BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

Ultimately the career that players have post Rovers is irrelevant when judging their performances here.

There could be a number of factors as to why Rhodes has struggled since he left. Maybe he was at his peak here, maybe his confidence has suffered, he was loved here, Karanka didnt seem to particularly want him at Boro and then he went at Sheffield Wednesday and got to the stage where he didnt take a penalty in the play offs.

Conversly, Josh King only really had one or two good games here and he didnt hit the ground running at Bournemouth. His injuries seemed to decrease, playing with better players and better coaches he improved. Doesnt mean that we werent right to play the 2 strikers scoring 20 goals each.

Compare Nikola Kalinic and Roque Santa Cruz, the former has had a far better career since he left Rovers than the other, but it doesnt mean that he was a better player for Rovers.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, bigbrandjohn said:

The good news is that whoever we are talking to will take a look at our results and league position and be attracted by the possibilities.

Big clubs Wednesday, Forest, Derby not so much. 

Exactly, now is the time to grab the high quality loans. People will see how we are playing, great on the eye, scoring lots of goals - who wouldnt want to come here?

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Ultimately the career that players have post Rovers is irrelevant when judging their performances here.

There could be a number of factors as to why Rhodes has struggled since he left. Maybe he was at his peak here, maybe his confidence has suffered, he was loved here, Karanka didnt seem to particularly want him at Boro and then he went at Sheffield Wednesday and got to the stage where he didnt take a penalty in the play offs.

Conversly, Josh King only really had one or two good games here and he didnt hit the ground running at Bournemouth. His injuries seemed to decrease, playing with better players and better coaches he improved. Doesnt mean that we werent right to play the 2 strikers scoring 20 goals each.

Compare Nikola Kalinic and Roque Santa Cruz, the former has had a far better career since he left Rovers than the other, but it doesnt mean that he was a better player for Rovers.

Quite right. But how a player fares after they leave Rovers can certainly indicate whether we got the most out of them and what they could have been capable of. It’s not an exact science by any means but I don’t think it’s irrelevant.

3 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

Quite right. But how a player fares after they leave Rovers can certainly indicate whether we got the most out of them and what they could have been capable of. It’s not an exact science by any means but I don’t think it’s irrelevant.

Of course I appreciate that, and in this example, you could think what if Josh King had have played every week. But ultimately, there is no way that Rhodes could have been justifiably dropped. At that point, even though it was clearly him right at the peak of his career, he was performing to an incredibly high standard, and it wasnt a change of striker that was required.

4 minutes ago, rigger said:

Has anybody heard about possible signing of Felix Goddard?

Thought Burnely and Bayern Munich were in for him

Would be a coup though. 

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/transfer-news/burnley-face-bayern-munich-battle-18788315

Edited by JacknOry

22 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If Rhodes is that good why don't we offer to swap him for Armstrong ? I'm sure his current club would be interested.

If right now you offered me the Jordan Rhodes we signed for Armstrong I think I'd take it.

Right now is obviously a different matter, and it's a bit of a silly statement to make.

1 minute ago, Mellor Rover said:

If right now you offered me the Jordan Rhodes we signed for Armstrong I think I'd take it.

Right now is obviously a different matter, and it's a bit of a silly statement to make.

I don't think I would. I prefer having somebody up front with pace. There will be Premier League clubs watching Armstrong now, I don't remember any Premier League clubs giving Rhodes much of a look.

• Like 1

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I don't think I would. I prefer having somebody up front with pace. There will be Premier League clubs watching Armstrong now, I don't remember any Premier League clubs giving Rhodes much of a look.

Game has changed, you rarely see two strikers up top any more. I know Rhodes did play up front on his own sometimes but more often than not it was with Gestede. Strikers these days need more about them, ie pace. Loved Rhodes though and anyone trying to rewrite history need to look at the goals he cored for us.

14 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Game has changed, you rarely see two strikers up top any more. I know Rhodes did play up front on his own sometimes but more often than not it was with Gestede. Strikers these days need more about them, ie pace. Loved Rhodes though and anyone trying to rewrite history need to look at the goals he cored for us.

