ago, tomphil said:

Maybe struggling now to get longer term contracts with big pay rises signed off owing to all the uncertainty.

A way around it is perhaps in cases like NYambe give him a big re-signing fee out of this seasons budget in return for a more modest wage over the next few years ?

or get the player to back his own talent by increasing pay for targets acheived

1 minute ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Sigh. I never mentioned budget, money etc.  Please read the thread and try to understand what was being said.