BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Rhodes had his most prolific season playing in his first season in a 4-4-1-1, with either Gomes, Kazim Richards, Dunn and Rochina playing as number 10s, and then towards the end of that season, in a 4-3-3/4-5-1. He got 28 league goals.

He consistently scored goals for us regardless of the style played (including when we went direct to suit Gestede) the formation played or the players around him.

And we got nowhere 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, briansol said:

What a squad that was!

Paul Robinson, Nyambe, Hanley, Shane Duffy, M Olsson, Ben Marshall, Evans, Cairney, Conway, Rhodes, Gestede, Josh King, Lenihan, Jack O'Connell (!), Mahoney, David Dunn, Raya,

Incredible with that squad and Gestede/Rhodes with 20+ goals a piece could not reach the play-offs.  

Over 120 goals conceded in our 2 nearly years. 4 keepers sharing the games (including a past it Robbo, Raya who was just a kid, Eastwood and Jake Kean) and massively unsettled defence. We must have played over 10 different CB partnerships in those 2 years. Between Duffy, Kilgallon, Hanley, Spurr, Baptiste, Keane and Dann. That's before you even mention the plethora of different fullbacks we played as well.

And thinking about it, I couldn't even hazard a guess at what our first choice back 4 was either year. Or even CB pairing. Or keeper. It was all over the place back there.

Edited by XLM
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

What I liked about Rhodes was he rarely blasted the ball, he just gave it enough to get it to the back of the net. He went for placement and accuracy rather than power. He had as cool as head in front of goal as I've seen from a striker. Very unflappable and calm, he never got over excited with a chance.

What let him down was he wasn't blessed with any sort of pace and he wasn't physical. If you ever went on the Boro site or the Sheff Wed site the critics were saying exactly the same of his time there.

Yes he had that deft touch it must've been something he learned as a youngster as i doubt he ever had much power in him. He always struck me as someone who'd worked really hard to master his craft rather than having natural ability, def had natural instincts though. He would have been some player if he'd mastered the target man side of it as well.

Doesn't seem to have been posted here (understandably) but we have signed a goalie... a 16 year old one released from City. Obviously for the under 18s, but after Dolan, who knows ?

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18754452.rovers-sign-teenage-goalkeeper-manchester-city-release/

(Apologies, hadn't read the bottom half of the previous page, it was mentioned)

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Give over.

He’s done remarkably well in the Championship considering ???

His glaring weaknesses... No pace, strength or notable technical ability and yet he managed to score regularly. Relied on intelligence and a poachers instinct. It’s genuinely impressive how far that has taken him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Colin Kazim-Richards was an underrated player for us. Think we made an error not getting him in after his loan. Think he gave us something we never really replaced back then - attitude wise.

Convicted of using horrible homophobic gestures whilst playing for us. No thanks and good riddance.

Edited by danger19_80
  • Like 4

• Backroom
7 minutes ago, DaveyB said:

Not a phrase I thought I'd ever read. What a plank he was.

Edited by Mike E

13 hours ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

His glaring weaknesses... No pace, strength or notable technical ability and yet he managed to score regularly. Relied on intelligence and a poachers instinct. It’s genuinely impressive how far that has taken him.

I agree on that, the rest is just your opinion which is fair enough.

(No) notable technical ability - Get real, he invariably passed the ball into the net when scoring

A stat I would like to see is how many defensive interceptions he made in our area from corners and freekicks, I believe it will be ok for a player frequently accused by his detractors of a lack of work ethic.

It annoys me when posters invent, even politely in the view of some, myths about our players.

Bottom line his job was to score goals and in that one of the best I've ever seen and I've seen our strikers in live action since the late and great Fred Pickering.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I agree on that, the rest is just your opinion which is fair enough.

(No) notable technical ability - Get real, he invariably passed the ball into the net when scoring

A stat I would like to see is how many defensive interceptions he made in our area from corners and freekicks, I believe it will be ok for a player frequently accused by his detractors of a lack of work ethic.

It annoys me when posters invent, even politely in the view of some, myths about our players.

Bottom line his job was to score goals and in that one of the best I've ever seen and I've seen our strikers in live action since the late and great Fred Pickering.

That's a good point about interceptions. Remember having a convo with my mate at a game about him defending corners well. 

Probably when we were moaning about our defenders !

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Darrenbot said:

I can't see him moving to them.Torino are not big spenders so if he moves there the fee won't be anywhere near as much as what it would be if he moved to a Premier League team.

Nightmare scenario for us would be a loan move as I'm sure he's only got a year or two left on his deal at Bournemouth.