That was part of the problem. When we were playing two up front lots of our opponents made do with one. Their five in midfield usually got the better of our four.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

1 minute ago, JacknOry said:

Rhodes had his most prolific season playing in his first season in a 4-4-1-1, with either Gomes, Kazim Richards, Dunn and Rochina playing as number 10s, and then towards the end of that season, in a 4-3-3/4-5-1. He got 28 league goals.

He consistently scored goals for us regardless of the style played (including when we went direct to suit Gestede) the formation played or the players around him.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

Armstrong poses a threat wherever he is on the pitch. He can score goals from anywhere. He’s not as prolific as Rhodes (yet) but causes problems inside and outside the box. The threat of his pace causes issues even when he doesn’t have the ball. Armstrong can score out of nothing and if keeps this form up will be on his way soon enough. 

I don’t think anyone was surprised when Rhodes struggled in the PL simply because he doesn’t have the attributes. He’s done remarkably well in the Championship considering and we certainly got the best out of him. Hopefully he can avoid slipping down the leagues to find form. Got a lot of time for him and his record here is undoubtedly impressive.

Fair comments Armstrong has more in his locker and as we've seen with King pace can get you a long way used correctly. His weak point is up top on his own having balls hoofed he's like a lost boy unless it drops in front of him to race onto.  Thankfully we seem to have dispensed with that.

For balance JR because of his lack of aggression was often anonymous in similar play but surprisingly still poached his fair share of goals from the hoof. Lacked the direct pace and strength but still had a canny knack of losing his markers and having a yard on them.  All in the head with Rhodes rather than the legs.

6 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Fair comments Armstrong has more in his locker and as we've seen with King pace can get you a long way used correctly. His weak point is up top on his own having balls hoofed he's like a lost boy unless it drops in front of him to race onto.  Thankfully we seem to have dispensed with that.

For balance JR because of his lack of aggression was often anonymous in similar play but surprisingly still poached his fair share of goals from the hoof. Lacked the direct pace and strength but still had a canny knack of losing his markers and having a yard on them.  All in the head with Rhodes rather than the legs.

What I liked about Rhodes was he rarely blasted the ball, he just gave it enough to get it to the back of the net. He went for placement and accuracy rather than power. He had as cool as head in front of goal as I've seen from a striker. Very unflappable and calm, he never got over excited with a chance.

What let him down was he wasn't blessed with any sort of pace and he wasn't physical. If you ever went on the Boro site or the Sheff Wed site the critics were saying exactly the same of his time there.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

What I liked about Rhodes was he rarely blasted the ball, he just gave it enough to get it to the back of the net. He went for placement and accuracy rather than power. He had as cool as head in front of goal as I've seen from a striker. Very unflappable and calm, he never got over excited with a chance.

What let him down was he wasn't blessed with any sort of pace and he wasn't physical. If you ever went on the Boro site or the Sheff Wed site the critics were saying exactly the same of his time there.

The Huddersfield fans said the exact same thing when we bought him, coming of a 40 league goal season when they were promoted from League One. Played off Lee Novak as strike partner and lots of crosses for them I recall. Think he even scored 5 goals in one game.

Exceptional finisher, with both feet and head as well. His weaknesses has been well covered but I agree with the sentiment that we should appreciate his time here. We had him at his peak, seemingly a very decent person, wish him all the best the for the future which is not back here.

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, Butty said:

We had one season where Rhodes AND Gestede scored 20+ league goals EACH. Don’t even dare say those two had any bearing on us not finishing in the top six! 

What a squad that was!

Paul Robinson, Nyambe, Hanley, Shane Duffy, M Olsson, Ben Marshall, Evans, Cairney, Conway, Rhodes, Gestede, Josh King, Lenihan, Jack O'Connell (!), Mahoney, David Dunn, Raya,

Incredible with that squad and Gestede/Rhodes with 20+ goals a piece could not reach the play-offs.  

• Like 2