BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

45 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Celtic did it with Tugay when we played them years ago. Whenever we had the ball they had Chris Sutton man marking him and they played us out of the game.

Not sure many teams will have the target man who can for one be disciplined enough to stick with Holtby  when out of possession but then suddenly get himself up top to win the flick ons this mythical target man sounds a good player

• Like 1

• Backroom

At the very least I think we need a backup goalie and a first team LB before the window closes. We can make do without another CM, striker or even wide players - but I wouldn't be hugely comfortable relying on an emergency loan if Kaminski gets injured, and even though Bell has looked okay in the past couple of games we've all seen enough of him to know he's realistically not good enough as a first teamer for a team with top six aspirations. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Mercer said:

This league is wide open.

A huge test of Venky's ambition and nous.

Two, maybe three, very shrewd signings might, just might get us back into the PL providing our manager doesn't bottle it and revert to type.

Bigger tests to come.  Think Wycombe will be the whipping boys for all teams and Derby are just a shambles.  Having said that, you can only beat the opposition in front of you and 5-0 and 4-0 wins are pretty convincing.

This may well be the season which gives Venky's the opportunity (through promotion) to recoup big parts of their losses.  Waggott and Mowbray MUST get their pitch to them right.

Mowbray has made it clear there won't be a pitch to them. 'Not the right time' to ask them for more funds apparently. Real shame as I think a leaky defence is the only thing that could derail us this year.

Still buzzing after the win last night, but looking back with a critical eye I think there are still concerns in both full back areas.

Nyambe was quite poor when he came on. His positioning was awful and he got caught out several times at the back. Bell had one of his better games, but there was 1 or 2 moments he got beat too easily by his man. With JRC injured, we lack depth at both LB and RB. Bennett is also not good enough as a full back and I get the feeling that Mowbray will look to play him in the middle this season if he’s needed.

More depth needed and I hope we do sign at least one full back before the window shuts.

6 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Mowbray has made it clear there won't be a pitch to them. 'Not the right time' to ask them for more funds apparently. Real shame as I think a leaky defence is the only thing that could derail us this year.

I now believe that Mowbray doesn't tell the fans the truth when it comes to transfers. He says something different every time he's asked. I wouldn't be surprised if we stumped up a decent transfer fee over the next couple of weeks. He likes to keep his cards close to his chest and there are very few rumours regarding Rovers. Nicko clearly has no contacts at Rovers. I don't mind being completely oblivious to whats happening behind the scenes if we sign decent players! 

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Gamst said:

I now believe that Mowbray doesn't tell the fans the truth when it comes to transfers. He says something different every time he's asked. I wouldn't be surprised if we stumped up a decent transfer fee over the next couple of weeks. He likes to keep his cards close to his chest and there are very few rumours regarding Rovers. Nicko clearly has no contacts at Rovers. I don't mind being completely oblivious to whats happening behind the scenes if we sign decent players! 

It's possible, I do agree he keeps saying different things (the picture might be changing though). Personally I suspect it's more down to him not really knowing/fully understanding the situation regarding the budget. He is a football man, not a finances man. With the changing picture due to grounds staying closed too, makes sense he would say wrong and contradictory things at times, as he does like to tall and talk. Some comments may be affected by his frustrations over the difficulties too.

Waggott, however, should have a good grasp on the finances and he claims we are at a precarious point in the club's history. He, however, is a man I don't trust, so it certainly could be spin to sell tickets and get other clubs to drop prices. Which in the case of the latter, I can actually get behind. Sometimes you can't just be honest, sadly.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Celtic did it with Tugay when we played them years ago. Whenever we had the ball they had Chris Sutton man marking him and they played us out of the game.

Yeah exactly. You hardly need Makelele, just someone who can sit on the playmaker and make it difficult for him. A Smallwood type can do it. Similarly you hardly need Crouch and Defoe up front either if your playing long. Just someone who can get their head on it and someone who can run in behind.

I'm not saying if other teams start playing long we will always lose or anything like that, just we've played a couple of naive teams in Wycombe and Derby who were suckers for our system. Other clubs will now be taking note and adjusting their plans to exploit our weaknesses. I doubt we will have such an easy ride at Cardiff. Hopefully I'm wrong.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Yeah exactly. You hardly need Makelele, just someone who can sit on the playmaker and make it difficult for him. A Smallwood type can do it. Similarly you hardly need Crouch and Defoe up front either if your playing long. Just someone who can get their head on it and someone who can run in behind.

