SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

36 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

I think CM is a huge priority.

Agreed

36 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

I also think a wide forward is needed.

Let's call them wingers - we've only got 2 - Chapman and Dolan. A goal and assist from them yesterday. Better than a season of watching Gally fall over his own feet on the wing (not his fault, he should never play there). Dolan has already proved in 2 games the folly in playing a target man on the wing. What a waste of a position that was last season.

I would love a left winger.

• Like 1

There is a a lot of talent in the wings. For me those players are witnessing the hard graft and solid play that is evident on the pitch. They have to buy into it themselves and they will know what it will take to break into the starting 11 that includes Dack and Travis when fit. Long may it continue but we do need a left back option and a back up keeper. I agree players will see how Rovers have set their stall out and will want to be part of it . The game by game plan might just work so bring on cardiff and put them to the sword

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

There is a a lot of talent in the wings. For me those players are witnessing the hard graft and solid play that is evident on the pitch. They have to buy into it themselves and they will know what it will take to break into the starting 11 that includes Dack and Travis when fit. Long may it continue but we do need a left back option and a back up keeper. I agree players will see how Rovers have set their stall out and will want to be part of it . The game by game plan might just work so bring on cardiff and put them to the sword

I agree other teams will be looking at us and thinking what can they do to hurt us. For me it's pretty simple - stick a man marker on Holtby, play a classic front two with a big guy who can win the ball in the air consistently and a nippy striker who can get in behind, and every time you get it you play it long to the target man or in behind the full backs. It bypassees the gegenpresse and exploits the fact that we have so many players pushed up at any given time, and we are weak in the air at the back.

Reckon once teams figure that out it will get a lot more tricky. But that's always the way with tactic and formations, they get accommodated for.

Edited by joey_big_nose
  • Like 1

If we are looking at left back on loan then I wonder of we looking at Sam McQueen from Southampton or Barry Douglas from Leeds. 

I think Left back and back up keeper signings needs then I would be very happy with the squad. 

I disagree with Mowbray that we need a centre midfielder. and we don't need a player for the front 3 either. 

Plus we need to sort the contract situation of Rankin-Costello, Nyambe, Holtby, Dolan, Armstrong and Dack. 

5 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I agree other teams will be looking at us and thinking what can they do to hurt us. For me it's pretty simple - stick a man marker on Holtby, play a classic front two with a big guy who can win the ball in the air consistently and a nippy striker who can get in behind, and every time you get it you play it long to the target man or in behind the full backs. It bypassee the gegenpresse and exploits the fact that we have so many players pushed up at any given time, and we are weak in the air at the back.

Reckon once teams figure that out it will get a lot more tricky. But that's always the way with tactic and formations, they get accommodated for.

Wouldn't disagree but which clubs in this division have the personnel to play that way effectively and counter the gegenpressing we are now using?

This league is wide open.

A huge test of Venky's ambition and nous.

Two, maybe three, very shrewd signings might, just might get us back into the PL providing our manager doesn't bottle it and revert to type.

Bigger tests to come.  Think Wycombe will be the whipping boys for all teams and Derby are just a shambles.  Having said that, you can only beat the opposition in front of you and 5-0 and 4-0 wins are pretty convincing.

This may well be the season which gives Venky's the opportunity (through promotion) to recoup big parts of their losses.  Waggott and Mowbray MUST get their pitch to them right.

Edited by Mercer

4 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

They did, hasn't he gone to Carlisle ?

Where Dolan nearly ended up? Hope he wasn't anywhere near as good then. Imagine getting two stars off them for free and fixing our main problem position in the meantime ?

1 hour ago, joey_big_nose said:

I agree other teams will be looking at us and thinking what can they do to hurt us. For me it's pretty simple - stick a man marker on Holtby, play a classic front two with a big guy who can win the ball in the air consistently and a nippy striker who can get in behind, and every time you get it you play it long to the target man or in behind the full backs. It bypassees the gegenpresse and exploits the fact that we have so many players pushed up at any given time, and we are weak in the air at the back.

Nonsense. How many teams in this league are gonna have a player capable of man marking holtby and a tadational front 2 good enough to cause us major problems. 

This looks to be a weak enough league this year. Definitely our best chance in a long time to make in an impact on the top 6. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Roverinbelfast said:

Nonsense. How many teams in this league are gonna have a player capable of man marking holtby and a tadational front 2 good enough to cause us major problems. 

This looks to be a weak enough league this year. Definitely our best chance in a long time to make in an impact on the top 6. 

If you think we've suddenly become invincible be prepared to be disappointed!

6 minutes ago, Neal said:

Mainly because he's actually a right winger...

even tony`s sometimes slavish loyalty can`t put gally back out wide,if dolan is injured or unavailable then chapman has shown he`s ready to step in,if he`s not fit then jrc can play there,the days of us seeing gally out wide are over,thank ****,i can`t see how he`s going to get back in the side tbh

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Roverinbelfast said:

Celtic did it with Tugay when we played them years ago. Whenever we had the ball they had Chris Sutton man marking him and they played us out of the game.

19 minutes ago, Mercer said:

This league is wide open.

A huge test of Venky's ambition and nous.

Two, maybe three, very shrewd signings might, just might get us back into the PL providing our manager doesn't bottle it and revert to type.

Bigger tests to come.  Think Wycombe will be the whipping boys for all teams and Derby are just a shambles.  Having said that, you can only beat the opposition in front of you and 5-0 and 4-0 wins are pretty convincing.

This may well be the season which gives Venky's the opportunity (through promotion) to recoup big parts of their losses.  Waggott and Mowbray MUST get their pitch to them right.

And with fans not being allowed back into grounds FFP or whatever it is must now be scrapped, get on to Sulihal and Venkys HQ, give us some money and we can go places.Also we are very exciting to watch, Just an observation, after watching Simon Grayson on EFL quest thank god we didnt get him as manager, what a boring boring chap.

Just now, Roverinbelfast said:

We won't face many Chris Suttons in this league thankfully. 

Man marking is the easy part. Just running around with the guy you're marking makes it more difficult for his team mates to pass to him. You just need a tenacious guy with a good engine. Having said that the way the game is referreed these days you'd have to be careful tackling.

It's what you do when your own team has the ball that's the hard bit. Clever teams let the marker have the ball and lure him away from the guy he's supposed to be marking. You need to be disciplined, stay with your man and if you win the ball find a team mate ASAP.

If the owners or their advisors have watched the first 3 games, two thrashings and an unfortunate defeat against one of the favourites, they would be finding whatever funds Mowbray wants to fill in gaps in the squad.

This may be their best chance at promotion in an altogether weak division, especially when 3 of the big spenders and so called big clubs are having nightmares down at the bottom end.

No doubt that at least one side going up won't be expected to, that could be us but it requires conviction and a gamble.

Would be a shame if we fall short through not adding the depth we need and then this team gets broken up next summer.

• Like 8