BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

Just now, OssyLad said:

Those slating Johnson recently, he’s been class these last 3 games ????

He certainly has, but he also started last season well too bud. Let’s not get too carried away but fuck me it’s exciting.

5 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

He certainly has, but he also started last season well too bud. Let’s not get too carried away but fuck me it’s exciting.

Totally agree Mellor, was about to say similar.

Hopefully he carries it on this term rather than tailing off to be awful as he did last.

• Like 1

When Mowbray says he hasn't the budget of previous seasons, it is worth remembering £7m went on slow burner Brereton two years ago and £5m on no burner Gallagher last season.

Doesn't mean he can do absolutely nothing this season.

Back up keeper and left back are essential. Tricky to impossible to get loanees who bench warm though so I would absolutely go flat out to get a loan left back from PL or top flight league abroad and see if we can pick up an established keeper abroad too. Make the most of the EU transition arrangements before that door closes.

Beyond that, how when fit will JRC, Ayala, Evans, Travis, Dack and Gallagher ( let's not forget Butterworth) get back into this team if it keeps clicking like this plus consider Buckley could blossom to be as good as any of them? Plus Chapman.

And that is before the possibility of any of the current crops of under 23 and under 18 really kicking on.

I know it won't happen but if everyone is fit, established first teamers will not even make the subs bench. No chance then for Wharton, Magliore, Mols, Carter, Brennan et Al..

Edited by philipl
  • Like 2

I’m pretty sure we’ll get a keeper and a LB in before October 5th. Interesting to see how sales of Raya and King, internal sales / loan outs effect our ability to sign better players.

The Rovers management team smell blood and they’re not going to want to bring squad fillers in. The next few signings could be the difference between going up and not going up.

Go back and ask Tony!!!

• Like 4

We don’t need much. As Philip mentioned we do have quite a few to come back in already. For me it’s just left back. Bell has had an OK couple of games, he’s been fine but over the length of the season I do feel that’s an area where we are going to get found out. I’m also concerned that we don’t seem to be using Nyambe as much as we should. For me he’s the best RB at the club and we need to get his contract sorted.

I don’t think I would rush to sign a back up keeper if it means we can’t strengthen elsewhere. If Kaminski gets injured we should bring in an emergency loan but if he stays fit, he plays!

6 minutes ago, Ricky said:

We don’t need much. As Philip mentioned we do have quite a few to come back in already. For me it’s just left back. Bell has had an OK couple of games, he’s been fine but over the length of the season I do feel that’s an area where we are going to get found out. I’m also concerned that we don’t seem to be using Nyambe as much as we should. For me he’s the best RB at the club and we need to get his contract sorted.

I don’t think I would rush to sign a back up keeper if it means we can’t strengthen elsewhere. If Kaminski gets injured we should bring in an emergency loan but if he stays fit, he plays!

Nyambe has started 1 league game, which was lost, and been on the bench for the other 2 which were won 5-0 and 4-0; I am not sure his exclusion has anything to do with contracts. Maybe the team gels better with JRC instead.

11 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Nyambe has started 1 league game, which was lost, and been on the bench for the other 2 which were won 5-0 and 4-0; I am not sure his exclusion has anything to do with contracts. Maybe the team gels better with JRC instead.

The right side of defence did look abit vulnerable when Nyambe came on for JRC. Not sure if Nyambe was mentally prepared to play at all in this game.

22 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Away at Bournemouth is a bit more of a test to be fair. That’s been our toughest game by a long shot. Shame we weren’t playing them now and full of confidence. I think it could have made for a different game. Think Williams has been solid and got a couple of goals as well. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, yellowsubmarine said:

The right side of defence did look abit vulnerable when Nyambe came on for JRC. Not sure if Nyambe was mentally prepared to play at all in this game.

Think that was more about Chapman - who I thought (cross for Armstrong apart,) looked poor

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Think that was more about Chapman - who I thought (cross for Armstrong apart,) looked poor

Agree with that. Dolan tracks back and had also scared the life out their wing back.  When he went off, it was noticeable how their wingback attacked a lot more.  Couple of occasions Chapman didn't run back or put in a half assed tackle.

Chapman gong forward is decent back up but he just doesn't have the defensive side in him. It's clear as day in this system. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, OssyLad said:

Those slating Johnson recently, he’s been class these last 3 games ????

Injuries can work in mysterious ways sometimes. 

Maybe he's gonna stand up and be counted now Travis is out too.

Adam Armstrong actually turned a massive corner when Dacky got injured and look at him now!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ossydave said:

Injuries can work in mysterious ways sometimes. 

Maybe he's gonna stand up and be counted now Travis is out too.

Adam Armstrong actually turned a massive corner when Dacky got injured and look at him now!

Strikers are strange beasts.  Armstrong's all round play has been pretty dire in these last 3 games, yet he's top of the charts!  

Personally I still think we need 3 or 4 in though with budget restrictions don't think it will happen. 

Everyone is in agreement about a back up keeper and left back. Left back is our biggest weakness in the first 11, whilst a back up keeper is like breakdown insurance. If you need to call on it, you are very glad you have it. 

I think CM is a huge priority. How long can Johnson keep his form and fitness up? Even if he does and he and Rothwell are forming a good partnership, after that the cupboard is bare. Travis has a long term injury , Evans is always injured and cannot be relied upon. (Seriously get rid and have someone available for more than half our games.) Davenport I feel TM doesn't rate or trust. So one injury , suspension or drop of form in cm and we are struggling. 

I also think a wide forward is needed. Perhaps less so with Gally and Dack to come back but both strike me as more central players leaving us a bit short out wide. Sure Armstrong can play there but outside of that it's a bit thin. Again I think TM doesn't rate or trust (and not sure I do either.) That leaves us with issues of natural level with Bereton, that all 3 wide players are young and may have a drop off in confidence/may find the season grueling and we don't want to put too much pressure on them, whilst JRC also is sometimes called to serve as full back. Add in injuries and suspensions and a wide forward seems like an astute addition. 

That said this is all a wish list and probably won't happen. We can only hope Venkys see the league position, get excited and free up some more funds. 

3 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

I’m pretty sure we’ll get a keeper and a LB in before October 5th. Interesting to see how sales of Raya and King, internal sales / loan outs effect our ability to sign better players.

The Rovers management team smell blood and they’re not going to want to bring squad fillers in. The next few signings could be the difference between going up and not going up.

Go back and ask Tony!!!

If I was Tony, I would go To Venkys as say give me 5 million to spend and I will get you in the playoffs. 

Unrforutnely I dont think he will do this as by saying that if he does not make the playoffs his neck will be on the chopping board.

We/Venkys are kind of in a stick or twist scenario! 

• Like 1