I'm not saying if other teams start playing long we will always lose or anything like that, just we've played a couple of naive teams in Wycombe and Derby who were suckers for our system. Other clubs will now be taking note and adjusting their plans to exploit our weaknesses. I doubt we will have such an easy ride at Cardiff. Hopefully I'm wrong.

I actually think our biggest problem would be teams that double up on the wings. Bournemouth did that at times, and it can be hard for our midfield 3 to cover the width. Sheff United and Leeds were very good at overloading the flanks which made it very difficult for us too defend. Fortunatly there aren't to many teams in the Championship with that quality left.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, briansol said:

I actually think our biggest problem would be teams that double up on the wings. Bournemouth did that at times, and it can be hard for our midfield 3 to cover the width. Sheff United and Leeds were very good at overloading the flanks which made it very difficult for us too defend. Fortunatly there aren't to many teams in the Championship with that quality left.

Yeah that's another way to skin the cat. More risky than going long though as it leaves big gaps in behind on the flanks for Dolan, Armstrong et al to exploit on the counter.

18 minutes ago, Uxbridge rover said:

Ironic how we scoffed when on arrival the V’s announced with great fanfare a cash injection of £5m per season. I laughed at the time but now ...

They missed a 2 off the front of that unless they really meant 5 mill per season for the club the other 20 directly into pockets or down the drain.

54 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I don't think we paid £5million for his abilities as a centre back to be honest.

No, but he was more than capable there. To be fair, he'd comfortably walk into a CB slot in our current side.  

Seems a lack of players who can play both up front and CB these days.  Used to be a few.  

It was interesting listening to Matt Elliott during the Leicester friendly talk about Emile Heskey.  Said he was easily the best defender  at the club but they needed him to play up front as he was good for them there!

3 hours ago, Miker said:

Still buzzing after the win last night, but looking back with a critical eye I think there are still concerns in both full back areas.

Nyambe was quite poor when he came on. His positioning was awful and he got caught out several times at the back. Bell had one of his better games, but there was 1 or 2 moments he got beat too easily by his man. With JRC injured, we lack depth at both LB and RB. Bennett is also not good enough as a full back and I get the feeling that Mowbray will look to play him in the middle this season if he’s needed.

More depth needed and I hope we do sign at least one full back before the window shuts.

Astonishing thing to say. We have 2 absolutely fantastic right backs. Probably the best in the division.

6 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

No, but he was more than capable there. To be fair, he'd comfortably walk into a CB slot in our current side.  

Seems a lack of players who can play both up front and CB these days.  Used to be a few.  

It was interesting listening to Matt Elliott during the Leicester friendly talk about Emile Heskey.  Said he was easily the best defender  at the club but they needed him to play up front as he was good for them there!

They used to reckon Pele was the best goalkeeper in the Brazil squad ! He was supposed to be the stand in goalie before we had sub goalies.

1 minute ago, Vilesinner said:

Astonishing thing to say. We have 2 absolutely fantastic right backs. Probably the best in the division.

I can never under stand why guys like Nyambe don't work harder on their ability to play on the other flank. I always reckoned you had two chances of getting into the team instead of one if you could play right or left back.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, EgyptianPete said:

And with fans not being allowed back into grounds FFP or whatever it is must now be scrapped, get on to Sulihal and Venkys HQ, give us some money and we can go places.Also we are very exciting to watch, Just an observation, after watching Simon Grayson on EFL quest thank god we didnt get him as manager, what a boring boring chap.

As much as I really want us to get the funds and spend, because we really can get the job done with a decent defence...

It would actually be irresponsible to overspend on the assumption FFP will be lifted. And I suspect they're not going to announce any changes to it until after the window shuts, to scare clubs into avoiding spending in an uncertain climate.

Personally I'd still want to take the gamble, we may fail FFP anyway and the riches on offer for the gamble succeeding are immense. This is on the assumption that Waggot's talk implying the club is on the edge of disaster if we don't be careful is just bluster. It isn't worth risking oblivion otherwise.